1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Set a priority inbox with keywords related to said emails so thay yuu get notified regardless??

2. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: Looking back over some of my older writing. Even after I'd refined it once in June '16, there was still a lot of shit to cut down and revise now. Now I've just got the next couple of chapters to trim the fat off of and smooth out so I can finally get the fourth chapter pulled together. I guess I'm just astounded at how bad my writing was even a couple of years ago.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  3. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Auror

TOMD: Was supposed to be studying for a test tomorrow morning, ended up listening to my entire Spotify Discover Weekly and realising I love some of those artists I've never heard of before. Off we go. One rabbit hole led to another, and well, now I'm too sleepy to study, but not sleepy enough to sleep. FML

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: who else is watching today's Flacon 9 ISS ressuply launch? This shit is awesome every time.

5. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Thanks for the advice. It turns out I'm just an idiot who's really bad at attaching the clamps properly.
    I don't know how but I ended up reading a consistent 7.5 volts on the battery after initially checking in at slightly low but not completely dead 11.8v.

Jumpstarted it properly, ran the engine at ~2000 rpm for a few minutes and took it for a drive up to Harlem and everything's back to normal. In other news, I still remember how to parallel park but I took 3 tries to back into a spot on a lot.

Many lessons learned, all in all.

Oz
  6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Have a meeting next week with an assistant Dean . . . and I don't know why. This could be good, this could be bad, this could be nothing at all. Needless to say, I don't like it.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Auror

High Score:
    Hate those kind of meetings.

“What the heck am I going into?”

8. Zombie

High Score:
    Better start working on that gag reflex.

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

I'm watching Manhunter on the TV, while playing Oliver Harper's commentary for it on the PC, while playing Fallout 4, while I'm waiting for the friggin' 14GB Overwatch update to finish downloading.

I'm Multi-Slacking©.
    2018, baby...

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

goddamn, i just had a video that I've had up on youtube for 10 years get hit with a copyright claim, what a joke.

11. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

Claim squatter's rights or something?

I'm on day 3 of new employment. Day 1, my manager was on holiday, but I had to sit through all the normal on-boarding training. Day 2, my manager asked if I could continue going through the training materials online, because she had a lot to catch up on.

Today, I asked when I was going to be trained on how to do the job.

Next week sometime, and "just click around in the learning center".

So I spent the day watching a webinar on how to improve productivity.

12. Zombie

High Score:
    TOMWeek:
    Been in the hospital with my kid since Sunday for an extreme allergic reaction for some meds he was given to treat an ear infection.
    Finally get to go home today, little guy is one happy camper.

The frustrations of not being able to talk to him effectively short of him signing that he's in pain over and over has added some age to my body that time might not otherwise would have.

Just glad to be going home.

13. Innomine

Innomine Unspeakable Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I’m sorry man, that’s a shit thing to experience.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I'm sorry @Zombie that sounds absolutely horrifying.

TOMD: Went to the opera last night and had a blast. It was fairly obvious why, during it's debt performance two centuries ago, the performers were hissed off the stage. The first two thirds of the opera were the male lead just being a drunken philandering oaf with periodic not particularly veiled shots at the Pope.

10/10 did standing ovation.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Auror

High Score:
    TOMD: Still sick. Sinus infection and fever. Missed 3 days of class. Really hope this doesn’t screw me over. I’m on track for all A’s this semester so I’m not worried about passing, but I have a 4.0 for the past 6 semesters. Would hate to screw that up.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    An old guy came into work today, wanting to swap some old £10 notes for the new design. We aren't supposed to do this, although for small amounts I might do, depending on my mood at the time and the attitude of the customer. Today, I stuck to the company policy of "I'm sorry, we can't do that I'm afraid."

"Yes you can."

"...No, I can't."

"The Bank of England want these notes back so they can cancel them, so you have to take them."

"That's...really not how it works." (It might have been a more valid idea when the notes in question were still considered legal tender, but it's definitely not the case now)

"It's a basic rule of trade! If you buy a car, or some sugar, from another country, then you have rights!"

"...What?"

"It's basic citizen rights, there are millions of citizens in this country - "

"I'm aware of that, sir, I'm one of them."

"I'm not interested in that! I don't care about your nationality! But you are obliged to exchange these bank notes."

"No. I'm not."

It continued in this vein for a while, including a digression involving the existence of MP's from different countries which I didn't quite follow, before I lost patience and walked him out of the shop to the bank around the corner 'to see what they could do for him', in the full knowledge that they would tell him exactly the same thing I had.

17. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    #humblebrag, eh? Well done, though.

TOMD: Spent the day running around in a whirlwind of meetings and obligations, such that I got almost none of my own work done. /sigh

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    TOMD: YES. I AM VICTORIOUS. YOU DO NOT COMMAND ME, YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKWIT OF A MACHINE. I AM YOUR MASTER. YOU BEND TO MY WILL, OR I FUCKING REAM YOU.

Just won an hour long fight against my stupid fucking laptop, including safe booting, removing partial updates, damn near smashing the fucking thing against a wall, and general fury. And to think all this is because it has a fucktiny hard drive, which means it can't install this stupid fucking 8GB update. I will need to get myself an external drive, but that requires money, which will take a few months. Until then, the stupid fucker will have to contend with not up to date Win10, or woe is me, whatever shall I do if I don't have extra 8 gigs worth of Win10 bs? Fuck you Microsoft for disabling user choice of auto updates, resulting in this goddamn episode of my barely suppressed urge to undergo stellar ignition.

19. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Death Eater

Strongly disagree. Anyone who doesn't update their laptops as soon as updates are available is putting themselves and others at risk. Unpatched windows workstations are a major source of botnets, espionage, and cyber-warfare across the globe. As far as I'm concerned, I'd force update all Windows 10 Home edition laptops every time Patch Tuesday hits, too fucking bad if it means consumers lose an hour of computer use.

On a slightly more conciliatory note, never let your hard drive go under 10% free space because that breaks things on most SSDs, even accounting for manufacturer hidden partitions. Additionally, an external drive will not likely solve your problems. I'd advise using google drive, O365, or even dropbox for large file storage rather than tying yourself to an external drive that you'll have to drag with you every time you move your laptop around. Unless you're using WSUS (you're not), don't even bother trying to change the way WUSA stores update cache files on C:/, it makes more sense to move data off of your main drive onto a cloud service or another, larger, local drive to allow Windows the space to do what it means on your main partition.

If it has an SD card reader than you can grab a 32 or 64gig one off of Amazon for like $20-40 bucks.

20. ScottPress

High Score:
    I absolutely would update, but the laptop I bought only has a 32 gig drive and it's a netbook, with no space to upgrade intestines. I only went through this because the laptop went into the fucking Lenovo loop error where it was stuck in the boot screen because it couldn't complete the update.

Speaking of the card, it has the slot for it. 40 bucks seems like my price range, even in Polish currency. Could I just use it as a permanent "extra drive" to store non-system native apps, like Chrome, Discord, Skype, etc? Because that would probably free up the space to solve the problem. In a year or two I hope to save up enough to buy an actual laptop with sensible disc space or build a PC. Alternatively, could the card serve as a extra partition that the computer would recognize? Because it's not a problem to just keep the card in the slot, as opposed to hauling an external drive around.

As far as forcing updates on all users, I'd rather they stop selling bloated systems on hardware that doesn't have the disc space for it. Or just let me get it with Win7.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018