1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Unspeakable

#War, huh, yeah. What is it good for? Likes retweets and follows!

2. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Trump has been doing that with most of his cabinet members since he beginning. Since Kelly took the reins it got way less common, but there was a time that he would say the opposite almost immediately and make everyone look like liars. This time at least he acknowledged what Rex said.

And frankly. Pretty sure he is doing it for everyone to be lost and show himself to be unpredictable, which is something he claimed he wanted to do for a loooong time. Plus, if shit breaks out, be able to point out he "was right from the beginning".

It's not that different, in spirit, from Un claiming to be ready to destroy the US while spending dozens of millions of dollars in lobbying to get access to the White House and people near Trump.

3. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Rush Limbaugh with rare opposition to Trump:

Also, in response to NBC's article that Trump wanted to increase the nuclear arsenal, Trump went... Close to nuclear, one could say.

Even keeping in mind that Mattis disputed the story as well, the Trump response is... Chilling, to me at least.

Oh, and for anyone who remains under the idiotic delusion that Trump gives a single whit about LGBTQ rights after, well... The past nine months... Trump to speak at Value Voters Summit, organised by the Family Research Council.

4. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

Are we forgetting the fact his Secretary of the Interior delisted Stonewall as a National Monument?

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I'd missed that, but that makes double sense in a twisted way. One, it's rescinding Obama-era decisions (which Trump just loves doing) and Two, it's about sending a message to the newly reinstated lesser classes of the US.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    When Rush Limbaugh is speaking in opposition to a Republican President who campaigned on the far right....

Sheesh.

7. Oruma

Oruma Unspeakable

"Hell is reporting a record breaking two feet of snow today, with the cold air from the upper levels threatening to turn it directly into ice. Massive congestion has, no pun intended, frozen all traffic on Good Intentions Way; denizens of the realm are warned to stay away from the Bridge of Lost Souls until traffic clears up. Mayor Lucifer Morningstar is reportedly in negotiations with the host of heaven for assistance; which we will cover after the commercial break..."

8. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Dunno if that's fair. Hannity seems the one that would die and fuck himself over before betraying his darling. Limbaugh is all about picking and discarding people as positions when he thinks they gonna improve/diminish his views.

9. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

RIP Obamacare.

Congratulations GOP on getting a 2020 re-election for Trump or Pence.

10. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

Wait, why does this guarantee their re-election? Doesn't the fact that they went out of their way to sabotage it without a replacement in place make it their fault if the health care system goes down the drain?

11. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

It's called 'OBAMAcare', and what's a little creative blaming ("We tried to fix the failures of Obamacare, but it was not to be") for Fox? In two, two and a half years time, this will be billed as a desperate attempt to control rising costs, that sadly did not work because the legislation itself stifled the market too much.

And everyone will eat it up. Anything is better than having another PoC or woman or even a Democrat as a president after all.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

For once, I think you're actually being unfairly cynical. All evidence points towards people actually coming to realise they like Obamacare -- ever since Trump and McConnell tried to blow it up (the Passenger effect, only need the light when it's burning low and all) -- and blaming failure on the Republicans. (By and large, naturally, there's the 30% Trump-shooting-on-5th-Ave.-can-do-no-wrong crowd, but that's not enough to become president.) And simultaneously, there's been the bi-partisan negotiations, which actually made some progress, and could be bolstered by this move; at least in the form of a hotfix, with congress appropriating the money.

There is a majority to pass such a deal, of course. The question was whether it would see a vote. This might just have made it more likely.

As a side note, after Trump learned he was the president of this thing called Puerto Rico (and interrupting his beautiful NFL rage too, how dare they), the next thing someone will tell him is that he's the president of some "Virgin Islands" as well.

Of course, they will get better treatment, they have virgins, after all.

13. awinarock

awinarock Alchemist

Sure, but how many of those people will go out and vote against Trump, especially if the Dem's fail to field a decent candidate that can manage to go a week without shooting themselves in the foot? How many people who are currently unaffected by Trump's decisions in their day to day lives would be willing to vote against him? How many people are going to do the same thing as always and vote along party lines regardless of the quality of the candidate? These add up and while I'm usually optimistic, I have to go with Oment on this one. Trump is going to use this as ammo and and a shield against his opponents, and I think it'll be pretty effective too.

14. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

I'm sick and have a pounding headache so I'm not gonna try to find them, but I know I've seen that most polls have the Republicans as the ones responsible for healthcare at this point.

I agree on the decent candidate thing though. I haven't seen anyone that really stands out.

15. awinarock

awinarock Alchemist

That's the issue. At this point, most people hold the Republicans responsible for our current healthcare issues, but whether that'll be the case come election time is another matter entirely. Come campaign time, Americans are gonna be bombarded with propaganda from both sides and who's responsible for what is going to become less clear. Couple that with outrage fatigue and short term political memory and you have a perfect recipe for the Republicans to do a good job of throwing convincing Americans that the Democrats are mostly, if not completely to blame for our current healthcare issues.

16. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They know who's in charge. If they get fucked with their pants on, they'll know who to blame.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's always the person in charge who gets blamed. Regardless of actual cause and effect. That's just how it works, and, I would say, rightly so -- when your job description is to make it work, even the most sensible reason for why it can't is invalid. That's what you signed up for.

18. awinarock

awinarock Alchemist

Almost always. Trump and the Republican party have turned blame shifting into art form, and it might just be me, but if the last election proved anything, it's that things that always were and always are supposed to be this or that don't always stay that way.

Edit:
    I wanna believe that Revan, but people are willing to give second and third chances to those who they think will do right by them eventually, especially if the other guy/gal is someone they hate with a passion for one reason or another.

Edit 2: Not that second or third chances are a bad thing, but I'm of the opinion that Trump doesn't deserve them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 12:01 AM
  19. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I'm (obviously) with the gaslighting comment awinarock made above me. Moreover:
    • The Dems have no real defining ideology at this point (a trait they share with most left-of-centre parties, admittedly) except 'everything left of normal GOP'. While this is theoretically good, this means it is very easy for a 2016 repeat when the leftists are turned off and centrists don't show up because gosh darn it they should win. It works for the GOP because their voters fall in line, but Dems are more fickle.
    • The nationalist tide is rising, and that favours the GOP.
    • Regional support is limited, and with liberal voters increasingly flocking to urban areas, this comparatively decreases their voting power.
    • The bench is limited, and there is nobody really standing out who wouldn't be unacceptable to a far too large part of the US electorate (female, PoC with just a smidge less charisma than Obama at his absolute best.)
    • Incumbency advantage.
    I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't see it happening. Call it 'unfairly cynical' if you like, but if there is one thing humanity is really good at, it is working against their own best interests and reasoning themselves out of what is needed. We'll all be feeling the results of that in a few decades.

20. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a reason the party in the White House usually gets its ass kicked during the first midterm. People know who's in power, and they punish them for it. I guess we'll just have to see if this time around is any different. Gerrymandering will make it difficult, of course, so there's that. A good barometer of how things are going will be the gubernatorial races in New Jersey and Virginia, and fortunately, they're happening in only three weeks, so we don't have long to wait.

I'd say we have a pretty defined ideology. Better healthcare for people, environmental protection, robust international diplomacy wherever possible, not giving away money to the rich, and most importantly, competence in government.

People think we have no ideology. Well, you just got out of nearly a decade of our ideology, so people think, oh, this is normal, this isn't a governing mantra. No, it's just that everyone got used to it. Now Trump is systematically injecting shittier healthcare for everyone, environmental destruction, the world's worst diplomacy in living memory, tax cuts for himself and his cronies, and, most crucially, total and utter incompetence. Now people will see what it's like when the GOP is really in control. Hint: It's a disaster.

Where I do think you're right, though, is that we don't have clear messengers or standard bearers. We need to work on that.

But when a person brings in the mail and opens a bill to find their medical bills went from $250/mo to $3600/mo, or when they get sick because polluters outside of town are getting a free pass again, or when they get a visit at the door to tell them their son is dead because we're at war with North Korea, they'll know who's in charge and whose fault it is.