1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

2. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not my job.

I'm ambivalent about pot as a policy, these days. Personally, I find it a revolting nuisance that stinks up apartment buildings. Professionally, it's against the law, so...

But honestly, it's a waste of time. Sessions can tell prosecutors to clamp down on it, but everyone's got better things to do with their time.

If you want to know what I think might come of this, though, I'd say to watch the money. The entire industry is subject to civil forfeiture, and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw media reports of DEA going out and taking all the cash.

3. pbluekan

pbluekan Professor DLP Supporter

Son of a fucking bitch. I mean it’s legal in DC for Christ’s sake.

I don’t smoke much, and the smell ain’t the best in the world, but I have similar practices and objections for alcohol. It just isn’t worth the time and money spent on enforcing it and more importantly, holding the inmates that are prosecuted on pot charges.

The benefits to the state from both decreasing law enforcement costs and increased tax revenues pretty much override any other drawback. In 2016, Colorado drew in $200 million in revenue from pot sales, and as of May 2017, tax revenues since 2014 were over half a billion. Colorado broke ~$1 billion in pot sales last year, and IIRC, 2017 tax revenue is expected to be in the $210 million range.

Four years ago, none of that revenue was being collected, and the sales were still mostly there. Now that money, from a drug that is as otherwise harmless as booze goes back into law enforcement and education.

4. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Unless the recordings are made public, at least. And to be entirely fair, there's enough corroborating anecdotes to give this a bit of credence. Kasich's story about being offered a lot of power for a VP, some of VP Pence's statements about emulating Cheney, and Trump's golf-to-work ratio all come to mind.

Still, it seems kind of short-sighted, at least in terms raw capital available for taxation. I'm guessing we'll see some squabbling between states and the feds about the whole mess though. Colorado isn't going to want to give up the income. Long term, I'm more worried about the damage it'll do to the medical cannabis infrastructure than recreational use.

5. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

So, I read the damn book and made a tweetstorm about it. Suffice to say like most political journalism in this vein, it probably contains less truth than we want, but more than everyone (especially Trump) want us to believe.

It's also very obvious that Bannon kept trying to put his finger on the scale with this, and while Wolffe was savvy enough to show Bannon's utter lack of self-awareness and delusions of grandeur, he did give Bannon more of a platform than he probably should have, and it gets blatant at points (also, the fact that nothing about Cambridge Analytica got brought up with relation to the Russia investigation is extremely telling, especially as it seems like Bannon's going 'scorched earth' with his quotes in the final quarter of the book).

And since Trump can't stop seeming to confirm every stupid thing about him in this book, he's trying to slam it and everyone else from Twitter with GOP backing - and yet since the Streisand effect is now active, this'll do huge numbers.

As a book... meh, overheated, gossipy, slapdash, and ends poorly. 6/10

PS: if anything is pronounced in this book, it's the daddy issues. MY GOD THE DADDY ISSUES.

6. Invictus

Invictus Fourth Champion

Whose Daddy Issues? Trump's? Bannons? Kushner? Everyone's? The US daddy issues?

7. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

Hahaha. "The president just threatened a nuclear strike while live-tweeting a Fox News segment."

We've been looking everywhere at patterns that don't exist, eh? And what a fucking irony that media reports on Trump live-tweeting media.

I'd ask who among you've been betting on Trump tweeting markets and never bothered to tell the rest of us, but that'd require you to've been following Fox cable news regularly.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. pbluekan

pbluekan Professor DLP Supporter

It’s easier and probably safer to bet on crypto. It’s less volatile than Trump.

You’ll also keep your sanity by avoiding FOX news.

9. Sataniel

Sataniel Seventh Year

High Score:
  10. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

It went viral across Chinese social media too, within hours of release. People were sharing flagrantly via WeChat.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  11. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    It's an interesting read, although, as has been said, it isn't anything that was particularly surprising.

Just about the only thing I learned from it was that the author really likes the word "indefatigability".

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

13. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

Does that invalidate every document Wikileaks has released?

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Not really sure what that question has to do with discussion of a Trump-WL relationship, but I salute your willingness to trek off track to ask it.

15. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Are you asking "Does that mean that every document WL has ever released is fake?"

Not necessarily. Does it mean that some of the documents WL has ever released is fake? It's possible.

The more important question to ask is "Knowing that WL is a known puppet of the Kremlin, what does WL's release of any given document mean to achieve?"

At least if you know that you're being manipulated, you're forewarned and forearmed.

16. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

It's actually a question I've been pondering, and it's at least tangentially related to the Trump-WL relationship, considering the Trump/Russia money laundering accusations Wolfe is referencing. Wikileaks has released the text of Wolfe's book, which is so far a bit boring, to be honest. It's just encapsulating stuff I think most people have parsed by now- Trump is a man-child, Bannon's an oily motherfucker, and no-one really expected either to have the reigns of power.

But more importantly it's really a question as to how much of a footprint Russia actually has in defining how US citizens frame their politics. That's something I'd consider relevant to any discussion of Trump.

Assuming of course that it's not actually gaslighting designed to discredit a political enemy based on fabricated evidence. They've got the means and motive, and they've trumped up charges on Assange before.
    :mid4

Seriously though, Putin is pretty much our strongest competitor, so it makes sense that anyone politically or ideologically against the USA's foreign/domestic policy is connected somehow to Russia. It's one of the few places they can turn to for protection. The cost for that protection is usually some form of influence. From an informational standpoint, I don't think anyone has found significant inaccuracies in WL's documents. Their journalistic integrity is pretty solid there. The problem is recently the timing has become more targeted to support Assange's political agenda as the years have gone on. How much of that's nature and how much is that he's reacting to the US government response... I'm still chasing my tail on.

17. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Could you define your actors? Gaslighting on whose part?

18. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

If that hadn't been a joke, the answer would have boiled down to the CIA. I'd hoped the alien abduction would make my tinfoil hat clear. We need more expressive emotes.

19. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    I thought that's probably who you meant, but I wasn't entirely sure.

That's thick tin foil you have there.

20. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

Apparently it's even spaceworthy.