1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium of Mankind

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fire, Jan 20, 2017.

?

New Thread Title?

1. Trumperium 2: We Shall Overcomb

18.5%
  2. Trumperium 2: Remember, no Russian

13.8%
  3. Trumperium 2: Executive Dis Order

12.3%
  4. Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

36.9%
  5. Trumperium 2: From Russia with Love

18.5%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I'm about as far from pro-Republican as it gets and even I think it's a leap too far to equate the actions of a mass shooter to a direct consequence of Republican policy.

2. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the contrary, the individual in question evidently posted messages to his social media saying, in effect, 'Republicans are ruining the country' and 'Someone needs to do something about Trump', etc. He also took the trouble to confirm with the people present at the ball field whether the people playing were Republicans or Democrats.

Those two things indicate motive and targeting.

So in this instance, even if this case is suigeneris, it does not take a great leap of logic to conclude that he acted the way he did as a direct result of Republican policy.

3. Invictus

Invictus Heir

First, congrats on an amazing discovery. Second, your entire line of reasoning was 'well, GOP was doing things that sooner or later would lead to people shoot them', which is kinda funny, because seems to imply that GOP are either commiting a crime/bunch of crimes or that they're doing some kind of unbelievable shit move never seen before, and not, ya know, returning to the status quo of a decade ago. Oh the 2000s, and their daily Congress mass shootings. Wicked times.

But sure. Let's run with your argument. The shooter, how was he personally affected by Congress and Trump. Or a Healthcare bill that wasn't even approved. I'm curious at what evidence you have for that.

Yes. Because irrational grudges over perceived slights or paranoia never happen.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    I never said it was a rational reaction on his part, just that his actions are easily explained by the evidence at hand. Irrational people act rationally within their irrational state of mind.

I don't see why you're being so combative...

5. awinarock

awinarock Alchemist

I agree, but in this case he's right. These kinds of people tend to feel marginalized and align themselves against whatever group is in power in order to feel special. If the Dems had control of the government and Hillary was president, he probably would have targeted Democratic politicians for not doing enough.

As for people who are gonna be negatively impacted by the actions of a Republican government, unless a bill had direct effect on an individual and led to the death of a loved one, and even then, I can't see a sane person deciding to gun down politicians. It's more likely that budget cuts to social service programs and a useless health care bill will lead to more broke and desperate people willing to commit petty crimes to get by.

6. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Because way I read it, you were agreeing with Lindsey on victim blaming, which is not something fond of, and follows the same logic as those conservatives that are pinning the blame on Dems rhetoric regarding Trump for it.

7. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Fine, but it's possible to simultaneously understand why something happened and also not blame anyone except the perp.

8. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

9. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

More fun news!

Edit: Ninja'd D:

Link

10. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

A viewpoint not exactly popular on either side of the aisle these days, though criticism of understanding is hardly new. (On a - for me - local level, I've seen flaming w.r.t this as far back as 2010 and a discussion why certain neighbourhoods were shit.) I've never quite understood the dislike of trying to understand the why - while it does run the risk of getting stuck going down paths that don't really lead anywhere, the idea behind it is that of identifying cause and effect and then maybe tackling the problem at its root.

You know, teach someone to fish etc, only w.r.t. solving criminality.

In international politics, the Senate has codified Russia sanctions first brought in by Obama's executive orders, plus some extras, in a 97-2 (Lee, Paul voted aganist, van Hollen abstained for whatever reason) vote. I'm assuming Trump isn't happy, but eh.

11. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Except that my problem was explicitly trying to ascribe logical reasoning and justification for obviously illogical actions and trying to give propos for a line of thought that will lead to victim blaming without any moving towards a solution.

Should conservatives stop trying to defend what they believe? Should they refuse to do what they were elected for? Should the GOP become liberal because maniacs with guns might shoot them? That's not how democracy works.

They weren't doing anything illegal or outside what is expected from a normal, vibrant democracy with differing povs.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Not open for further replies.