1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Tuebor by hugplx - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Synchro, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Kinda, yeah.

But in all seriousness, this is just an example of how Kishimoto can't draw for shit. All his characters look ridiculous.

2. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Kishimoto can draw better than most of the population of the planet myself included. I'd like to see you do better.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Missing the point entirely. Sure, he can draw better than 90% of the population of Earth but does that really make him a good artist? Compared to many other artists he sucks ass, especially when drawing women.

We're not comparing him to the non-artistic population, we're comparing him to those who are in the same profession as he is, making art their primary focus in life.

Saying 'I'd like to see you do better' does not a good argument make.

4. Anstid

Anstid Fourth Year DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

da Vinci can't draw for shit. :awesome ​

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh I agree, just look at how she's looking to the side, like she's bored or something. Absolutely pathetic. :awesome

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Uh. Lol? So because I can't draw I can't say another person is shit at drawing? That's smart logic.

I'm not comparing him to the rest of the people on the planet. I'm comparing him to his peers. Compared to Akira Toriyama, he's a 4 year old opening up his first coloring book.

7. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

That is one of the most retarded arguments there is.

Ridiculous Argument deserves ridiculous example:
    A surgeon leaves his car keys, cell phone, scalpel and several used condoms inside a patient, the patient dies. When the family screams for justice the surgeon responds. "I'd like to see you do better."

Seriously, anyone who uses that argument deserves to be cunt punted. Repeatedly.

:rrou:

Oh and by your own logic, you're not allowed to tell anyone here that they can't knock Kishi, since that would be saying that they aren't teh pro artistz, which you can't do until you prove you're better.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  8. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Okay, I'll admit it was a knee jerk argument.

But how exactly can you say, beyond any argument that Kishimoto is a crappy artist? Are you a connoisseur of fine art? Do you routinely critique other's work, knowing what makes good art 'good art'? I sure as hell don't. But I do know that I like his art well enough.

If you want to see crappy art, go to Deviantart and browse for a while. You'll find plenty of examples of people who 'can't draw for shit'. Compared to them, Kishimoto is a wonderful artist.

And I never said he was a good artist either, nor did I say no one could knock him. But compared to Akira Toriyama, I think Kishimoto is the superior artist. It's all a matter of opinion isn't it?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

Most shocking thing I've read in a while. I don't think Kishimoto is a particularly talented artist, and as well as that I'm not a big fan of his style, so I was kind of nodding along, but then out of all the great artists (or at least all the great manga artists) you could pick to compare him unfavourably with... you pick Akira Toriyama, probably the worst manga artist ever to hit the big time. Hilarious.

10. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Depends on your taste. I, for one, think One Piece is much more crappily drawn than Dragonball and its ilk. I also don't think Kishi's art is THAT bad. Sure, his female characters aren't all 10/10 knockouts, but I don't have any real problem with that. It's kinda more realistic to me that way. I've got much bigger issues with his plot at this point than I do with his artistic skills.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  11. artenry

artenry Guest

^ This, quoted for truth.
    Although to get into that right now would be getting off topic, and would also be redundant, seeing as we already have a Naruto Manga Thread.

12. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

I think my main problem with Kishi's art style is the blandness in a lot of his characters designs, which is why I like Asura Pain so much. The dude some bizarre crossover between a Transformers Quintesson and Mortal Kombat's Goro that rocket punches. I do like Akatsuki's designs in general though.

Having said that, I vastly prefer Kishi's work to Bleach, which is pretty much just massive pillars and white background splashed with different coloured inks for power blasts etc. I could easily see Naruto's artwork looking much better if he worked on it fortnightly or even monthly. Hell, the story might have been a lot better due to longer periods to plan in between deadlines.

But of course if you compare Kishi's art style to say, Kentaro Miura then he looks pretty terrible in comparison.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  13. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

This is one of those stories that gets a mention every so often, even after all these years, so I decided to give this a re-read. I don't believe I've read it since it last updated and it's strange to think that I once liked it so much.

It has that classic opening focusing on Naruto's crappy childhood and then uses it to justify him learning the Transformation Jutsu which he originally struggled with for years in canon. Introducing Itachi at least makes an interesting start, though you'd expect something like Naruto being five years older to be mentioned in the summary, but him conveniently being able to graduate early alongside him without explanation felt cheap.

I don't like Uzuki Yugao in canon and I don't like her here. I would have preferred it if it just focused on Naruto and Itachi in the first chapter with bringing whoever a third genin teammate was into things.

And then Naruto suddenly reveals the ability to use Wood Release in the final scene without any forewarning as if it'd just been thrown in at the last minute. Made worse when it's revealed that Naruto essentially replaced Yamato so he was apparently part of an illegal experiment sometime during that childhood. The whole first chapter would have made a lot more sense if Naruto's Wood Release had been introduced from the get-go to justify Itachi's interest and their early graduation.

Really, there's a few details in the first chapter alone that bugged me such as Mikoto being called a chuunin instead of jounin, Naruto being quicker at hand-seals than Itachi, Naruto creating an earth wall indoors which should have busted the floor, and he says Itachi is "the greatest human being he'd ever met" to Mikoto after he just, y'know, the massacred nearly her entire family.

I'm not gonna do a chapter-by-chapter breakdown; I was just caught off-guard by the number of flaws I found at the beginning.

Beyond that, it's readable but there were only a couple of things that I actually liked about the story (aside from the basic appeal of Naruto using Wood Release). One was having the son of the Land of Fire's Daimyo as the third member of teammate which struck me as an interesting concept, though it would have been more believable if he was one of several sons instead of the only one considering the dangers of being a ninja. And how did the learn all of those wire skills anyway? Anyway, the other was the focus on Orochimaru's cursed seal as there aren't really any stories that do anything with it beyond branding Sasuke whereas Orochimaru seemed to be branching out a lot more here.

But that's about it.

Hiruzen claims that Naruto was single-handedly managing the village's security but we don't know why or how and never see him doing anything those lines. Naruto regularly takes some pills but it's not explained and never seems to experience any symptoms to justify them. The Sharingan's copying abilities get treated as some terrible thing that should be used for training or anywhere near allies. Mikoto regularly has assassins after her life for reasons unknown that requires Naruto's toads for protection. Etc etc.

Yeah, so this hasn't aged well at all.

2.5/5 rounded down.

14. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

It got abandoned before it could ever evolve into anything or be influenced heavily by Canon. So compared to most fics this is still better.