TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

This is the sole reason why the previous Conan game became incredibly popular for about a week on Twitch.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

First day of my first practical teaching placement. Quietly panicking. The fuck do I know about teaching? D:

3. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    You'll do fine, TWT. We believe in you.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    You're Wise, you'll do fine. What are you teaching btw?

5. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

I have spent literally 6 hours looking at computer cases. I still have not found one that grabs my attention for more than a few minutes.

Might just get the guts of the machine and re-use my current case, for now at least.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just make one of those exposed builds where you don't use a case at all.

7. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

TOMD: I seem to have caught pharyngitis. Just before exam week. But not close enough to miss exams. FML

8. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

One day I'll build something akin to this.

[​IMG]

9. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Meh. I honestly don't get the fascination with a rig like that. I mean, yeah, it looks cool. That fact will last me a few days maybe. But it's impractical. I can't move it around for a lan party, and I never really understood the need for so many monitors either. Having two -- one for gaming, one for browsing -- I can see that. But three? The obvious black edges between them would bother me while playing. Depending on what I'm playing, the illuminated table itself would probably trigger me. And that's the last thing I want from a rig, when my whole aim is being totally immersed in a game.

10. why?

why? Slug Club Member

High Score:
    Do you not torrent because of your hard drive issue, potential legal problems or ethical reasons?

I know in certain EU countries, you can get ridiculous fines for torrenting (Germany), but in some others (Netherlands), no one gives a shit. If it's not for ethics, then there are services that cost about $10/month (put.io) which are basically like dropbox, except that they can download torrents for you at incredibly high speeds and if they're video, you can stream directly from there.

11. Zombie

High Score:
    I mean I get this. But if I had a rig at the house I was never going to move, you bet your ass I would.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    Ethical issues? I am not familiar with that concept.

Hard drive issue and I fucking hate downloading something I want to watch. Anyway, I tried it in Microsot Edge (the new Win10 browser) and plays smoothly there, no hiccups--well, there are still bullshit drops in quality, but at least it keeps playing. And mostly it does play in HD. The site still loads like shit tho. Netflix is godlike in comparison.

13. why?

why? Slug Club Member

High Score:
    Well, if there's no major issues, then fair enough.

But since you have no ethical qualms over this (I don't either, but many do), give put.io a shot. There's a free 1-day (wut) trial. For $10, you get 100GB of space. You have to manually copy/paste the torrent link and then stream it. So, that's a bit old school, but it's usually instant because if someone else has downloaded it already, you just get a mirror to that. It also streams pretty well to mobile devices.

And you don't need to pay for HBO *and* Netflix. However, this does come at the cost of not having the convenience of seeing all the available movies and randomly picking something.

I like the idea of having Netflix's library and it's easy access, but I actually end up spending more time exploring it than actually picking anything to watch, smh.

edit:

I'm not affiliated with them or anything. Just have used the service for a few years, including in Germany where I never got any issues.

14. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

Was looking at part prices earlier, and I've realized that my PC is more valuable six months after I built it than when it was all new parts. I never thought I'd see the day when gaming computers became potential investment vehicles.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    @why?

I don't pay for Netflix. The whole family is mooching off dad and HBO is in a free trial for now. I'll probably end up funding HBO for everyone to use, but I have to figure out if it's possible to stream on more than one device simultaneously. Netflix is up to 4 separate devices in the top price option.

16. Zombie

High Score:
    Don't quote me, but I don't think they have a limitation on users. I know that I have it on my phone, and my wife has it on hers and I can stream to multiple devices in the house and she can too while I'm using it.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    I would check with my phone, but Windows Phone doesn't support the HBOGO app apparently.

18. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

Official pages don't give a number, but this article claims it's three for both HBO Go and HBO Now.

TOMD: Went to a Kygo concert yesterday, and had a blast. I'm definitely going to try and find as many concerts to go to between now and when I graduate, no idea why this is my first one.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    TOMD: Only two weeks left in this semester. Where did the time go?

Time to buckle down mi amigos. Finals are coming.

20. BTT

BTT Death Eater

I've got 6 weeks left, mate. 4 weeks until the deadlines start hitting, at least.

Besides, exams are the best time of the year. No worrying about huge projects or having to make teammates shape up. No waking up early or having to trek to school. Easy excuses to duck out of everything you don't feel like doing. Sure, sometimes you get fucked by the schedule and have to try harder, but even then it's fairly chill.