1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

1) It'll dissuade the independent and moderate voters on the margins. The ones whose fortunes actually matter to them, who have a real stake in this. Which is all that's needed. You're never going to "convince everyone," and you don't have to.

2) That's still a secondary phenomenon. Retaliatory tariffs (dollar-for-dollar) are simply the appropriate political response. It's not all about the American voter. Far more important to show the rest of the world that Trump cannot bully them into submission (which by uniting them all together weakens his leverage in a Chinese trade war immensely).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. Arthellion

Arthellion Death Eater

High Score:
    I agree. I was primarily responding to Revans comments about the tariffs targeting trump supporters.

3. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

I think he was relishing in the pain they're about to feel.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Strictly speaking, it's not targeting Trump voters, but GOP congressmen. There is a difference, and sometimes, perhaps, it's even a notable one, i.e. putting their seat at risk or at least creating the perception of this (which amounts to the same thing). Insofar it's a smart move and going to work (as far as anything we can do can "work"). To that end, there's also this:

We'll see how and if that cognitive dissonance gets resolved.

But that aside, in more general terms, not tariffs:
    The question is, what else would work. Because if it were ever determined that either A) nothing will work, or B) it's not worth the effort because it would mean leaving 50-100 years of progress behind, then the conclusion is that one should drive a maximum collision course, and resolve this issue by simply steamrolling them into submission.

Edit: Fresh from the world's best dealmaker. Also, don't forget that there are more tariffs on allies than on China.

5. fire

fire High Inquisitor

6. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Order Member

Assuming it's just ignorance is a bit generous man, you get one guess who the largest producer of asbestos is in the world today.

7. fire

fire High Inquisitor

Our Russian comrades, of course, but tbf I wouldn't say this is an instance of Trump acting out of his being beholden to Putin - he's been spouting this shit since forever, including in Art of the Deal where he outlines his bizarre conspiracy theory.

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

9. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I disagree on that insofar as business owners are rational actors as it relates to their businesses, and there's no hiding what's going on in the market.

When an apple grower has to lay off half of his workers this season because the Canadians just put a 20% tariff on apples and he still hasn't sold all of his 2017 crop anyway, he knows why he has to take that decision.

When cars increase in price by a few grand overnight because steel and aluminum got more expensive, people know why.

When bourbon makers in Kentucky can't sell their product because it just shot up in price, so distillery workers have their shifts cut, the distillery owner will know who to blame.

I think people understand what hits them in the pocket.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Trump is shilling for Russia at the G-7.

No collusion? Maybe, we'll see.

In bed with Putin? Most def.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    You'd think a smart person would take the current Russia probe situation into account and not do something that fuels precisely the sentiment the person in question doesn't like, but we're talking about the guy who said "no one knew healthcare is so complicated", so...

11. Invictus

Invictus Fourth Champion

Anyway. Trump just hit the same approval levels as Obama in 2010 and Reagan in 1982.

"President Trump’s current approval rating matches the approval rating of former Presidents Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama in June of 1982 and 2010 — just before the two presidents' parties faced massive losses in the midterm elections."
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/391131-poll-trump-job-approval-up-4-points

Apparently that's a yuge jump for him.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yes, well. See the article I linked five posts up. Mr. Adler loses out on a big contract cuz steel goes boom, but "likes having someone in the White House who respects business owners in a way that he doesn’t believe leading Democrats do".

Rational this is not. But it'll be a sliding scale, that much I agree. There'll be other business owners, and other Trump decisions, and every vote counts.

On the same topic; you think he's dumb, but Trump has a plan.
    Reap the profits of not trading. Everything makes sense now.

13. DerHesse

DerHesse High Inquisitor

For everybody, who wants to feel a bit of Schadenfreude at the expense of Trump.

Trump on the receiving end of a rather forceful handshake and I love how Macron has to stifle a big fat grin.

14. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'm just wondering if his circulation is awful.

15. DerHesse

DerHesse High Inquisitor

He's a fat old guy, who likes fast-food, dislikes exercise and has a stressful job.

16. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

But his reliable doctor says he's incredibly healthy. The healthiest president.

17. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Order Member

It's because he doesn't exercise, everyone knows exercising just wastes your limited lifetime supply of energy and makes you die sooner.

18. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

19. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I just love how much John Bolton's expression is 'oh shit oh shit oh shit what the fuck am I doing'.

And that Angela Merkel put this photo on her official Instagram.

20. DerHesse

DerHesse High Inquisitor

This image reminds me so much of that Simpsons scene, just a whole lot more petulant.