1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Stranger Trilogy by serpant sorcerer - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Sep 10, 2005.

1. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Eh, actually tickling can be a much worse torture method than pain, it can drive a person insane/catatonic just as easily as Cruciatus can. You only need to keep up the power of the spell for a while. Much more believable than defeating Voldemort by snoging/shaging... :roll:

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Problem is hitting the Dark Lord with such a shitty spell... I'm sure that will go right through his shield, lol.

3. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

True, that's why it's always good to find the balance - high-power lethal or non-lethal spellcraft does not imply the spells to be 'Dark' in nature. There's nothing 'Dark' at all in Varlon666's "air fuel bomb" spell, and it still can level almost any building... What bugs me with a lot of fanfics is that Harry (or anyone, really) learn all those powerfull ultra-super-duper-wowy-zowie spells out of 'Ancient, Forgotten Books of Light/Dark/Grey/Violet Lore' or variations, not taking into account that those spells are either common knowledge, hence there are known defences, or have been in disuse for a reason. A most valid point in that regard was made quite recently in IP82's story, where we see the usefulness of 'Reducto'. I'm all for Light magic, if Dark is really corruptive/addictive or similar, but it will have to be custom developed spells. After all, how difficult would it be to enchant your wand to be resistant to 'Expelliarmus' and 'Accio', after you've known the spells for years or decades in some cases.

*steps off of the soap-box*
    Hope I didn't bore anyone to tears 8)

4. Quack

Quack Second Year

I like Miranda's idea of accioing a brain.... hehehe.... xD

Come on guys, the tickling charm is the 'light' version of crucio. I bet the purebloods would hate it, the all high and mighty bastards giggling and crying... torture I tell you. If I was Harry that's what I would do to death eaters I capture. Torture them with the tickling charm, take pictures, and send it to the daily prophet. *coughMALFOYScough*

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Bah! I hate that idea. Accioing a body part seems stupid to me. Like they would teach that to FOURTH YEARS!!

Reducto I can buy SOMEWHAT more because Harry learned that on his own when he was studying for the Goblet of Fire tournament.

6. Quack

Quack Second Year

I don't like the reducto one. It seems like a favourite for the 'light side' in most fics... blowing up bodies and body parts and stuff... if it did that it should be classified as a unforgivable. xD

I like the accio idea more because it's unique. Her fic is the only one I know of that uses the idea, but many stories use reducto.

7. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Well, Ill use the most popular explanation of the fandom when justifying the use of the dark arts. Don’t they teach the levitation and mobilicorpis charms in first and second year, respectively? You just need to throw them from really high, even though wizards seem to be particularly immune to falling.

Just look at Neville, he only got a broken wrist when he should have gotten his skull cracked open in first year. Could it be magic?

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Maybe he braced himself... how high did he fall from anyway?

9. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

*Shrug* I dunno, and I really dont care. Its magic, and I kind of like it when it stays somewhat unexplained...I just kinda remember reading that they tryed or did throw him from the last floor of the house, or something like that, to see if he had any magic.

And I dont know if its mentioned just hight up he fell on that flying class. Its one of those things, i wager...

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah. His uncle dropped him out a window and he bounced... that sounds really weird.

11. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Yeah it does, heh. Not a bad fic.

12. razz

razz Seventh Year

I read a bit of this ages ago, but stopped because the little sister pissed me off way too much. 'Rosie' -euck- is the biggest, most sickeningly perfect (despite 'nicely' written) Mary-Sue character ever.

Excerpts from chapter two; Enter - Die!Rosie!Die!

VOMIT. I really wish she had never been created.
    :x

13. Piccaboo!

Piccaboo! Second Year

This I can safely say is my favorite fic no doubt about it. It has the best Voldemort. he's clever, devious, ruthless - and his plans are just amazing. The characterisation is great and i do like his oc Chris. There might be a lot of muggle in it though his writing style is damn good he pulls it of nicely and I really think Jono could be a great writer someday. Highly recomended by me :D

14. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

I started to read it but i fell asleep. :twisted:

15. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Great fic, well written, excellent ideas, good accuracy. My main problem is its sheer size. Every chapter is about 40-50k wrds. I seriously hardly have time to read it. The newest chapter is over 100 pages on MS word!

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

That's the way I like 'em. :D

17. Hives

Hives Guest

Nah, the size is totally an offput. How long would it take to read in one go? A week? A year? Unless you've been with it from the beginning, or a few chaps in, the length is totally daunting.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Exactly, it takes a long time to read it. It usually takes me thirty minutes to an hour to read one of his chapters, but that's usually because I'm using AIM and I'm browsing these forums. Jono has long chapters, good grammar, good plot, and good characterization. That's why I like it so much.

19. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

I think the point is that if you had the same length story but say fifty 10k word chapters instead of ten 50k chapters (its not that long i know but meh) it just makes it more manageable - and if you have to stop reading and go do something else (work, eat, sleep, whatever) then you can actually reach the next chapter and bookmark rather than cutting off in the middle of one.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Eh, if it bothers people that much, they can just cut it off where they want to stop, and put it into a seperate document to read. It's not that hard to remember where you stopped.