1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate FanFiction: anti- Pet Peeves.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zevrillion, May 4, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

The Ultimate FanFiction: anti- Pet Peeves.

Now everyone has probably read mordecie365 thread pet peeves and we all know what a story shouldn’t contain.

Here is the thread to discuss what the ultimate FanFiction should contain. What makes a story good and why?

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I think that the ultimate FanFiction consists of:

(1) A good (and feasible) plot
    (2) Good grammar a must
    (3) Most, if not all, characters IC (in character)
    (4) Not always a "happy" story
    (5) Harry is not super hot, super powerful, and super arrogant
    (6) Harry will act his age, and not have the verbal and communication skills of Dumbledore
    (7) No unrealistic pairings, ie student/teacher (Hermione/Snape) relationships, slash between characters that utterly loath each other (Harry/Snape, Harry/Draco)

3. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

1. Also, Ron, Hermione, Mrs. Weasley and the like should die in a horrible way as we have already discussed. :twisted:
    2. Sticking to Canon stuff.
    3. At least normal intelligent and not substandard Harry. Can't tolerate Hermy going on about how he should act and what and what not.
    4. No sudden "I was always in love with you and didn't realise". Its just... Bah!
    5. No Outstanding in Potions. I can see Harry "Out-Standing" potions, but not in potions.
    6. Trelawney should die [less horribly will do].
    7. Gred and Forge shouldn't die. They are like lifesavers ppl.
    8. Harry should show Snape his place.
    9. Get the facts right. Get Mastercard, err... a BETA reader.
    10. Absolutely no Crybaby! Harry. Its... BAH! BAH!

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I pretty much agree with all thats said...just addinging Fudge Umbridge and Percy to the horrible violent death list!

5. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Oh my! *hits head on the stone wall* How in the billions of blistering blue barnacles did I forget them?? Yes, a horrible violent death indeed should be given.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

As much as I like the Dumbledore manipulation stories, I have to be honest and say I doubt that is what happened.

If there is to be a drastic change (such as the Harry in my story) there needs to be a feasable explanation.

Pranks. A few (funny) pranks throughout a fic bring some much needed humor to a story.

Canon. Nobody wants to read how Harry was born to Goku or some stuff. Canonish AU I enjoy though...sorted to Slytherin, raised by Voldemort, etc.

Written well. I honestly don't see Harry using "y" and "btw" in his speech. It needs to be written well, not too many typos and spelling errors, as well as using a broad vocabulary.

Engaging. It needs to draw you in. A good example is Traitors Within by our very own Midknight. I can't wait for the next chapter.

Just a few for the list.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Aw *blush* that means alot to me considering how much i like your stories, =)

My Dumbles is manipulative, but in a good way. Not the light Voldemort others make him to be.

8. Midknight

I want to see more well written Harry/Vampire stories, female Blaises, and Heir of Grindelwald.

I've seen a maybe 1 or 2 Grindelwald heirs that are good, maybe 2 or 3 that suck. Would like to explore this further. There might just be a canon reason why Harry is last of the Potters.

9. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

Hmmm my favourite fics are where there is something new! I also like Fics where the actions and surroundings are well described (but not too much or else it gets boring). Of course some horrible deaths are allways good :twisted: .

btw. : MIDKNIGHT YOU DAMN BASTARD UPDATE!!!!

10. Midknight

another 3-4 days minimum. I'm trying to have time to do stuff when I get home at night, and editing a bit here and there.

I'll probably look for a beta shortly, maybe if I find one this time it'll be one I can trust not to go running off again with ideas, lol.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I can not believe you people... what the hell is going on? Did you leave your brains behind when you logged on!? This is... this is... I cant even find the words to discribe now wrong this is.

The number one thing that can make a fanfiction great is...

KITCHENWARE

Or did you people forget!@#~

Hehehe... dont mind me. :lol:

12. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

hmm... yesh... i concur with dakr syaoran-san.. .. kitchenware related deaths DO improve the quality of fics..

if theyre humor mainly.. but i could see a few occasions were someone might not have time to find a proper weapon and manages to kill someone with a fork.. or butterknife.. or spork... or tea cup even ^_^..

kitchenware deaths are good too

13. Midknight

Oh how happy I am to hear someone say that. /emote Looks at Malfoy... *points, laughs*

I can honestly say I cried tears of laughter writing about the fork Voldemort stabbed Vernon while he was eating spaghetti.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Did Voldie want to taste Vernon's noodle.... *turns green*

15. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Okay, thats just wrong...I know that turned me green.

16. Midknight

Rofl yeah as perverted as I am the noodle bit didn't occur to me, thank god.

Revised chapter is up at FF, i'm up to what was chapter 11, now is chapter 5. Changed alot of subtle things, some dialogue, cut alot of it down.

Not open for further replies.