1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    U.S flies bombers over North Korea and DPRK's foreign minister says that a nuclear attack on U.S soil is now inevitable.

Saturday night fever.

2. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Meanwhile, Trump is picking fights with popular athletes.

I actually hope he keeps poking people like Curry and James; targeting athletes is just going to piss people off more quickly.

3. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

They are both black, it's not going to hurt with his base.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

White players have responded and will respond in bigger numbers tomorrow. Fuck this guy.

5. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

It's already started, and it's spread beyond football already. First player to take a knee in MLB was white (rookie backup catcher for the Oakland A's, but still, that's making news), and for the NFL not only is this THE story going into Game Day, but more owners and coaches are breaking to support players instead of Trump. Shad Khan went out on the field with the Jaguars, Rex Ryan did an about-face and slammed Trump on ESPN, and I've seen statements from Robert Kraft to the Haslem family to Jim Irsay.

What utterly blows my mind about this is that if the POS-in-chief was intending to pull a big distraction move to deflect from whipping Senators for Graham-Cassidy, I don't see it working. The major players fighting and calling about this are typically outside of the realms of pro sports, and furthermore, with more coaches and owners taking stands with players (which yes, surprised me), you're uniting one of your most reliable financial blocks of donors against you and your party. People may have been complaining that ESPN has gotten too political over the past few years, but they kind of don't have a choice now when the President decided he wanted to take on pro football beyond just Kaepernick and made the asinine statement that owners and the NFL care too much about concussions!

And if this story has legs and goes for a second week, NBA season starts - and while NFL might have more presence in American sports culture, NBA athletes are almost guaranteed to be a lot louder about it. Why in the Nine Hells Trump thought saying anything about sports was a good idea...

6. Spanks

Spanks Minister of Magic

Because the anthem protests by and large have been unpopular with the public. Polls find that 70% disagree with it, 65% think it's unpatriotic. The NFL saw a big dip in ratings last year from a combination of things, but anthem protests were the biggest reason making up
    26% of those who stopped watching. (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...gest-reason-nfl-viewers-stopped-watching/amp/)

Trump has actually done something amazing. He has turned Colin Kaepernick's anthem protests against police brutality in black neighborhoods into a league wide protest against Donald Trump. It's gonna be interesting if the unpopularity numbers hold or if they change because Trump is now involved.

7. Tenages

Tenages Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Not relevant to the second half of your post, but there are a lot of issues with the news coverage of that survey. Yes it said 26% of those who watched less football said it was because of the anthem protests. However only 12% of those surveyed said they watched less football. So only 3% of people surveyed watched less football because of the protests.

Secondly, the survey relied on self-reporting of viewership habits. Self-reporting is a notoriously unreliable way of gathering information. People misremember what they did, why they did it, or just flat out lie.

Thirdly, given that ratings are down broadly across all live sports last year (8% NFL, 6% NBA, 11% for NHL US TV ratings (Canadian ratings were up), MLB ratings down (hard to get a single number for MLB given that it's shown on about 25 different regional networks, but quick google search showed national ratings upticked a little, regional telecasts down sharply.) This trend extends across all other live sports according to most sports business stories. The NFL rating decline is generally right in line with all other live sports, making it unlikely that a factor largely unique to the NFL (anthem protests) was a significant driver of viewership losses when they simply matched the industry wide trend. In fact, given that NFL ratings rebounded from a 14% decrease, to a 1% decrease as soon as the election ended, you could make an equally good

Finally, the JD Power survey you linked does say 12% of people watched less football. And that 26% of those did so because of anthem protests. However 24% of respondents to the survey said they watched more football, not less last year. If 26% of viewers watched more football, and only 12% watched less, you'd expect ratings/viewership totals to go up. However, as those ratings clearly went down last year, the JD Power survey seems to just not match up with reality. And if the survey can't even get whether people watched more or less football correct, I see no reason to trust their conclusions about why people watched less football.

There are a whole bunch of other issues with the way the survey was presented (and several with the survey itself). You can see more critiques of it, as well as the full survey report here: http://www.thebusinessofsports.com/2017/07/28/taking-a-closer-look-at-the-j-d-power-nfl-survey/

tl:dr: That survey is really not good evidence that the decline in ratings had anything meaningful to do with anthem protests, especially when the entire live sports industry is suffering a fairly consistent ratings decline.

Rating Declines in NBA, NHL links
    http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/nba-regular-season-ratings-1202031083/
    http://awfulannouncing.com/nhl/2016-17-nhl-ratings-dropped-u-s-rose-canada.html

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    Ehhh Curry has a lot of clout with evangelicals. He's considered the Tim Tebow of basketball by many.

For what it's worth, millennial evangelicals dislike Trump and it's causing something of a split between older generations and the younger in the Church.

Expect to see the next generation of evangelicals to be a lot less political and more focused on serving the poor, community outreach, etc.

9. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't give much of a shit about football, or about Kaepernick, but I have to say I am one of the people who thinks his protest methods were disrespectful and unpatriotic. But, having said that, I think most of the people who object to it would also agree with me that it's his right to do it and not anyone's right to stop him.

From a purely political standpoint, I don't see the upside to this for Trump. What did he expect would happen? Pro sports is usually something people view outside of politics, and he just gave everyone a platform to give him a Bronx salute. Maybe it was to distract people from Graham-Cassidy failure? Or to take the heat off from people in his base who didn't like him making a deal with Democrats a couple weeks ago? It's hard to tell what logic there was there.

10. Agayek

Agayek The Chosen One

You say that like it wasn't a spur of the moment, totally off the cuff bit of rambling during his morning Twitter perusal. I'd be amazed if he'd put any more thought into it than "Grr, they're disrepecting me the flag!"

11. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    It seems too...concerted an effort on his part to be purely spur of the moment. He went out of his way to perpetuate it.

12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

The Oakland Athetic's catcher, Bruce Maxwell, is also from a hardcore military family and was born in Germany. Gonna be fun watching the "muh flag muh freedoms" crowd struggle with that

13. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

They won't notice, they're too busy masturbating to that ex-army ranger dude on the Steelers being the only one to be out of the locker room for the anthem. MUH TRUE PATRIOT.

If there's anything more American these days than caring more about the symbol of freedom than the actual freedom it represents, I don't know what it is.

14. Invictus

Invictus Prisoner

NFL players and owners will keep voting and donating GOP. They won't rail against it meaningfully. Against Trump? Sure. But not GOP. Dems offers nothing they want.

I doubt it. It's been thirty almost forty years since Reagan did his revolution, but they were always active. They know a lot of their clout and influence is due to their active participation in politics. It's like saying Black Baptist Churches are less political after the 60s-70s. They might not be leading Civil Rights marches, but they sure as hell are political as fuck and gonna keep being so for as long as they can. One does not simply throw their power in the trash bin.

Plus Evangelical churches profit a lot from the Us vs Them and the persecution of Christians myth in the US in a general sense (closing ranks, more donations, more presence, more people willing to follow what they say, etc).

Also. Pffft. Neopentecostals and non-denominationals doing community work. Serving the poor. Ha.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    You have no facts or experience to base your opinion on. Your stance is just a generic vibe of distaste towards Christianity with nothing to back it up.

As a millennial Christian, among millennial Christians, younger pastors and leaders have grown increasingly frustrated with the "Americanized Church" that focuses on political power as opposed to loving others as the Bible commands. The Southern Baptist convention recently voted to condemn the Alt Right. It was a unanimous decision in favor of condemning the Alt right.

Furthermore, more and more people are leaving the Church. This is a good thing imo. It means that only the committed will stay as opposed to those focused on using the Church for their own Agenda.

The Church is moving away from political desires and more on simply loving people.
    It will take a generation or two but it will happen.

16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Owners, yes, players, no. Player base is overwhelmingly black, and the black population votes overwhelmingly democrat particularly the black population from less affluent areas. Just because these players have money now doesn't mean they forgot Rush Limbaugh on TV ranting about 'welfare babies' when they were kids. No one forgets that kind of shit.

17. Invictus

Invictus Prisoner

I'm a practicing Catholic. Also. 87% Evangelical voted Trump just last year. If you can prove with facts that we're seeing a shift to a lack of political playing, besides anedoctal experiences, please provide. Condemning the Alt Right was a political statement itself.

I had players like Brady more in mind. But I concede the point.

18. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Leaving only the fanatics? Not very healthy for an organization. That would tend to make it more regressive and conservative, and therefore trend against the theory you postulated.

Also, I'd point out that the SBC only voted to condemn the 'Alt Right' after there was a huge uproar when they refused to condemn 'White Nationalism.' Not exactly a full-throated condemnation, then.

19. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Now watch them sneak in a 2am vote anyway.

20. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

I think you're imagining the US congress as a lot more motivated than it actually is. Remember, this is an institution made up of people who do not need to answer to voters in any meaningful way. 95% of congresspeople win reelection despite the institution as a whole getting a 16% approval rating. The way they do this is by soliciting donations, and super PACs- not by passing huge amounts of legislation. In practice, their job is more akin to being a telemarketer than actually governing.

Also, we can be thankful that the far right is just as likely to block this bill as the last one. It's still not cartoonishly evil enough for them.