1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

TOMD: Reddit gold on a really random comment I made a few days back. Think I just got random-act-of-kindnessed.

2. theronin

theronin Order Member

TOMD: Deadline on my first major project at work is Monday. We're down to <1% failure rate on ~10k test points, and if nothing catastrophic happens we'll hit 0 fails by then. Feels good.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

I am triggered as fuck by that big line of text extending off screen.

4. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

Screenshot? Nothing should be going off screen.

5. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Doesn't do that for me. So maybe a difference in resolution.
    TOMD so everyone was sick. Now they're not sick and my cough is finally gone. Small favors I suppose.

7. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: My next original outing, ELDER SHADOW (Reminiscent Exile #5), should hit e-shelves later today/earlier tomorrow. Will post a thread when it does - get me that sweet DLP bump.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Prisoner DLP Supporter

The new Lego Millennium Falcon came out today (for VIPs). It's their largest set ever - 7,500 pieces and some crazy MSRP like $800+

I want this thing. I want this thing real bad. There are three issues of course.

1) Availability. People were waiting in line for hours just to be at the front of the line in hopes of getting one of the few available sets. The official website crashed as well. So, I assume when these things go on sale to the general public, it's going to be even worse. Apparently the thousand dollar price tag isn't enough of a deterrent, though that's not that surprising since the set is gorgeous, much better than the old collector's millennium falcon what had a secondary market value of like 3-5K. From a raw numbers standpoint, the set isn't even good value for money, especially when you consider something like the amazing Saturn V set which was $120 for 2000 pieces, and has been out of stock everywhere for months. I'd guess that there is quite a lot of demand from resellers who wish to make a few bucks by flipping these things ASAP, just like at every major product release.

2) Size. This thing is massive. 33" x 22 " x 8". Displaying the thing would definitely be an issue. I have the Super Star Destroyer which is massive as well, like 50" long, but at least it's pretty narrow and can fit on a bookshelf. This thing needs its own special display method. My thought was a glass coffee table with a display box or shadowbox or whatever it's called, but all the "stock" ones are too small, and a custom job would likely cost just as much as the set itself.

3) Cost. $800 is a hard pill to swallow unless you're a diehard collector. The good news is that it's not likely to lose value, even after it's built, unless Lego makes a massive amount of these things, but going by the past, the opposite is likely to be true. Still, I don't have $800 to drop on a whim for this thing. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to pay $800, I just need to get it. That leads me to the TOMD.

I spent all day rehauling my TCGPlayer storefront. For those that don't know (likely 95% of the people here), TCGPlayer is a website where you buy and sell TCG cards. Mostly magic, but some yugioh and pokemon cards as well. The best analogy is that it's pretty much like Amazon, except for card games (though obviously you can actually buy cards on amazon as well). It's a bunch of people/stores using the site as a storefront.

Anyways, I've had my storefront up for awhile now. It takes a bit of effort to get to max seller level, which I did, which means you get unlimited listings and some other perks. Now, I'm only casual, since I have a full time job. That means I turn my inventory on and off frequently, because I simply can't handle the demand of having to pack and label dozens of orders in a day. So I'll turn it on for half a day and get maybe 20 orders.

Setting the correct price is the difficult part. The website gives you some tools to use, as it can tell you how your price compares to the lowest available price, or the market average. Naturally, setting something at the lowest prices means it will likely sell faster. But, you can also set your price slightly higher so that when all the lower priced copies of a card sells, then your card will be the lowest price but it will be for 10% more than what it was or whatever. For me, since I'm only turning my store on once or twice a week for 8 hours or so, I just price it at the lowest. If I get too many orders, I can turn the inventory off.

The tricky part is the shipping. It's actually kind of interesting. Like, selling an idem for $5.99 + free shipping is the same as selling it for $5.49 + 50 cents shipping. But, there's something mental where people will gravitate towards free shipping. It's not a huge difference in sales, maybe 5% but it's still a thing. It also means that you can sell lower priced cards, since no one was going to list something as 0 + .50 shipping, but you can certainly list it as $.30 + free shipping, since there is a $2 min purchase.

However, it is possible to game the system slightly, since that example isn't actually the same thing. If you buy two items that are $5.49 + 50 cents shipping, you don't actually get the shipping twice, since it doesn't cost any extra to ship a second card. I ship in a plain white envelope so the cost of shipping won't actually change until it's 9+ cards. What this means that on essentially every order where someone was ordering multiple cards (roughly about half the time, I'd estimate), I was losing fifty cents per extra card. Obviously, fifty cents by itself isn't a lot, but when you consider that that is the cost of a stamp you're essentially giving away, and that fifty cents really does add up when you get to like 1000+ sales.

So, I reconfigured my profile so that shipping free. That's where the issue comes in. It's simple enough to adjust the shipping cost. In fact, having it set at 50 cents as opposed to free does have a benefit, as you can temporarily drop the shipping down by ten cents to simulate a sale and to get your lists lower. When the shipping is set at free, you can't do that any more. It was kind of like a fudge factor. Anyways, the issue is that the cost doesn't automatically update. You always have to manually set the prices, so $5.49+50 cents now became just $5.49 + 0. I had to manually go through my entire inventory and reset every single price. Sure, you have simple price matching buttons that make it easy, but with 1000+ listings, it took the better part of the day. I listened to the destiny 2 soundtrack 3 times in the time it took to do that. I can't imagine the nightmare it would be if I was an actual store that had a real inventory of 100,000+ cards. It simply wouldn't be doable. However, large stores have access to a bulk pricing feature where they can adjust the price of every card with a few clicks. However, the reason I can't do that is because all of that work was frontloaded - to use that feature, you have to set the price of every card. Since I'm not selling every card, it wasn't worth the time for me to set the price for cards I don't actually have.

Anyways, the whole point of this, is that over a few months time, the cost of shipping saved should be enough to buy me a new Lego Millennium Falcon. Or at least half of one.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Finally broke a plateau I've had with the overhead press, without injuring myself in the process :). I don't have anyone to spot, the only people I know in this town go to a different gym, so I have to be pretty fucking careful especially with that one.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

As someone that's had two shoulder surgeries, be careful man. That's an easy way to mess up a very bitchy joint, and there's a reason my surgeon and PT both told me to never do those afterward.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Yup, I'm very careful. I could be less careful if I had a spotter, but such is life haha.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Some fucking hilarious shit is about to go down in my race. Thank you DLP for teaching me to troll.

13. Paladin

Paladin Second Year

High Score:
    Reading about the Varangian Guard has me wanting to write about a fantasy Varangian Guard doing Guard things, like dying to a man for the Emperor. I also blame @Sauce Bauss for getting me to read Wheel of Time, and now I'm like "The blood of Manetheren still sings!" >:C

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

It's against the rules to leave us hanging like that.

15. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

16. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: I was sitting across from a Satanist on the subway earlier today.

How could I tell, you ask? Black shirt, dark pants, black shoes. Elaborate pendant about the size of a silver dollar around his neck, kind of like a Texas string-tie, with an upside-down pentagram on it and inlaid with jet. Big jet and silver signet ring with another pentagram on his left ring finger.

I will freely admit that I stared at him for a while as I noticed these things. You get all sorts on the subway, but sometimes you still find things you weren't expecting.

17. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe he just was a goth that liked to accessorize.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It's against the rules of my employment to discuss specifics :(

19. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The dreaded NDA strikes again.

20. Anarchy

Anarchy Prisoner DLP Supporter

In lieu of the post I made yesterday about the lego and magic card stuff, I bought a collection of Lego off of Craigslist. Living in northern NJ, getting good deals off of Craigslist is pretty much impossible, but I managed to snag a good one. 65 lego sets for $450. It'll take a bit of effort to go through all the pieces and actually get the sets together, but the average value across all the 65 sets is like $33, with 12 of the sets being large playsets which I should be able to flip easily to recoup all of my cost. I should be able to triple my investment, though it won't be easy. Luckily, I love putting together lego sets so it will at least be fun.