1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Traveler by The Straight Elf - T - Pokemon

Discussion in 'Games' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

He updates fairly fast though. If you consider the length of his chapters, incredibly fast. What is it, 13 chapters and nearly 300k words? Considering most authors only write between 5k and 10k words per chapter and update every month or so...

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Dude updated with another monster chapter.

Fucking Mewtwo you guys, holy fucking shit. And the egg finally hatches.

muhfuckin sneasel

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Pft. All they had to do was throw a Masterball at it.

I wonder if when or if we'll see Mew. Only Pokemon that can stand up to Mewtwo, right?

4. MonkeyEpoxy

I would wonder how the other Legendary pokemon would do against Mewtwo. I suspect they'd lose, but from the little we saw of Articuno in Seafoam, it might be a nice fight, but on the other hand, Mewtwo singlehandedly destroyed the Elite IV and their retinue of ACE trainers. We'd need a point of comparison between Articuno or Zapdos or what have you against an Elite.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

The legendary birds plus Lugia vs Mewto would be a tough battle. Lugia is a strong pyschic, so I think that would play into it.

6. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

I'm actually curious how he'll portray Mew now. We know its basically a super powerful psychic kitten, but I wonder if he'll make it get serious at all or not. and the power gap between the original and number two.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

Updated. Kingdra vs Gyarados is just as badass as you'd figure it would be.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, yes it is.

I can't believe how much this has improved since it started. It's gone from being kinda readable to one of my favourite Pokemon fics over the course of the story.

9. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

The pacing at the first few chapters really makes it hard for me to continue reading the story. If the author decides to re-write the early few chapters, I might be able to enjoy this fic.

2/5

10. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Updated. loled a bit at the dig at every other fic that has Ash buying up Lance cloaks.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

I honestly can't explain why this story enraptures me so much. Now, I'm pretty fucking drunk right now, liquor drunk so I'm going, but I imagine that the reactions of the Pokemon are similar to what they'd be in real life, IE, Sneasel's reaction to learning Ice Beam, a reaction similar to a particularly malicious cat, or Pidgeot's reaction to learning Steel Wing as a particularly experienced bird. The fact that Ash wanted to "ask" Sabrina's pokemon for information on Mewtwo is awesome too. Also, I can see how the training sequences remind HP fanfic readers of the training sequences therein, but fuck, I love reading about how Tangrowth learned Solar Beam, or how Sneasel learned from Ash and his other pokemon how to behave as an adult. The fact that the "Legendary Pokemon" are truly special doesn't hurt either (i.e. Mewtwo being ridiculous, and Articuno nearly being able to kill Ash and all of his Pokemon by its mere presence in the Seafoam Islands). Another random point for me: I love that Sabrina's bade, the 6th badge is regarded as more difficult to attain than Blaine's volcano badge. I can't really explain why, other than the fact that I like that the arbitrary gym order is being spat on.

Man I love this story. Jesus Christ. Pretty much the textbook definition of, "what might be 5/5 for some, won't be for others."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    One thing I'm loving about this is how type advantages are explained.

I'm sure everyone has seen stuff like this, or has justifications in their head - electric doesn't hurt ground because it is GROUNDed. Or whatever.

But this goes and gives reasons - grass types are weak to flying types because they don't tend to have anything that can damage them. Electric types are weak to ground attacks because the tremors that accompany such attacks disrupt their electric gland.

I also have no idea how this guy pumps out so much. I know it is a while between updates, but then he drops a 37K chapter after what, two weeks?

13. MonkeyEpoxy

We also got another glimpse of a Legendary in this chapter, and Zapdos doesn't disappoint. At all.

And in the, "might just be a coincidence," category, Knot Island, where Ash will train with Lance, contains Mt. Ember. Moltres' roost. Yep, author responded to my review with dat spoiler, "I was wondering how many people would catch that. It won't happen immediately, but it's time to round out the set."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  14. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

The legendary Pokemon are ridiculously powerful. Zapdos and Articuno are both forces of nature, not just powerful pokemon. I honestly don't know who'd win between Mewtwo and the Birds. They're equally intimidating.

15. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

The story has been updated.
    I can't believe he keeps apologizing for being 'late' with updating while posting chapters this big.

16. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I much prefer insanely powerful unmatched legendaries to barely above normal pokemon legendaries who can be easily defeated by a strong and well-trained normal pokemon. It might have been taken a little bit too far in this fic, though. I don't know how they're realistically expected to be defeated. Still, remember what Mewtwo did in his movie. This isn't that much beyond that.

17. MonkeyEpoxy

That cliffhanger fucking blows, but damned if I don't love his descriptions of the legendary birds. Christ, seeing Moltres make volcanos erupt with its cries makes me want to see what Ho-Oh can do, just like Kingdra's vast manipulation of the sea abilities makes me wonder what Lugia can do.

That might be the point. We'll have a decent answer to that when/if Lance and Ash get their asses kicked six ways to Sunday in the next chapter.

That's also a good point regarding canon Mewtwo in the movie. Zapdos may have made a giant storm that influenced a wide area, but Mewtwo altered the entire planets' weather with a wave of its hand.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  18. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Considering how the Champion and three of the Elite Four as well as a large amount of elite League troops got totally curbstomped by Mewtwo, I'm pretty sure that the only thing that can check a legendary is another legendary. And you know what? I'm more than fine with that.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, a long-ish first chapter, so I'll make a few comments as I go.

Impressed with how Ash dealt with the fact that he didn't get a Charmander like he wanted. He was legit happy to get a pokemon of whatever kind.

Not impressed with Gary, as he seems stupider than a proper rival should be. Also these kids don't seem... prepared, at all, and yet they weren't forced out either. I mean, come on, "my mom forgot to pack my potions." Really? Not to mention "I wish someone had told us how to teach Pokemon movies" and various other things like that. It's implied that these kids were specifically groomed/chosen to be able to leave Pallet town as trainers and whatnot, so why are they so ridiculously unprepared?

Not impressed with the writing as a general rule. It's readable but that's about it.

It's also a little good bit boring. I'm tempted to keep reading based on the reviews here, to see if it improves, but as it is I'm hard pressed to give it more than a 3/5. And that's pushing it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  20. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Oh, it's basically acknowledged that the beginning chapters are all not that great. It's really when Ash seperates from his friends that it gets good. And about Gary, to be honest, I completely forgot about him by now :p