1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Star Chamber by Savile - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Belnmore, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Belnmore

Belnmore Muggle

Title: The Star Chamber
    Author: Savile
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Suspense
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 17,756
    Updated: August 12, 2013
    Published: July 19, 2013
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: Harry/Daphne
    Summary:
    The Sorting Hat said I was ambitious, I guess it just took me a while to figure out what ambition meant. Dark Political Harry, Post DH.

Link: The Star Chamber

I have been looking around for a good new Harry Potter fic for quite some time and I think this might just be it.

It is quite a good representation of Political!Harry without being to overly cliche about it. While the fic is quite new and could still turn in many directions, I would hedge a bet that this does have the potential to become a 5/5.

For now I am giving it a hesitant 4/5, waiting to see which direction it will take.

EDIT by Minion: There are a few stickies, right under the button 'New Thread', saying "READ BEFORE POSTING". Next time please read them and use the correct posting format.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Eh. It needs a beta. The idea is quite interesting though, and while Harry is quite OOC, I am nonetheless interested in what will happen to him and what he plans to do.

3/5 for now, has the potential to go up if the writing improves.

Edit : just rewatched House of Cards. It's waaaay too similar. It might not be plagiarism but it's close.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Darth V

Darth V First Year DLP Supporter

Grammar is not very good. Saw a couple of "you're" instead of "your" and I'm not even going to start on the punctuation.

All in all, it's a pretty 'meh' story, in my opinion. The characters are pretty bland and, so far, the story seems to be about Harry getting control of the ministry for no reason whatsoever.

2.5/5 rounded to 2/5 for me.

4. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's very much a House of Cards fanfic in the HP world. Grammar is bad too.

5. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I'd be fine with a House of Cards! Fic if it weren't both bland and somewhat horrible to read. It's a shitty story, and all of it's problems made me x out before I even finished the first chapter.

I'd give it a solid 2/5.

6. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

This is entertaining; certainly feels original. Need to read more before I can rate it though.

7. Photon

Photon Order Member

please, look at https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=20438 and fix your posting format

About story: First paragraph of story is missing a dot, only three chapters. I think that I am not going to read it (and rate it).

Quick check reveals also that Daphne is introduced after some variation of "Hermione betrayed Harry".

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Surprised no one mentioned the format until Buls.

And Sesc had a surprisingly good review for it in the Almost Rec thread, i'd link but on phone. Will def give it a go, as it seems to be in the style I like.

9. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

I reviewed it in Almost Rec. thread. Didn't notice it had already been put up for review. Blame others for putting up so many fics for review. :p

It's a fun read, yes. But as I said, it's lacking proper technical details. So, I don't think it belongs to the library. If it had been well rounded fic, yes; but as it is right now, certainly no. More of a casual read, or, perhaps, a guilty pleasure sort of fic.

3/5.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Why the fuck is this here, when it was just (and for all the right reasons) posted in the Almost Recced thread? So this thread actually precedes the post there. Still, it definitely belongs there and not here, and the overall point remains;

More to the point, why do you write

and then post it anyway? Rules (which clearly you hadn't bothered to read, considering the lacking posting format). Don't post things unless you're certain it's good enough for the Library. And not eventually, but good enough right now.

Edit: Clarified the rules. Didn't think that was necessary :s

11. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

It felt somewhat original, but that may be because I haven't read House of Cards. Were all the little details like the stones and the chief cane from there? The whole system was an interesting change of pace from the largely hereditary Wizengamot that has become fanon.

12. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

Ditto what Rhys stated. I get that there are lot of problems in syntax and whatnot, but the author is at least trying to get away from the cookie cutter stories that make up 90% of HP fan-fiction. Sad really that we don't have truly AU HP fanfics (cough...cough..Taure update plz!..cough)

Anyways, will keep an eye on the story. 3/5 for originality.