1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Time Travel / Dimension Hoping Stories that don't insult my intelligence.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Freed, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

The Stranger series is one that always gets me down. I mean, it was a little bit spotty in places, but it was damn good to read way back. A shame the author up and left it in such a poor state in the end.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Maybe, but maybe he realized that the readers were right and that he had just spent several hundred thousand words destroying the character he had created in the first fic. The second installment of the trilogy was godawful, I am really glad that he did not continue it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  3. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

You may be right, but that duel against Grindelward was fantastic.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Seeing this thread has prompted me to finally read The Unforgiving Minute. I don't regret one unforgiving minute of it, since it was a great story. I am confused to why I was given thanks in the first chapter though, since I don't remember reading any parts of the story back then lol.

I am a fan of GreenGecko's trilogy, though it does take some time for the story to go from passable to awesome. It's about the only 'Severitus' fic that I would say is library worthy (and it is already in there). I'm not up to date with the story, the last time i read it chapter 34 (I think, it was one with dumbledore and grindelwald) was the newest chapter in the third.

Backwards with a Purpose is pretty good, but you have to have a high tolerance for perfect power-couple Harry/Ginny fics, with everything seemingly going in their favor. You need to be in the right mindset to read it I feel like.

I personally don't see what people like in the Stranger Trilogy. People look at it like it's some sacred cow, but I don't think it's good at all. But it's from a time long past I guess...

Anyways: two recommendations of different calibers:

Concentric Wavelengths is a great nut-and-bolts timetravel story. Highly recommended.

Crack'd Mirror... well, you've been warned.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Ah, the good stuff, I see.

6. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

So much shit went wrong for the first three time travelers that it's hard to keep track of it all. This is what happens when you have another time traveler, completely unconnected with the first batch, following his own agenda.

7. Freed

Freed Squib

I read Circular Reasoning a while back and I seem to recall enjoying it quote a bit.

I just tried A Stranger in an Unholy Land but I couldn't get past the first chapter. Perhaps its unfair of me but I just got hung up on the whole katana and light-saber deal. Not one but both; too much for me. While the whole light-saber with a spell thing is cool n' all it just doesn't work out in my mind. Doesn't quite fit my image of the HP-universe...unless it was a Xover with Star Wars. Now that sounds interesting.

Black Comedy looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

8. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

If you don't mind Delenda Est, it's sequel is up, it alternates between good and a bit crappy at times though, still decent.

Para Bellum

9. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Reading the first few chapters, and this seems bland. Not sure I want to continue, unless it gets a lot more interesting later on. Anyone else think this fic is worth reading through? I've read some fics that I thought were awful at the start, but ended up really picking up after the author found their feet. Is this one of those?

I kind of like this one. Has some parts I didn't like (some of the OCs feel really cartoonishly flat- like the DADA proff), but it was alright to read. Sucks that the author abandoned it right when big stuff started happening.

And this fic- it was a struggle to keep reading after the first few paragraphs. I couldn't get through the third chapter. Grey Lord Porteur De Mort...
    Ugh.
    I tried reading this a long while back and gave up at that same place.
    Am I judging this unfairly? It seems awful to me.

10. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I have no hope with that story. It had an interesting start where you could only anticipate something really bad happened to the order, Remus teaching him the basics at the Durleys and then do this desperate move. But when he arrived in the past there was no real plot. Harry just going to school like nothing happened and Dumbledore showed no real interest either in what he knows. The rest is just some Bellatrix romance, a lame school duel tournament plot and some dual Merlin background hints where I guess Harry will become that character in the end. But all feels so aimless.

Well, the guy is about Lockhart's depth. Not sure if the guy had a real function besides being there though. But the Black family is really great characterized. They all feel real to me. Even Draco is more than readable. I still hope it's not abandoned though.

Difficult to say. Some elements feel too forced like Harry's douchebaggish Gary Stu character. But there are plot parts I thought were interesting if developed(Riddle's foreign support and these wards). If it would only have more subtlety and not this blatant larger than life characterizing.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I can't speak to the other parts because it's all opinion and what not (even though I disagree. I actually like day-to-day Hogwarts stories with learning and shit), but there is absolutely zero indication that Harry will become Merlin or whatever. None, lol.

12. Anarchy

I've actually read through the entirety of Turning of the Sun. If you know me, then you know how rare it is for me to actually finish a fic (I'm pretty discriminate, and will close a fic fairly readily upon the first sign of stupid shit). It actually took me two attempts to do read this through. The first time, I gave up after the first few chapters as well, since it wasn't that interesting. About 6 months ago I would guess, I actually gave it a fair shot and read the whole thing. It was good enough that I decided to add it to my favorites, so I would say the quality definitely picks up. I'm not saying it's a five star fic (because it's not) but I don't regret reading it. I wish some parts were done better of course, but that's goes with every story.

13. samkar

So this Merlin history mystery angle has no meaning?

14. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Other than interesting lore to provide for backstory? It's a meandering tale to be certain, surely this would not surprise you? Seems like fleshing out the world is part of good writing. I mean, I have no idea what you've read in the other ~200K words that make you think Harry is suddenly going to become Merlin. All there's been is what amounts to half a chapter on the backstory of Hogwarts Merlin and the forest Myrddin or however it's spelled.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What about Havoc side of the Force? That counts as dimension hopping and it just got updated today.

16. samkar

It didn't look to me as if it was just a filler as it's a topic of Harry's discussion with Dumbledore and Bellatrix not just in one chapter. So I supposed the writer had something in mind with this subplot. That lead to the association that Harry is back in time(Merlin's myth of living backwards in time) and Harry's strange relationship with Bellatrix(could be his Nimue or Morgana). Granted, could be complete BS:)

17. Anarchy

The Merlin stuff is complete filler. I'm pretty sure that the author just read it on Pottermore and decided he needed to somehow legitimize it in his fic. It's a complete waste of words, especially since the Merlin stuff on Pottermore is some of the weakest content on there.

18. Punt

Punt DA Member

That one's definitely worth a read if only for the dynamic between HK 47 and Harry.

NTD
  19. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Here's a list from another thread I came across.

I've only read one or two on this list and they were pretty subpar, but maybe there's a rough gem in here.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I forgot about this one, because I read it a long time ago. Nothing eart-shattering, but pretty good. FanFiction.Net