1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig Third Year

High Score:
    Shaved for the first time in 4 months.

I have the most serious case of Baby-face recorded in history.

2. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's got you beat, @Paradise.

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

Oh, this font is perfect for my project!

Oh... this font has no goddamned uppercase.

4. Miner

Miner Professor

I've heard becoming a vlad is a once in a lifetime experience.

5. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I went from a fairly large beard to a ridiculous mustache very recently. Face is cold AF right now.

6. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

TOMD: I'm feeling really weird. It's not something that I can really talk to my friends about and my family aren't around right now so fuck it, onto DLP we go to vent? or ask for advice maybe, who knows. Life just seems kinda pointless lately, and I don't know why. It's a weird state of mind that sort of crept up on me, and I realise that i've been feeling this way for a while. I can't particularly enjoy anything, or even get myself involved in anything. Nothing's wrong particularly, uni is going well, my friends and other relationships are all great, my interests and hobbies are fairly unchanged - and yet nothing feels meaningful or fulfilling anymore.

It feels like time is just passing by, and all i'm doing is wasting it. When I go to bed at night, there's just a deep dissatisfaction that I wasted the day - even if I was 'productive' by going to uni, hitting the gym etc. This weekend has just come to a close, and I really don't know what I spent it doing. I thought maybe I was just a bit burned out from doing 'productive' things so I played some video games with my mates and that felt the same. After a few games of fortnite I just couldn't be bothered to play anymore, there wasn't the same feeling of fun. I find myself going on netflix to watch a show, getting 5 minutes in and having the same feeling of time slipping by so I close it, only to do...what exactly? I'm not depressed, I just spent the last 5 weeks on my psychiatry rotation and saw genuine depression. I don't really know what to do guys. It's very much a #FirstWorldProblem so I know I shouldn't complain, i'm not suffering or in pain or anything even close to a real problem that other people have. I just dislike this feeling, like i'm weary to the bone all day long, without being tired at all.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I'm just a random Internet person, but have you considered talking to someone, a professional? I don't exactly know what kind of professional you'd go to with this, and I'm basing my guess on Wikipedia at best, but could this be depression or something along those lines? Or maybe you're just burned out.

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

No more raiding Saxon villages obscure and esoteric music stores?

9. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Was playing a game and my graphics card freaked the hell out and my computer blue screened.

Had that dull feeling of like "Well, life is fuck," while I investigated things and tried to figure it out. Wouldn't move past the opening "ASUS" screen on reboot.

After a couple restart attempts it told me the Boot manager was missing and just sat there.

Actually went into Bios and poked around. Looked at the boot options and selected a different hard drive to boot from. My computer successfully started.

I didn't even have to ask anyone. I mean.. I didn't do anything incredibly complex, but I just fixed something after hitting that panic level where you're so stressed out that you can't feel feelings, and that feels pretty nice.

Gonna go ahead and uninstall that game, now. I don't even care if I could adjust things to make it work, that thing is dead to me.

10. Innomine

Innomine Unspeakable Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's an interesting one, this. I'm probably going to be very unhelpful, but perhaps it's just something like a transition from one stage of your life to the next. The things that used to mean a huge amount to you aren't quite as important anymore, and you will have to end up finding something new to give you meaning in life.

Not sure how helpful it is, but do something new, break the routines you are in. Challenge yourself. Stop the stagnation really.

This may or may not help, but I think it's something a lot of people go through. I know I have. It's not depression, it's just.... listlessness .

11. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

Finally managed to find some time when the entire group was free, and managed to run Pathfinder again yesterday. Over Roll20, because of distances.

We'd planned on having four or five hours, because a few people had things going on.

Unfortunately, those people were students, and those things ended up being cancelled.

Eight hours in, we finally realized what we were doing to ourselves. But they levelled up, which is good.

12. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Death Eater

The game didn't fuckup your boot manager, you just had the shitty luck to half your boot drive fail while playing a game. The two have nothing to do with one another.

That being said, congrats! It's a real good feeling to be able to solve those sorts of problems on your own. It's why I love tech so much - there's such a visceral feeling of success when you solve a problem and can immediately see the impacts in your environment.

13. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

TOMD: Watched a grown man eat a tide pod to impress a girl.

The worst part is that she was actually impressed.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

I don't even want to thumbs that up. Who the fuck does that.

15. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    [​IMG]

16. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Natural selection at its finest. Here's hoping that one of the effects of tide pod consumption is sterility.

17. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

I've been doing a stretching routine for the last three weeks and it's paid off.

I touched my toes for the first time today. Ever.

18. wordhammer

wordhammer Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Not to minimize your situation, but it's possible you're suffering from low vitamin D levels. Even if not, it's a cheap possible fix with no downside.

19. Lindsey

Lindsey Order Member

@TMD , I agree with @Innomine. I have felt the same recently. It is not depression, it's just boredom with everything. Like your life is already set and this is how it is going to be forever.

I've minimized the affects by trying to get myself out there and do more things, even when I really don't feel like going out. Go find a game night, or just a friend to chill and talk with. I will also recommend Vitamin D and a sunlamp if you live in a cloudy/depressive area. It works wonders for listlessness. I think it is a huge reason why people in the PNW are homebodies and have the 'Seattle Freeze'.

Or, if you have the money and PTO, go on a vacation. Seriously. My trip to Mexico made me get out of my dark place as it was something new and interesting.

And thus my TOMD, just came back from vacation with some friends. Saw some cool things, such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, Cancun, Mesoamerican Reef (2nd largest in the world) and enjoyed the fuck out of the sun and beaches. Totally didn't want to leave.

1.5 years and i can finally start my year long trip around the world. I can't fucking wait.

20. The Waco Kid

The Waco Kid Seventh Year

TOMLastWeekend: Played in a overnight indoor ultimate frisbee tournament. Randomly drawn teams, 9:30pm start, 6:30am finish. Team ended up 5-3, which was pretty good. Pretty much past the leftover soreness, but have a nice bruise (and cut) on the inside of my knee from where I got stepped on with a cleat.