1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Nope, afraid not to both.

Went and got a CBC and tested out for any immunodeficiency problems, but everything came out in perfect health except my liver. My liver has some issues, but as I don't drink or take a bunch of meds, I'm kinda guessing it's fatty liver that's not going to go away? That's a follow up for later. All I've got is pure speculation based on a slightly off number compared to the standard.

Gonna keep trying to figure out what went wrong with the teeth, but short term is just aggressive brushing. Brush the hell out of these bastards (within reason). Second opinion dentist seemed to be rather confident that it was aggressive periodontisis with a rare sort of bacteria.

Damn, this hurts. They didn't quite numb me for the hour and a half of drilling, and I am feeling it.

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just seems weird that they would say cocaine is the cause of your issues, unless I'm reading that wrong.

3. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Yeah, she was kind of stuck on it. The pattern of damage didn't even make sense for cocaine use, as it was centered in the back area of the mouth (and cocaine users apparently swish the front and ruin the front of their teeth?).

Tried to get advice, but all I got was "Well you should think and what you're doing in your life and get back to us on that."

4. Zombie

High Score:
    Sounds like a cunt to me, I'd ask for a refund.

5. pbluekan

pbluekan Professor DLP Supporter

Should start a thread log of that process. I, for one, would love to see it. What’s the granite look like?

6. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    TOMLastFriday: Was my nineteenth birthday last friday, and I had been planning on going out with my grandma for dinner in Bristol. Then came the news on Wednesday that she had been hospitalised with pneumonia and was in intensive care.

On hearing this, my flatmates arranged a surprise birthday party for me after dinner on Friday, complete with cake and many candles. I couldn't stop crying. I love them so much.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: Blast from the past. There's a popular (well, by Polish Internet standards) YT series called "Matura to Bzdura". Matura is the exam we take at the end of high school. "Bzdura" would be bullshit. Essentially it means "the exam is bullshit".

The show's format is the host interviews some random people on the street, in a park, at a mall, etc. and asks some basic knowledge questions from different disciplines, like European geography, Polish history, math. And I mean basic. What's 1/3 + 1/4. Or, "on whose side did USA fight at Grunwald?", Grunwald being the most famous battle in Polish history, when one of our most famous kings pwned the Teutonic knights. The dumbest idiot knows that we pwned Teutonic knights at Grunwald, the equivalent would be "who was President during the Civil War?"--essentially something so well known that a dog would feel ashamed to not know the answer.

Grunwald was in 1410. I'm watching people being tricked into saying "sure, Americans fought with us".

And I don't want to say I know every answer to every question asked on the show, but at least 95% for sure. The show has been going on since 2010. For going on 8 years they have been proving that either: A) most Poles are fucking dumb B) the exam (read: public education system) really is bullshit if we have people pointing to Ukraine on a map of Europe and saying "that's Russia" C) both.

There are exceptions that restore some hope and I don't doubt that they probably just edit out answers that aren't suitably dumb enough to be entertaining, but they're not interviewing senior citizens with Alzheimer's. They interview millenials, highschoolers--my generation. And people fall over themselves to tell a noun from a verb, how to add two fractions with different denominators, or what in bloody hell such a sinister substance as H2O might be.

I don't consider myself to be a genius--decently literate at best--but when two economics college students don't know what inflation is, I can't help but think I surely must be smarter than 99% of the country.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Damn dude, all my sympathy. 21 is crazy.

9. Erandil

Erandil Headmaster

Eh, in such cases pressure often plays a huge role. There is a large difference in answering questions like these in the comfort of your own home with nothing but your own pride at stake and answering them in front of a camera knowing that failing will make you look like an idiot on national TV.

That said such shows of course tend to prefer to focus on the extremes (if they aren't fully scripted anyhow) but even so "common" knowledge is often not as common as one might think.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Pressure is pressure for sure, but at some point we have to stop cutting slack for morons.

11. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

I went diving today for the first time ever in a cenote in Mexico.

It was pretty flipping fantastic. I saw eels, held a baby flounder fish and got to see an alligator. Later on that day, we went to a beach the locals told us about and it had amazing reefs, no tourists and was totally filled with life. So many fishes (including a huge flounder chilling by shore). I wish we had more time as apparently the further out we went we might have been able to see sea turtles.

5/5 vacation so far.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It's basically the best. Also wife has shut up about stuff being everywhere because the bench has functionally infinite storage space underneath it. Tomorrow's project is adding a peg board behind it. The initial design did not incorporate one, which was a mistake given the number of hand tools I have sitting around.

It's a pretty boring gray, but the property will be a rental unit once I'm done renovating it so it wasn't like I was going to get super picky.

13. Ludwig

Ludwig Third Year

High Score:
    After 8+ hours of carrying heavy boxes and fixing up my new room, my body just gave up. I can barely move my head.

I can't even reach the medicine cabinet. Send help.

Edit : Words are hard when you're in pain.

14. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: Biked 16 miles today, double my usual distance and I haven't exactly been keeping up with that since the last time I posted about riding. My body was not ready. It was also 36 degrees before windchill. Took Oz's advice to dress in layers and carried an extra sweater if I needed it(fortunately not) but man, that first hour was just torment. Temp gradually climbed into the forties by the time I started back and became moderately bearable.

Oz
  15. pbluekan

pbluekan Professor DLP Supporter

Diving is, IMO, one of the greatest sports on the planet. I’ve taken it far enough to be a divemaster. Which cenote did you do, and was it your first time diving or your first cenote?

16. ScottPress

High Score:
    TOMD: Oh my fucking God, I think my stupid fucking weak, pathetic, disgusting, pathetic, weak body may have chained the flu into a cold. It's been more than 2 weeks and I'm still coughing and sniffing like a cunt. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

17. Zombie

High Score:
    Take some vitamins and drink some milk. Good luck.

18. Ludwig

Ludwig Third Year

High Score:
    Pain is still a bitch to deal with, don't think I'll be able to get out of bed for a couple more days.

I'll use this opportunity for my first HP reread of 2018, hope that helps bring some ideas to mind so I can start writing.

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Update.

First of all, belatedly: apart from the start that evening was fucking miserable. Through ways I have not yet gleaned, I was dragged into a game she wasn't playing, and wasted two hours of my life listening to a couple argue about the correct ways to solve several problems so that we could advance in the game. I put a tactical retreat into action the moment the last problem was solved.

Then there were the holidays, I got sick, she got sick, exams, yaddayadda . . . bottom line is, today I asked her on FB if she wanted to meet up and get coffee next week, and she said yes, and I put forth the 14th, and she said that's alright. And now, like six hours later, I suddenly remember what day the 14th actually is, and I'm wondering if she noticed that herself.

Anyway, I'd pay good money to have a picture of my face the moment I realized the date. That shit usually passed me by completely these past years.

20. Zombie

High Score:
    Make sure to go to a nice place for dinner, let her order what she wants, and don't impose a limit on time. Its about her. Rooting for you to get laid my friend.