1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Way of Kings

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by disposablehead, Sep 28, 2011.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think the real problem is that we've all read Radiance and you haven't. In WoK, Shallan is very much a background character, despite having POV chapters.

Radiance is Shallan's book the way WoK is Kaladin's. In it, she evolves into a fully-realised character and most of her traits are given context.

So yeah, let's postpone this discussion for a later date.

Ash
  2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Guess it was a nice chapter but truth to be told, I am quite sick of Kaladin angsting, worrying and berating himself for not being better or faster. It made me wary in the first book and I was sick of it in the second book and I don't think I can stomach that for seven more books, each the size of four of five Dresden Files novels.

On the other hand, am a bit interested in Kaladin's parents but not enough to truly think about them. Never wasted a second thinking about them, if I'm being honest.

Huh, it's odd, really. Maybe that's just me but while I really enjoy reading the Stormlight Archive books, I have to say, after a few days of having read them, I really don't think about them any more, not as I do with other books I really enjoy. I am not hunting for fanfiction or fanart or anything, nor am I all that interested in theories or debates. If you hadn't posted this, I probably wouldn't even have thought about this until someone else brought it up or it was time for the new book.

That's the case with all of Sanderson's works, really. I loved the Mistborn, I loved Vin and I truly love the ambitious and awesome concept of the Cosmere but honestly, I don't really think about them afterwards. Dresden Files (even though my enthusiasm for that has cooled down significantly), ASoIaF, and others do.

Similarly, I forgot a lot about the magic system and stuff here. I honestly only remember the Shardblades and plates and Shallan's stuff, I pretty much forgot what Kaladin could do, only that he could fly or something. Something about this magic system seems lacklustre in hindsight, at least to me. I loved allomancy in the Mistborn but I having read two 1000 page tomes of this and I have forgotten a rather integral part, or rather parts of the story.

Is it just me or do you guys share that with the Stormlight Archive?

Still, thanks for the notice.

4. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I don't 'live and breathe' the books I like, so I don't go hunting for fanworks. DF was the only time that's ever happened to me, and even I seem to have settled down into a comfy 'mature' relationship with the series; the honeymoon is long over.

So I guess I consider Stormlight in the same way I do other books.

As to Kaladin's parents... I skipped the flashback chapters in WoK. Simply did not give a shit. I hate childhood flashbacks in general, as they usually end up reading the same as every other childhood flashback. The flashes to his service I enjoyed; his childhood could have been left nebulous and had just as much impact.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't like flashbacks in general, in all fiction. I much prefer it when the author is more subtle with the exposition and doesn't disrupt the flow of the narrative with 'breaks'.

I actually like Kaladin, even with all the angsting. Mostly because that's how I imagine all great 'amongst their soldiers' kind of leaders to be. Constantly berating themselves and their own harshest critic- though he's definitely not without fault.

I really don't like whatsherface though (says a lot that I struggle with all the characters' names in this series).

I do like the magic system though. I even remember toying with the idea of a Bleach/WoK crossover where Ichigo and his sisters are surgebinders due to their unique lineage, then later on tying that into Quincy massacre. I shelved it because there's still so much I don't know about surgebinding though.