1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Waves Arisen by Wertifloke - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Xarlor, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem I had with it was that science has no place in a story. It's boring to read about and doesn't progress the plot. You could easily sum up all of Naruto's experiments in a single line without losing anything worthwhile.

2. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

This fic is just so bad it's not even funny. Ignoring the fact that Naruto literally has nothing in common with canon, there's so much stupid shit like the fact that Sasuke and Naruto are totally cool with Sasuke injecting himself with some weird shit because it might probably maybe give him a powerup that wasn't in any way explained how it worked or anything like that. Which is hilariously considering the rationality boner that Naruto/the author has in that he'll go and study all this random shit and do all kinds of investigations into things, but this one thing he decides to take at face value. He doesn't even say "Hey, why not take this shit back to Konoha and figure out how this works so we can make our own, like ninja's that aren't retarded."

Then there's the fact that all of a sudden Shadow Clones are now somehow more fragile than in canon (because reasons) and now apparently there's no longer an original Naruto, they all just turn into Shadow Clones (because reasons)

3. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I agree there would realistically already be a system of measuring chakra, but Kishimoto didn't ever mention it, so...

Anyway, the reason no one else has been exploiting the system the way Naruto does is that no one else has enough chakra to do so. Or if they do (other jinchuuriki, Kisame, etc.), then they probably don't know Kage Bunshin. And even if they did know Kage Bunshin, they'd need to have a similar personality to Naruto, but they probably don't. So it could well be that he is the first to figure all this out, since he is the first with the tools and the inclination.

A real world correlation would be the flowering of science and knowledge from the Renaissance onward. For centuries before that, people lived in ignorance even though the truth was all around them to observe. They simply lacked the inclination to do so, due to reasons.

4. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

Didn't mind the science at all, if you can call it that. A well done Sasuke which impressed me. The story is fun and imaginative. Fights are cool. Pretty much everything you want if you actually read Naruto fanfic.

PS -- HPMOR hate on here is hilarious as always.

5. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

Yes, but the natural and reasonable assumption is that if it is in fact possible to measure such things, that it would've already been measured. Either chakra can't be measured (and thus Naruto doing so is just him being a special snowflake) or it can and Kishimoto just didn't mention it. If it's realistic that such a system exists (which it is), then the author should assume it does and provide some sort of explanation, not use it as an area where he can shove his rationalist erection into the world and show how much smarter the protagonist is than the rest of the world. The way he has it right now simply reeks of Sue.

The biggest problem with most rationalist fics (and one I see immediately in this one) is the complete disregarding of possible Watsonian interpretations or reasoning when things don't seem completely logical. They use these as ways to "improve" upon the plot or make a more "logical" decision, while logic actually dictates that its likely there's some in-universe explanation or reasoning that we aren't aware of.

EDIT: Competent but rather dry writing, good fight scenes, solid starting idea with poor execution, a terrible sense of how to write character deaths and plot as a whole, and a main character that makes the fic plain unreadable to me. 2/5

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I'm still reading, but this is the one fic that actually made me believe the Sandaime's 'professor' title.

7. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So apparently DLP ate at least half my post about why the fic is bad, but from what I remember it was me finding the whole "Hey Naruto want a free eye because reasons" thing from Hinata just made the fic impossible to continue with. It was just so stupid and pointless that the fact that everybody was totally okay with this idea, including Kakashi that I just couldn't read anymore of the wanking.

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Yeah, not my thing.

"Rationalist" MoR knock-off stories give me the heebie-jeebies, like reading moral screeds put out by Fundie Christians, Scientologists, or Ayn Rand devotees. More often than not, the things are parables to bludgeon the reader, not stories told with subtlety or perspective.

I didn't read enough to rate.

9. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I couldn't make it though the first few chapters tbh. I've probably read and liked every kind of Naruto characterisation, from him being a well intentioned retard to genius prodigy but this just didn't do it for me.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not rating, but just reading the people in this thread defending the scientific method, rationalism and their place in any story was enough to make me want to headbutt a brick wall.

Actually, to be honest, I couldn't even read each apologists posts all the way through without getting bored.

Definitely not for me.

11. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I stayed up till 1:30 last night because I couldn't stop reading it. But at the same time, I recognize its flaws. 4/5 from me.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well this is interesting. 3.5/5, rounded up to 4/5.

I think the biggest issue this story has is balance. It's hard to explain, despite how straightforward it seems. But sometimes I feel like I'm meant to accept a desire to not kill things (it's suggested during the exams, Naruto wants to change the world for the better, etc) but on the other hand there is just so much killing that no one seems to mind in the least that I'm left a little flat-flooted.

Then there's the characterizations. I feel like there were a few deaths of canon characters that I only have even a quarter of a shit about because I recognized the names from canon. If I wasn't filling in the blanks from canon the deaths wouldn't matter to me as a reader at all, and it feels a little sloppy.

Plus the fact that stuff is really different from canon once the story starts, but a lot of the backstory seems to have happened more or less the same.
    Kakashi and Gai managed to live as long as they did and become Jonin, with most of their canon personalities and whatnot in tact. But then next thing we know they try to assassinate the 5th Hokage (Danzo) apparently, get captured, and die from eating some poisoned soup in prison? I know that the point was to emphasize to the reader how easy people can die, which also ties into some of the faster fights, but it just feels weird/flat sometimes b/c of how little time was spent on those characters.
    On the other hand the writing is technically sound and there's some great original type stuff in here. Sasuke's attitude is refreshing and something I haven't seen before, where he wants to kill Itachi and avenge his clan but isn't particularly upset about any of it, stating that the Uchiha were assholes anyway. The Kyuubi appears to be handled radically differently, and Naruto's use of Shadow Clones, while over-explained in some cases, is actually quite interesting. I like how Naruto's advantages with that jutsu over others using it isn't just that he has more chakra. But he regenerates it quickly, etc.

So yeah. This is worth a read. If you don't like the first two chapters you probably won't like the rest, but it's fairly fast. But the main reason I'd recommend it is that parts of it feel unique and original, even with all the flaws.

13. frantic

frantic Boosted

Ninjas are basically magic.

Rationalizing magic is retarded. LessWrong, levels of retarded.

2/5, I couldn't make it past fucking GAME THEORY.

14. Ched

Wasn't that in like... Chapter 1? Maybe Chapter 2? QQ MOAR! :p

Also... Slug Sage? Fucking hilarious. I actually laughed out loud at that part. More than once.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't read this fic. I'm not going to. But...

...Gai (and Kakashi, I guess) decide to assassinate someone and that person survives? Reality warping roundhouse kick disagrees.

16. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Since you don't intend to read it, I guess it doesn't matter, but it's more likely they never intended to assassinate anyone, and were simply framed.

17. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The latest couple chapters of this really ruined it for me. I was enjoying it at least somewhat until the most recent revelations.

2.5/5, rounded down for voting because of the sheer stupidity of the current ongoing arc.

18. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Story ended now. I'll stick with my previous judgment.

My biggest criticism remains that the story feels rushed at many points. I agree with CheddarTrek that it relies very heavily on previous knowledge of the characters for effect. We know those named characters from our canon and fanon knowledge, so their deaths have a certain amount of weight. If someone came into the story without that background, they wouldn't care about most of them.

The deadpan humor and originality rescue the story from mediocrity. If we ever codified a 'Naruto Law', this story would violate a bunch of them, but I'm fine with that in this instance. I think it mostly pulls it off, but your mileage may vary. (I think the cheap shots at canon should have been left out.)

Lots of cool ideas here.
    All Hail The Dread Lord Panasoniku!

19. Ched

I think I'm missing something with the whole Dread Lord thing. I don't recognize the name, but apparently it means something and isn't just random letters, yeah? Anyone care to explain it in spoilers, Ayreon maybe?

Also this is probably the best example I've seen yet of writing the information sharing aspect with Naruto's Shadow Clones. At least that I can remember. I think it was Chapter 20 that had the fight where this was really showcased.

Now that the story is complete I stand by my rating of 3.5/5 rounded up to 4/5. It's not one of the best out there, but it is a fast paced story with original ideas. Ignoring any problems it has wasn't an issue while I was invested in getting more story, though it does mean that it doesn't have much re-read value b/c there are parts that would drag a lot more after having read them once.

20. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    CheddarTrek:

Panasoniku was a play on Panasonic - there was a broken TV in the Hyuuga compound, or something, and people "praying" to it.