1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Way of Kings

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by disposablehead, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ah, this makes sense. Thanks! I can also see what you mean. Sometimes I feel like too much elegance can be irritating, but if it's done right then it is fantastic.

As far as his stories go, I was fairly impressed with the writing in The Emperor's Soul. Moreso than the other works of his I've read.

Definitely noticed this in Mistborn.

I also recall discussing Alloy of Law with you at one point, and IIRC you made a good point there as well. About how ... well, I can't remember what you said, but that book in particular was standard. It didn't do anything particularly interesting or special compared to dozens of other books.

[EDIT] Thanks!

2. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

My review (and our discussion) is here. Alloy of Law was really weak, IMO - almost as bad as Elantris.

3. melior

melior Seventh Year

I think a lot of writers, fanfiction and otherwise, like to start off each chapter with some flowery prose but don't keep it up. That just makes it read forced and unnatural. It's purely opinion, of course, but I mostly prefer Sanderson's writing, which largely just gets the hell out of your way and lets you plow straight through it.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't think "flowery prose" is what Inverarity meant by elegant prose. Sanderson, whatever his faults, operates on a pro-level.

Most people who do what you say (open with flowery prose and whatnot) aren't at his level.

The example I generally hear cited as good/elegant prose in a Fantasy novel is Name of the Wind. I need to re-read that and pay more attention, see if I agree, etc.

5. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's more a matter of voice, I think, than anything to do with elegance or flowery. The voice varies from book to book of the same author, but it's always there. You can't take the voice away from Dresden Files, from Discworld novels, from Moby Dick, from Shakespeare. You can make an adaptation to another medium, but the story loses something without the voice.

This is especially evident if you're bilingual. Most of the authors I like write in English and since I speak it, I'll take English. But when the books only arrive here in Spanish, I sometimes bite the bullet and take them. It's readable. Later, when I get a copy in English, I read it again and it's just so much better when you have the right words.

Sanderson doesn't do this very well (yet). To be fair, it's hard to do well. Butcher might have it down pat for Dresden Files because the voice is his voice on superpowers, but he isn't nearly as good in his other works like Codex Alera.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1186/State-of-the-Sanderson

Some updates on what he's been doing. He said he has the editor's notes now, and him and his assistant are doing a "tight copyedit" of the entire manuscript. The publisher is still saying a January release date, but to be honest, Brandon doesn't seem super confident that they'll meet it. It's at 360K words, close to what A Memory of Light was. Regarding future Stormlight books, Brandon said he was dissatisfied with the 3+ year wait between Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, and that he wants 18-24 month gaps at most.

Other, non-Stormlight Archive news:

Rithmatist sequel: Never read the first one, did anyone here? Is it good? I know it's one of his YA series, set outside the Cosmere.

Elantris sequel: Can't wait to see how his maturation of an author goes in that universe (not counting The Emperor's Soul, though it is technically on Sel, the Elantris planet). I enjoyed Elantris, but you could REALLY tell that it was his first novel.

Still working on getting funding for a Mistborn film.

Shadows of Self: Next Wax and Wayne mistborn novel. Hopefully it's not a beyond meh novella like The Alloy of Law. I'm not sure if the Wax and Wayne "Mistborn Adventures" series is the steampunk trilogy he said was going to be set on Scadrial, and that afterwards is the Sci-fi trilogy portion, but I'd like to think not.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I enjoyed the Alloy of Law for what it was; a western mystery in the Mistborn world. It was never meant to be on the scale of Mistborn, but it was fun and light hearted and didn't take itself too seriously. A neat little addition to the Cosmere, more a side-story than anything of real impact.

8. DeathShade

DeathShade Fourth Year

I liked the Rithmatist, but it's clear that it's YA. The concept is pretty weird, but it's unlike anything I've read before, which is nice. It's very well written, and very enjoyable.

9. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Fuck, He has so many projects in the pipeline. Steelheart should be awesome. The RIthmanist was a good read and I liked it.. A Legion TV series can have huge potential and the sequel will be fun to read,

10. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Words of Radiance Cover. Release date is still not fixed. Middle of January is the estimate

[​IMG]

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This thread made me order the book. It had better not suck.

12. MonkeyEpoxy

13. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I saw on Brandon Sanderson's Facebook page yesterday that the release was being pushed to March of next year because of the time needed for the remainder of the editing and printing process. Hopefully it won't get delayed even further.

14. MonkeyEpoxy

Nothing really important, but this is an interesting screenshot on Sanderson starting draft 3. It's cool looking at the POV chapters on the left, and that's a huge amount of folders on the left.

edit: pic was too damn big

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BP_cInkCQAAfZ7a.png:large

Dunno, just another interesting insight into the day-to-day work of an author, which is something I find fascinating.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  15. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I liked seeing those few folders on the right with names I didn't recognize :D

16. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

The first three chapter of Words of Radiance :awesome

March 4 2014. Mark your calendar

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just finished The Way of Kings, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As mentioned before, possibly the best world building I've ever seen.

Cheers for the link to the WoR chapters. Would of never found it otherwise.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not excited at all. Nope. Not me.

Those excerpts were good for setting the stage, though if I know Sanderson he'll take my expectations and run them off a cliff.

19. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And this time, it shall be me who shares the wealth!

Read and enjoy folks.

Chapters 6, 8 and 9

(apparently chapter 7 is too cool to be previewed, or at least thats what I presume)