1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned To End all Wars by padfootjr24/Trelawney's Love Toy - Eddings:Belgarath - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Mordecai, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: To End all Wars
    Author: padfootjr24
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    Pairing: None so far, Harry seems to be playing the field a good bit.
    Chapters: 8
    Words: 96,712
    Updated: April 19, 2008
    Published: September 30, 2007 (rewrite)

Summary: HPDavid Eddings crossover. When Harry is attacked by Voldemort after the end of his fifth year he is thrown into a world not his own and is now bound to the conflicts of two worlds.
    Link: Rewrite by Trelawney's Love Toy

Just found this fic, really good read. Only got 5 chapters just now, but has just over 46K words, so not bad. Harry is sent to the Belgarad (is thats its called, I can't remember) Universe, and gets trained up in that style of magic. Time flows differently in different parts of the universe, so 13 hours on earth is about 3 years where Harry now is.

Its really, it flows well, there isn't any stiltingness common in xovers, ther are some typos but not many, and there aren't usually that bad.

Checked by Minion, January 1, 2013.
    Originally by Padfootjr24 it was taken over and rewritten by Trelawney's Love Toy together with Padfootjr24. Thx to Belgarion213 for the link.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Rather well written, but I remain sceptical. Feels like Harry will go back to the HP universe after a couple of hundred years and nothing will have changed. But I might be wrong.

3. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I love this story.
    I'm a massive fan of the Belgariad series, so this is an unexpected pleasure.
    Either way, I don't mind how long Harry spends in that universe.

4. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I would prefer he skip the return to the HP universe, and stays in Eddings universe. Also, I wouldn't mind if he developed the story with a little romance between Polgara and Harry.

5. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

A point that interests me is that if a single spell by a wand could give those with true talent (grollims, Belgarth, Beldin etc) a Migraine, I dont think that Harry would stay on this world for long. THe Headaches caused by Hogwarts would be immense.

Another problem is that all the effects that the people from the Belgariad seem to be immediate (i.e if Belgarath wants to move a rock he uses his will and a word and moves it) however there, even in the books, is no mention of anything like a ward, creation of magical object etc. I remember that In one of the books (Polgara the sorceress or Belgarath the Sorcerer) that instantainous movement was not used much. I'm worried that Harry will arive back at his home and immediatly go to Hogwarts or some stuff.

That said its a great and well written story, and I look forward to more chapters. And I agree about hoping of some Harry/Polgara romance in the future.

What I am really hoping for the future though is some good old sorcers duels. If I remember correctly in any of the Eddings book there never really went into fighting with their gift, they just studied to expand it. When Harry does go home he is going to need to know how to fight magiclly.

hmmm, I wonder how talented Harry really is. In the books and this there seems to be a range of talent (with Beldaren being talented enough that with a Wand she could have done similar stuff to a witch or wizard) and people like Belgarath, Beldin, Polgara etc being at the top talent wise (Belgarath being held up as the most Talented person before Belgarion).

6. Bungler

Bungler Guest

One of the better crossovers I've seen. I didn't know anything about the Belgariad universe before this fic, but it was easy to follow and interesting to learn about the new world like Harry did.

*Feels a sudden urge to go out and buy the books*

And I agree with Zevrillion about the Polgara(the name reminds me of a demon in BTVS) Harry romance.

7. Mordecai

High Score:
    I think some Harry/Polgara romance would be interesting certainly. I would think that Harry would deal with Voldemort, tell his own world to sort itself out, then go back to the Belgariad world. Or at least thats how I hope it happens.

Remember it mentions that eventually Voldemort will arrive in that world as well, which will probably lead to quite a bit of fighting and such like.

Belgarion, the only fight I can remember it between Belgarath and wotsisname when they are going to fetch the orb. Wotsisname (i can't remember who is was, the traitor guy) made the mistake of saying "be not" or something similar, but before that they had a good going duel.

EDIT: Just got a review reply from the author, Harry will NOT be paired with Polgara, and they will not even become friends.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  8. Belgarion213

Yeah but all they were really doing was throwing attacks at teach other, there was no style and such.

I dont remember where it mentioned Voldemort arriving in this world. If he did then he is going to be really pissed. There are no pure-bloods, the name of Slytherin means jack and such.

Belgarath would be the greatest sorcerer other than Belgarion simply because he has had seven thousand years of expeiriance. Belgarion on the other hand is simply enourmessly powerful.

9. Bungler

Bungler Guest

Well, if she's going to continue to be a bitch I hope he gets to smack her around a bit during the training.

10. Mordecai

High Score:
    you have to admit Belgarion, that it is a tad difficult to duel with style when suing the will and the word. Ok, you can throw a fire call here, and call lightning there, but there is no real style to it that I can see.

Well, remember Bungler, he is planning to break her during training, which I imagin is going to involve using her own tactic of calling nasty memories into someones mind. But thats just my impression.

11. Bungler

Bungler Guest

Ah, didn't remember that bit(sleepy brain).

12. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Interesting. I know absolutely nothing about the Belgariad Universe but I feel somewhat compelled to find out now. In my book, that's the mark of a great story in the making.

13. Mordecai

High Score:
    Aye, Im actually heading to the local library in about an hour to get Belgarath the Sorcerer, Polgara the Sorceress and any other ones that they have in, maybe Althalus the Thief, even though it isn't in the same universe the guy is still a brilliant author.

14. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Wow, the last chapter sucked the big one.
    I don't know weather to go on a concrit rampage or just abandon this.

15. Kalissa

Kalissa Squib

A rather interesting story, though I don't understand half of what they are talking about seeing as I'm not even remotely familiar with the books. A sad fact that I intend to rectify as soon as possible. It is still not hard to follow and you get used to the terms and names rather fast.

An interesting plot, a good writing style and a brutal world to live in....is there anything better?

I have a few reservations about Harry going back but it would be interesting to read how the author will solve that particular problem. Also to quote the AN in the last chapter

I absolutely agree. I just can't picture Harry with Polgara without a big dose of alcohol. I think he is still rather young (compared to others) to settle down with a permanent girlfriend, a few random partners and short time flings on the other hand...After all, we can't have him go without any, can we?

~Kalissa

16. Belgarion213

yup. ANd remember that according to the author, and the Prophercy in-chapter, Harry will be there until the end of the books. That means that if he got together with Polgara at the time of this chapter, thats nearly 3000 years together. I can't really see anyone spending that amount of time together unless they are perfectly suited to each other. And while, according to the books, the Destiny that Harry, Polgara,ect follow usually does reward with a near perfect mate, I dont't think it would really work.

One thing im wondering about is can the way that the Belgariad magic system (using the will and the word) create permanent magical effects such as wards or magical items. If, as the author has hinted, other charecters from the HP world come over, I would try and have them bring over some books on warding or runes or something.

I, personally, liked the last chapter. I can see Harry playing a rather large part in the inteligence service for the nation that Silk(sp?) works for in the books, he sort of reminds me a bit of him.

17. Mordecai

High Score:
    Harry, spying for Drasnia? Can't see it particularly. He serves Aldur above all and the Destiny second.

The last chapter was good IMO, well written and it developed the plot nicely.

18. Belgarion213

Well a bit of a mixup. However I 'meant' to say that I can see him getting on well with Drasnian Inteligence. He has, in the last chapter, that kind of attitude.

The fact that Harry spends so much time trying to hide his mind seems to become a plot point. As of chapter five only the gods could find his mind. With three thousand years I wonder if he will be able to at least mask it from the gods, if only for a short time.

19. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

How was that chapter well written? Harry was very out of character, and that telekinesis thing was just the author pulling things out of his ass. It doesn't exist in either canon, was completely unnecessary to the plot, and with much more interesting things in the Belgariad canon, like demon summoning, I don't see why he couldn't pick anything else. Besides, where did Harry learn the telekinesis anyways.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  20. Alayna

Alayna Second Year

I like the idea of the story.
    But I have some troubles about the timeline. Hermione calculated (in the newest chapter) that Harry should have been in the new universe for over 90 years, but when the point of view changes, harry is still in his twenties...
    It could be that he just does not keep the same pace, but when he really stays there for the whole 3000 years I fear for Hogwarts.

And I fear that Hedwig will do a Poledra (change to a woman). It is kind of new, but... well, she's an owl however faithful...