1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Really? I hadn't noticed the epubs bit. I've always downloaded PDFs, so I suppose I just didn't give a shit. I'll give it a try, though I suppose PDFs just annotate better (speaking out of my as here, I'm salivating at the thought of the Apple Pencil), and more reference managers support them over epubs.

I hate printing papers. I, unfortunately, have a certain level of OCD when it comes to paper and print quality, and most printers I've come across just don't print that well and buying the kind of paper I prefer to hold is just difficult. Mind, this only manifests if I have to write on that paper. My thresholds for books is much lower. I've gone over to the Kindle a while ago and I've never looked back for non-technical writing, so even that shows itself less and less. Paperless FTW.

I'm perfectly fine reading papers on my laptop. I just prefer lying down, reading and annotating, something I've begun to realise the iPad is just perfect for.

You'd only do that if you're a masochist. The results always manage to be horrendously weird for me, though maybe this is a function of the software I've used for this. Calibre.

2. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Word of advice: When you're finding a place to live, find one within easy walking distance of a market that sells good food. The city, and especially the outer boroughs, have a lot of quality-food deserts. Secondary, easy subway access. Everything else is tertiary.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: Discovered r/roastme. Haven't been able to stop laughing since.

4. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

TOMD: Took my car to a new, local mechanic because the authorized service is 50miles away and I couldn't get enough time off at work to get there and back. Anyway, when I went to pick it up I found out I was the only person ever to ask for a receipt. That's in Greece, at a reputable repair shop, so I guess it explains a lot about the state of the country right now. In the end, he asked a friend of his at the spare parts store across the street to issue a receipt for the amount I paid, and they "would figure it out" between the two of them.
    Also, I was told that the reason they can't get rid of a persistent warning light is that my car is imported from the US . Clearly, I need to teach it some Greek...

5. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

I touched a stranger's penis today. Feelin' really glad I passed that test and get to go to clinicals.

Honestly, though, I'm getting more permissions and I'm able to perform more of the skills I've learned I progress in the levels, and it's nice to actually be able to practice this stuff.

And hell, the dude said "Good job, bro," after I got done removing the foley, so that's something.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Doing Tough Mudder today. My body is somewhat ready. My Hawaiian shirt is glorious. Let's go.

7. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Just remove the battery connections. It should reset the computer and remove the warning light. If it comes on again, it's because there is a real problem. If that happens, and they don't know what to do with it, just order a $50 OBD2 scanner from Amazon and read the codes yourself (very easy to do). Then, take the car to a shop and tell them what to fix.

8. vlad

vlad Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    Drove 14 hours today across what felt like half the country. A few thoughts.

1. Texas is big. I know everyone says this but it really is you can be in 'East Texas' and then you drive for four hours and you are still in 'East Texas'. Ffs if you leave Austin then it shouldn't take you an entire fucking day to reach Shreveport all I'm saying.

2. Atlanta is awful and next time round we will burn it ourselves I spent two of the fourteen hours fucking about on the I-75/85. Also, they are still storing flammable stuff and trucks and shit under the bridge I couldn't believe it didn't we already learn this lesson.

3. Texas is big this really does deserve repeating you hear it all your life but you don't appreciate it until you have to cross it.

4. Mississippi River really is something if any of u have the time there is a rooftop grill in Vicksburg with great sunset panorama. Worth it.

5. Texas is the only time I've ever been somewhere and been like welp only 200 miles of gas left in the tank better make sure I stop at the next gas station some of this was just being extra cautious but even so, whew.

9. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

This has been going on for the past year or so. I figure if the mechanics at the official service couldn't figure it out, I probably won't be able to either. I might get the scanner anyway though, I hadn't realized they were so affordable. Thanks.

10. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    No problem. The scanner will give you the code, then just punch it in to the computer. It should be specific enough to limit it to a few things if not something specific. At least this way, you know you're not getting bent by the mechanics.

11. TheWiseTomato

Good news: I did more cardio prep for Tough Mudder this time. Bad news: it was at the cost of leg day. My poor calves.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

How was the course this time?

I've been hearing that some courses are two laps this year, but not at every location.

13. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck Atlanta.

14. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

Calves are something genetic anyway. Time constraints? You can always try to do doubles, a morning squat session and a (relaxed) night run. Eat a little more to compensate.

Sounds like you've got Atlanta stories to tell.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Unspeakable

High Score:

Atlanta traffic is terrible. And Atlanta drivers.
    I second the hatred.

If you’ve ever been to Atlanta...you’ve got a story to tell.

For insight check out the “city of Atlanta” Facebook page. It’s not official but it gets the point across.

Atlanta is terrible. I don’t even want to get started...

16. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would never willing drive through Atlanta. Thats a death wish. I like how they get across the border to here and drive like a bunch of fucking grandma's. I've never understood it.

17. TheWiseTomato

Course was good, no repeats. Too many fucking hills though, and we missed out on what looked to be a fun obstacle because a rope had snapped earlier in the day.

18. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

Leaving the house for my first Half Marathon, the Rock-and-Roller in Liverpool.

I hope my legs don't fall off.

19. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

20. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Legs fell off, it seems.

TOMD: Got my shoulder MRI done. Having a doctor clinically point out the places your body's managed to fuck itself up is mighty disturbing.