1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Strange Disappearance of SallyAnne Perks by Paimpont

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ray243, Oct 2, 2010.

1. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Title: The Strange Disappearance of SallyAnne Perks
    Author: Paimpont
    Rating: T
    Genre: Mystery/Suspense
    DLP Category: General Fics
    Pairing:Unknown
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 36,835
    Updated: October 8, 2010
    Published: August 16, 2010

Summary: Harry recalls that a pale little girl called Sally-Anne was sorted into Hufflepuff during his first year, but no one else remembers her. Was there really a Sally-Anne? Harry and Hermione set out to solve the chilling mystery of the lost Hogwarts student.
    Link : FFN

Perhaps one of the most well-written fanfic that talks about the disappearance of Sally-Anne Perks.

Checked by Minion, July 29, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  2. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

3. Anme

Anme Professor

I don't see what you want to say with your post. If a story is recommended in the almost-recommended thread and someone likes it enough to put it in for review, that's perfectly fine.

I think this is worth a 4/5. The writing could be better but I like the story enough to think it library worthy. Last update was pretty good too.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I find it a fairly well written mystery story and not a bad way to spend one's reading time. Early on, in particular, the intrigue was managed well and this made the story. The later chapters, while revealing more plot, seem to be taking things in a direction that isn't all that interesting.

I was hoping for a nefarious plot to go with the spookiness of students disappearing from all memory, but things seem much more innocent, as of the last chapter's revelations.

There was one notable episode of horrid writing when, out of the blue, Harry has an "OMG HERMIONE HAS TITS I WANNA HIT THAT!!!!!" epiphany. It may have since been fixed--I haven't gone back to check--but it was annoying and completely peripheral to the story.

Aside from that, it's a decent story. I don't think it's quite Library-worthy, but it could be if it concludes well. I'll rate 3/5 for now.

5. The Santi

The Santi Professor

I've been following this story from the start, and, while it has an intriguing premise, it has gone downhill since chapter 2.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a decent read, albeit with some annoying parts, but I'm not sure it's library worthy. There is still the chance it could improve, and I'll continue reading the updates, but my enthusiasm for this story has gone down a great deal.

At the moment, it's a quintessential 3/5

6. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I like this story.
    The mystery seemed a lot more ominous and threatening than it now does, but the writing has improved a fair bit.
    Also, Pers, I think she/he did cut the scene with the sudden romance;it was not their when I read it an hour ago.

4/5

7. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Like The-Santi said. It's gone downhill after chapter 2. I read it when it updates to past time but then wonder why I did. Maybe it'd be better if I read it all in one go but right now it's just average.

3/5

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  8. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I enjoyed it to an extent. Nothing really made me NOT enjoy it, so I went ahead and gave it a four, but it's not really good enough to get a five from me.

What has me worried, though, is that the author has revealed in chapter nine just who Sally Anne Perks is. Okay . . . does this mean that we're just waiting on an epilogue? After all, this seemed to have been the crux of the mystery and the author has revealed it. If not, what will the author do from here on out?

9. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I think the focus will probably now shift to more on how/why the whole thing happened, and how it was covered up.

Edit: Liked it personally, though, yeah, not really mind blowing. Not really something I'd re-read again, either. I'd give this a 3.5/5, rounded down.

10. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Updated again.

For me, I had high hopes when the story came around at first, as it was actually a pretty neat concept - girl only Harry remembers disappeared from Hogwarts and everybody else's memories/perceptions... Of course I liked it! But it was a neat concept in my mind and then I kinda overshot my expectations, expecting a dark little fic and some grand conspiracy wrapped in a compelling mystery, while instead it's Harry and Hermione playing Nancy Drew for no particular reason with their super Time Turner - there's the mystery of Sally Anne, but beyond that, it's kinda flat. Injecting the romance or whatever between Harry and Hermione kinda tipped me off that the author didn't have much beyond the mystery idea.

It's not a bad fic, just kinda average. I'm not entirely sure its library material, but I think that may count on where it goes from here (If it wraps up in the next chapter or something, I wouldn't be surprised). But yeah, no library vote for me.

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

It's annoying when someone thinks up a great plot, then does absolutely nothing with it.

12. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

I feel like there's so much more substance than just the mystery itself. The atmosphere is fucking fantastic, and there is some wonderful exploration of the concept of ghosts.

4.5/5

13. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I like this idea and where the author is taking it, personally. It's not quite a detective novel kind of grittiness, but something a bit more spiritual.

Also,
    Does this latest chapter suggest that Sally Anne was Ariana's descendant or something? Something not spiritual then?

14. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I'm thinking...
    Albus Dumbledore played with the Mirror of Erised and accidentally made Ariana alive if only temporarily. After all, if Mirror!Harry could give Real!Harry the Stone...

15. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

Definitely kept me intrigued for the entire time I was reading it, which is the point of a mystery anyway. I'd say library worthy, 4/5. Hopefully the final reveal isn't too disappointing.

16. happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter Sixth Year

I agree.

I've quite enjoyed this. At the beginning the writing style isn't that good but gets better towards the end. The plot is good and doesn't have millions of sub-plots and I quite like the interaction between Snape and Lupin. It also had some nice bits of comedy in it. I liked it, but it wasn't a five...

4/5

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's a neat idea, and largely well written - Paimpoint is getting progressively better at this, although there's still the odd bit of dialogue that grates; she sometimes seems to shoot for a rather portentious, epic tone that simply doesn't fit. Precisely who Sally-Anne is seems to have come rather quickly (seems, at least. There's always room for change), but it's still engaging, with some good concepts. The quick update rate is a plus as well.

That said, I can't really give it more than a 3/5 at present. At completion, I'll reassess, but it's a solid fic with a neat idea, not a great fic.

18. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Nicely written, original, and very intriguing, the only shitty thing is that the last chapter ended with a cliffhanger.
    4/5

19. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Like most people I really love the plot bunny that this story is built on. There's just the little things here and there that prevent me from loving the execution. Some characters and dialogue sequences just seem off. Most recently, it seemed a bit odd to me that the portrait of Ariana was completely lucid; I may be wrong, but I thought it was implied that the portrait in canon had a "vacant" look (i.e. her post-accident state).

None of the little problems would be too bad by themselves, but they keep adding up. I give this story a 3/5.

Sounds like you were hoping for the Silens Cursor version of this story... :awesome

20. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

I really liked it. I don't think I've ever seen this concept before so definite originality points, and the writing is decent. Definitely better than anything I've seen in a while, and I really wanted to see something new for once. 4.5/5 from me.