TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    Maybe it was the only one she could find you on?

Can't hurt to accept.

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

TOMD: Playing a Naruto DND with @Lungs, @BieberGrl96 and GM'd by @Menace with no numbers, just story. Final destination.

3. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am very happy right now. We are the three Sannin.

4. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

Accepted and starting chatting. Still, it's the oddest start to chatting up a girl I've had so far.

I'm not sure I have words to describe my jealousy right now, that sounds like a hell lot of fun. I'd read a summary of it tbh.

5. Arthellion

High Score:
    I second that Jealousy. Sounds like a blast.

6. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

So in this permutation/round, I'm controlling what amounts to GoPro plus commercial drones. You design the product, assign R&D budgets, set warranty policies, sales/promotions, marketing budgets, pricing, discounts for vendors, wages/bonuses, attendance policies, fringe benefits like childcare or offering on-site cafeterias, training budgets, building/expanding facilities, automation investment, relationships with large retailers, charity, green initiatives, safety equipment, supplier code of conduct requirements, bonds, dividends, issuing shares, share buybacks.

It includes things like exchange rate fluctuations, demand fluctuations, credit ratings, regional policies, how your company is perceived by the public, even corporate social responsibility awards. Financial statements issued every year to see how you're doing.

You're competing directly against the rest of your class, so one student doing better is actually stealing market share from the others. For most people, they play as teams so one person is CEO, one person is CFO, one person runs marketing, etc. I'm in a team that consists of me, myself, and I. The global rankings aren't a direct competition in the same market, but we're all doing the same scenario. You get ranked on return on equity, EPS, etc. It has the necessary abstractions to make a simulation playable, which means it's not 100% accurate of course. Still, it's a fun way to see how all the moving parts fit together.

Pretty fun, though it requires some kind of paid subscription through an institution as far as I know. Had a friend try to see if he could play as well.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    More and more universities are adding the experiential learning aspect to their classes.

In several of my history classes, we've had "exams" that were in essence roleplaying games.

Debating Galileo...The Council of Acre in the Crusades...Ruling as a Japanes Daiymo...

Just a few of the "exams" I've taken. Makes the learning fun and you really learn.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    I would've loved that for my history classes at university.

Unfortunately, the last time I can remember doing anything remotely like that was in school... in ninth grade politics class. Had to debate "The Wave" in a fictitious court room scenario that took place after the events of the film, with me taking on the role of main character and defendant Rainer Wenger. Most of the class had an absolute blast, and I earned an A for my own efforts. Good times.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Got my Icelandic wool sweaters. No idea how I lived without one of these before. 10/10, would buy again.

The best course I took in college was on the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Our professor, who was a diehard conservative, assigned exams that were 1/3 of our grade, a paper that was 1/3 of our grade, and two debates worth 1/3 of our grade. One as Lincoln, one as Douglas. 10/10.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

TOMD: Everything is fucked.

Woke up early, checked my bus ticket and realized that I booked it for two weeks from now instead of this weekend. Can't get to Wilmington today because the next available schedule is late as hell, so I rebook for tomorrow.

Also bought a bigass car battery jumper, because I tried to start the car yesterday morning after not having driven it in a week or two.
    End result, I'm out a bunch of money and the car still won't start so I have to call a tow or something on Monday.

Fuck everything.

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is is a manual or automatic. How olds the battery?
    You might have something drawing power because its bypassing aux, or it could just be an old as fuck battery. That tends to happen.

You could maybe roll start it if its manual. You might have a shit alternator.
    Does it click when you turn the key over, or is it ded ded.

12. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Phew, won my first Civ 6 Deity game (299 turns) with Roman domination victory.

13. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

I agree with @Zombie.

Chances are your battery is so dead it can't be jumped. This happened to me when it died (on a freaking small island, waiting for a ferry, on a Sunday when everything was closed), and we were completely unable to jump it. Luckily, a local changed the battery with a spare, started the car and removed the battery and told me not to turn off my car until the mainland.

Go and buy a battery and test it out. Most places will allow you to return the battery if your car still doesn't start.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    TOMD: sick with fever and sinus infection. This is the fourth time I’ve gotten sick this semester despite taking a ton of vitamin C.

I blame my girlfriend and dad. Girlfriend works at a daycare. Dad is a teacher. Apparently parents don’t care about sending their contagious kids to school.

(Both Dad and gf have been sick a lot this semester too)

15. Jarizok

Jarizok Groundskeeper

TomYesterday:

Went to Ikea to buy a couch. Came home with 180 euro worth of stuff and no couch.

16. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Yesterday? For shame, dude, that was supposed to be last week.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I wouldn't have that problem because the room I rent is too small for a couch, and I don't have the money for 180 euros worth of stuff. Clearly, the solution you're looking for is to be poorer. There's a life lesson for ya.

18. Jarizok

Jarizok Groundskeeper

It's a foldable couch/bed combo thing. My new studio is not big.

I can work on becoming poorer though. How hard can it be? Just buy some more things, right?

19. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Leaving Iceland after a week of hiking and sightseeing. Loved my time in Reykjavik and can't wait to come back.

For those who haven't been, book a day at the Blue Lagoon. It's expensive, but 100% worth it.

20. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

TOMD: School has been absurdly busy for the past two weeks, and cleaning out my inbox slipped by the wayside. Just went through it, and in the past two weeks I missed a number of time sensitive emails that I now have to reply to with apologies, or just bash my head against the wall for a bit because some of them there's just not point in replying anymore.

I've now set a weekly reminder to clean out my inbox every Sunday night, should prevent this from happening in the future.