1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't have the book in front of me for quotes but:

Brendan is involved in 'dark rituals', given the superstitious nature of his people they could easily just be seeing the signs of the 7.

Denna being in the city in the first place.

Brendan's boredom, how he's finding new things to entertain himself.

The emphasis/level of attention put on Brendan's cane when we first see it, keeping in mind this is Kvothe telling this story.

And Brendan casually mentioning he's a good dancer, something Deanna mentions as well.

That's all I remember off the top of my head. But given its Kvothe telling the story little hints like that weigh a lot more then they usually would.

2. syed

syed Supermod

I just had a thought, the trilogy is said to be Kvothe story, but that universe may be continued. There is that 10 year old girl who is a skilled fighter, I see her going out in the world to find someone steeped in ancient mysteries to aid her on her quest.

3. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

I would bet my right testicle (because fuck the right) that this is a tragedy and he will die at the end.

4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The fuck is a Brendan, do you mean Bredon or whatever?

J22
  5. syed

syed Supermod

Just because it will end in tragedy, does not mean it will be all his, some one put forth the idea that kvothe has laid a trap for his enemies. I really see Kvothe getting taken down, but if he does, He will ensure that his enemies suffer for it.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  7. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I note that Rothfuss uses an old IBM buckling spring keyboard (or clone of such). Gotta love clicky keys.

8. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

So we can expect the book sometime in 2015, I guess

9. Thyestean

Anyone else zoom into that picture to try and read the first page only to find information for his beta readers.

10. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

At least there's a tentative date.

Any progress is good progress.

11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

He has had it "finished" for years was my understanding and he goes back and edits each book 5000000 times.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes. But now it's sufficiently finished to send out to beta readers. He posted a list of the number of changes he made to WMF between the original draft and the published one on his blog - t'was huge. Whole central characters didn't exist in the original.

13. se7en

se7en Professor

Well that doesn't really surprise me, considering this was his manuscript for WMF.

[​IMG]

Source: His blog here

14. syed

syed Supermod

SO potentially it may yet grow, as mistakes are found and scenes get fleshed out. What with it as the finale, it has many loose ends to wrap up.

15. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

For once Syed, I agree wholeheartedly. Im actually kind of nervous for Doors of Stone since there are just so many loose ends that have to be tied up, I dont think Rothfuss can cover all of them and still introduce as many new elements as he undoubtedly has. Its just not comprehensible how he will resolve the story of Kvothe's life and do anything at all in the frame story.

16. Thyestean

I'm excited to see if it will be a fast paced story packed full intrigue and awesomeness. Hopefully he learned from his second book that while he is a master wordsmith, he needed to cut out some shit and pace it better.

17. syed

syed Supermod

Do we think he graduates before he fakes his death, or is he stuck as Re'lar? Its possible what with his advances with naming and creating new devices he might soon get El'the. His device to get fresh water, could also be used to get salt from salt water, which is useful and needed.
    I kinda hope he does graduate and gets his guilder as we know his story ends badly, this would be one small island of happiness in it. Its not like he needs it since he know the schaema for a gram already, but it is a recognized sign of magical ability across the world. It would help the reputation as Kvothe the Arcane if he carried it, some may doubt him but they would know him for a true user of magic.
    The thing is that its not like he is going to go anywhere else, the library and Fishery are places that have resources beyond anything he may find anywhere else. So if he graduates, he will stay at the university unless he needs to go else where or is force to travel by his enemies?

18. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Think you are confusing a really good fanfic with canon. The water thing is not Rothfuss, unless I'm forgetting something.

And there is still plenty for him to learn from Kilvin, Dal, and Elodin. If there are bindings restricted to Re'lar then it makes sense that there are bindings restricted to El'the, and I doubt that bone and blood are the only runes restricted to El'the. Not too mention Elodin is still a far better namer.

Also my understanding was the El'the doesn't mean you get a guilder, El'the is the final step before a guilder.

19. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Have you read the books, syed?

20. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Guys dont pick on Syed, he is just the highest person on the planet and tends to ramble a bit when he talks. I just think of him as the harmless village retard, someone not to be abused, but gently ignored on your way to whatever you wanted to read. He has good intentions.