1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Several Years ago, when I was in college ( nearly 10 now I guess), they had a similar scholarship in NC. Thing was, they eliminated support for it, because the governor that sponsored it, was no longer in office, and the other administration removed it from play. People were getting 2k dollars, and when they cut it off, they wanted the students that received it to pay it back, mid semester. So, kinda similar thing, but not the same. Just sucks that they do that shit and expect the people to pay it back, even after its already been funded.

I'd tell financial aid to suck my asshole, and if they want you to pay it, they have to find you first.

Cause afaik, if you don't answer their call enough times, they just stop calling.

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Totally Sirius

My grandmother died today. I managed to get to the hospital five minutes before she passed on. The hour and a half that followed that were pretty fucking terrible. Funeral and wake have been scheduled from tomorrow till Saturday. Didn't think I was gonna cry as much as I did today.

3. Ludwig

Ludwig Second Year

High Score:
    My dog is 17, she seems fine most of the time but lately, she has been feeling a bit down.
    She had a seizure(I think that's the name) yesterday. She's better now, but I took her to the vet and she'll stay there for a few days.
    This really sucks because she's my last one, about 5 years ago I had 6 in total but they're gone now.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Well...our University is "smart." If you have an outstanding balance you are not eligible to register for classes the next semester. So avoiding the financial aid office was not an option.

That said, I was in and out of that meeting in five minutes. They waived the 3000 for me. Apparently they recognized how much of a crap show this was and wanted to avoid any bad press/legal action. It didn't hurt I was wearing my Student Government t-shirt either. Haha.

So happy that is over.

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

My condolences, and I hope you and your family can find some sparse moments of calm in this hectic time.

I'd be skeptic until I had it in writing that they were going to do just that, but preliminarily, that's a pretty decent outcome. I was expecting you to have to pay it back, perhaps on a payment plan if the university was feeling gracious.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Have it in writing and they will be taking that off within the week.

And yeah...it helps that the Dean of Students and Head of my undergraduate program both were the ones who helped set up the meeting. Thankfully, I've been blessed to have solid relationships with them over the past year I've been at college. They were pretty indignant on my behalf.

7. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros.

TOMD: Trying to give myself a crash course in SQL

8. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

TOMD: About to take a midterm with a headache, cough, and mild fever. Gotta love my life sometimes.

Update: I either miraculously did pretty well, or am too out of it to realize how badly I fucked up. We'll see when grades come out I guess.

Update 2: My building is on fire. Looks to be small, and in the first floor so I should be okay (I'm on the fifth). Life sure is interesting.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 4:46 AM
  9. Anarchy

Anarchy Prisoner DLP Supporter

Last episode of Critical Role just finished, marking the end of the campaign. Man, what an emotional roller coaster. It's hard to believe it's actually over, though a new campaign starts sometime early next year.

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

TOMD: #3 draft done. The next and last draft will be a style-sweep, checking for consistency and voice and all that stuff. Afterwards, whatever else has to be done to polish that MS has to be found out by the people who get to read it, because I've read it so often now I'm growing utterly blind to it.

11. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros.

TOMD: I'm graduating in six hours

12. awinarock

awinarock Alchemist

TOMD: I did something I haven't done in quite some time. I went out, I had fun, and I met (and fooled around with) someone I seemed to click with. I broke up with my girlfriend a couple of months ago and I've been in a slump since so actually making the effort to go out and have some human interaction is a big step for me and it made me realize I'm still young and I have still have a lot of love to give and receive. I feel lighter and I actually look forward to tomorrow and whatever it may bring.

13. Zombie

High Score:
    Swipe right.
    TOMD don't ever eat Carolina reaper sauce on hot wings and if you do, God speed. You're going to need some medication for your asshole.

14. Ludwig

Ludwig Second Year

High Score:
    TOMD: Wondering if you guys know any good ways to practice my writing skills. I want to start making my own stories after only reading for a long time.
    Any writing exercises or programs that might help?

15. Zombie

High Score:
    Just write something.

16. Ludwig

Ludwig Second Year

High Score:
    Fuck. I didn't think about that.

17. Rehio

Rehio The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's pretty much the truth, though. Writing is a skill, and ultimately the best way to practice that skill is to just put the words down.

Yes, there are some folks that write a lot and just spin their wheels, not getting any better, but as long as you deliberately practice writing with a focus on improving, you'll see results.

18. Seyllian

Seyllian Professor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Getting critique is also incredibly helpful.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Also not cracking the shits and taking the critique on board.

Everyone is shit when they start. Everyone.

20. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

TOMD: a category three storm is currently tearing the country apart and I forgot to buy booze before everything was shut down. :(