1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Wandering Inn by Pirateaba - M - Original Fantasy

Discussion in 'Other Review Board' started by Glimmervoid, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Seventh Year

Title: The Wandering Inn
    Author: Pirateaba
    Rating: M (no official rating, so I'm basing this on the violence and coarse language. Mostly it is T but I think some of the later chapters push it into M)
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Fandom: Original Fiction
    Published: July 27, 2016
    Pairings: None
    Link: Here, First Chapter
    Summary: An inn is a place to rest, a place to talk and share stories, or a place to find adventures, a starting ground for quests and legends.

In this world, at least. To Erin Solstice, an inn seems like a medieval relic from the past. But here she is, running from Goblins and trying to survive in a world full of monsters and magic. She’d be more excited about all of this if everything wasn’t trying to kill her.

But an inn is what she found, and so that’s what she becomes. An innkeeper who serves drinks to heroes and monsters–

Actually, mostly monsters. But it’s a living, right?

This is the story of the Wandering Inn.

Updates every Tuesday and Saturday.

~#~

Who's heard of a litrpg? A litrpg is a genre were people from Earth end up in a world that runs on RPG rules. This can be VR or, as is the case with The Wandering Inn, it can be another world. Often it is an excuse to give the main character super magic/martial powers with no effort. Not so in this story.

In The Wandering Inn, Erin Solstice, a girl from our world, ends up in a stock fantasy land in which classes, levels and skills are a real thing. Unfortunately a fantasy world isn't a safe place for a modern girl and she almost dies several times. Through chance she stumbles upon an abandoned inn, in which she takes shelter one night. As a result she gains the [Innkeeper] class and ends up opening an inn.

The story chronicles her trials attempting to run an inn in a world full of monsters (many of who are also her customers). She's also something of a chess prodigy and, while not world class in our world, in a fantasy world where chess is new and without modern chess theory she is among the best in the world.

And it is really great. The first few chapters are mostly Erin running from things and surviving in her abandoned inn. It's well enough written in its own right, but once she gets off the ground, the story comes into its own.

The world becomes deeper and more developed, with non humans like drakes, gnolls and insect people taking center stage. We find out about plots, plans and history and learn how Erin is helping and hindering them just by being herself. Who thought teaching a goblin or an insect worker chess could change the world? Not Erin but it very well might.

As the story pulls back from daily survival, we also get more characters. Perhaps the most important is Ryoka Griffin, another girl from our world, who has become a Runner. A Runner is a kind of delivery person who carries messages and items between cities. She's incredibly well realized and an utter bitch to just about everyone she meets. But she's written well enough that you don't end up hating her.

Grammar and spelling is top notch as far as I noticed. Updates have been long and regular and the web serial has been going since July 27, 2016, so there's a lot to read.

A cool non-standard premise, a deepening world, interesting characters and the occasional really good fight scene means I really can't recommend this story enough.

5/5

2. oakgem217

oakgem217 First Year

I read this before. I eventually stopped, however, because I just lost interest. I simply got bored with the plot as it was. However, Up until that point, this was a fantastic story, with no grammatical errors that I can remember. 4/5

3. cucio

cucio First Year

High Score:
    I've been following this serial on and off ("on" meaning when I haven't anything better at hand for some light reading before going to sleep) since the author published an interesting Erfworld fanfiction,The Last Turn. The Wandering Inn is, okayish, I guess, but I don't understand its popularity in topwebfiction.com.

You have, of course, the usual what-if interesting ideas that stem from Connecticut-Yankee-type plots, but these days the trope is a bit overdone. Also on the plus side, strong, flawed, non-2D female characters abound.

However, Pirateaba is still cutting her teeth as a writer, and the "Wandering" in the title does the story justice: it contains a lot of meandering, an unhealthy amount of self-inserts (which, after all, are to be expected in this particular "Jane Doe from Arkansas goes to Dragonland" situation) and a good number of cringe-worthy moments. As an unedited work, almost every instalment contains typos (to the point that the author always opens a thread in the comment section for readers to report them), naming mistakes (lots of characters to keep track of) and continuity errors (lots of side plots to keep track of). There doesn't seem to be any semblance of an overarching plot, it reads mostly as sandbox playing.

Can't really recommend it, unless you enjoy the genre to the point that you can overlook the story's many flaws. I'll go with 2/5, but I am convinced the author has the skill and imagination to do much better if she takes time to actually plan and develop a story. I liked The Last Turn better.

4. Silly

Silly First Year

High Score:
    I started reading this a little bit ago. I'm halfway through the posted chapters and it's been pretty great so far.

The story does have its flaws, as some other reviewers have already pointed out, but the amount of worldbuilding work that has been put into it is pretty incredible. The plot feels like it is moving at an incredibly slow pace, but so far I'm reading each chapter eager to just learn more about how this strange RPG world works. I find that most of the recurring characters are reasonably interesting as well, which really helps drive the story along.

I'd give this story a 4.5/5, rounded down. I have similar feelings about this story as I do about Worm. It's not perfect and parts of it definitely remind you that you're not reading a professional work, but it's incredibly long and pretty engaging, and I think the upsides of the story heavily outweigh the downsides.