1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkish Security Assault US Protestors

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Xiph0, May 18, 2017.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

This would be the Turkish government, that influenced Trump's through Michael Flynn in order to get policies were favorable to them and against American interests. Or would it be the Russian one, which planned to do the same and bragged about it?

Sup cuck.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  2. Invictus

Invictus Prisoner

Now the Turkish government is saying that Erdogan's bodyguards we're cowardly attacked by the police while they were protecting the president from an 'unauthorized protest' and that the police were woefully incompetent in their duty. They lodged a protest with the American ambassador and everything.

And Trump is still quiet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/turkey-condemns-us-over-aggressive-acts-against-its-bodyguards-in-dc-during-president-erdogans-visit-in-washington/2017/05/22/05133db6-3ef4-11e7-b29f-f40ffced2ddb_story.html?tid=sm_Fb&utm_term=.a89f077f7fe5

3. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I saw this.

I feel like I'm getting more furious on Americans' behalf than they actually are, which I very much doubt is true, just how I'm absorbing the situation through the media.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Does seem like Trump's total non-reaction has wrong-footed most of the normal responses we'd get to this. The right can't whip up much of a story over it while Trump appears to not care at all, and the left doesn't seem to have found a way to use it to attack Trump that they're comfortable with.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Trust me, Americans are pretty mad about it.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    We're mad, but we're also close to burning out over information overload. We've been encouraged to get outraged over so many minor things it's like we don't know what to do when something does happen.

Also, it seems national unity is at an all time low. We've been told to be mad at each other for so long we've forgotten how to be mad on their behalf.

We're tired of conflict. Tired of outrage.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    I mean, this doesn't surprise me in the least. I guess I just ignore or scoff at a huge majority of the MSM Outrage Machine's output, but I can see how people's get desensitised to it.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    Part of me wonders if this is do to lack of national pride as well. A lot of Americans tend to be ashamed of our country or revert to the redneck 'merica stereotype that longs for the good old days. Not many are proud of who we are right now.

That coupled with a tendency among groups to see ourselves as more global citizens...

It's an odd conundrum

9. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Lack of national pride? Americans?

The Left was probably a bit too preoccupied with the deluge of leaks coming out last week. Any normal week, and it'd've been talk of the day for ages on that side (ties in neatly with the Trump-autocrat links that are being called for), but considering everything Russia-related... There's only so much you can discuss in a certain period of time.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    It could be that I'm only associating with specific Americans due to my interests, but yeah, national pride isn't exactly at an all-time high.

Some would even admonish those who are proud.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    This I see to be especially true in Academia at least from my experience. Rarely do classes focus on the great things Americans have done but rather we spend a great deal of time on the injustices Americans have inflicted. Don't get me wrong, it's important we recognize our mistakes, but the exclusive focus on our wrongs have lead many to feel ashamed to be Americans.

Little is said about how we push forward peaceful transition of power. Little is said of us being on the moon. More is said of the atrocities committed against Native Americans.

Look at WW1, we focus more on the internment of Japanese and war crimes America committed than the heroism of our soldiers.

12. DerHesse

DerHesse High Inquisitor

Not to sound like a total douche, but better late than never.

Look at basic German history lessons. Broadly speaking it's French Revolution, Napoleon, 1st and 2nd WW and then it's basically KZ, genocide and other atrocities. From my time in school (until class 10) I can't remember a single uplifting topic regarding Germany, that wasn't skimmed.

Edit: Sorry in advance, I know it's off-topic.

13. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Wrong world war.

At least when I was in school, the problem with World War I was that US history barely covered it at all.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    Derp. Thanks for the catch. Typo there.

WWI is still covered very briefly when I took my American history classes. WWII was covered much more in depth.

As for Germany, I wonder if that has something to do with why they are so globalist. Lack of pride in their actual nation so less of a desire to be nationalistic.

The Germanic peoples is pretty BA though in history. Heck, a few different decisions and Europe would be mostly German today

15. VanRopen

VanRopen Auror

Since when? The default overarching narrative of WW2 is and always has been "America, Fuck Yeah".

I dunno if my experience is apparently that nonstandard, but I get literally none of these complaints.

16. pbluekan

pbluekan Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I think it is less a lack of national pride and more a lack of faith in our government. For the past 9 years after the '08 crisis we have had the privilege of watching our government collectively spin its wheels. Arguably it could be seen to have gone on since the end of the Clinton presidency, but the end of that era was rather overshadowed by the events of 9/11.

The 'Great Recession' or whatever the fuck they've named it today, is a fairly clear dividing line in the quality of visible national politics. It marks the point where we saw party lines become almost solid barriers and a willingness by certain groups in congress to use extreme tactics to get their political agenda accomplished. (Im referring here to the series of filibusters that culminated in a government shutdown and a downgrade of our credit rating. This is a practice that hasn't changed, and the same attitude is what kept a new Supreme Court Justice from being chosen last year.) This is compounded by the events following the '08 crisis: Despite all the heartache that had been caused, many of the banks and individuals that caused the '08 crisis effectively walked away with a slap on the wrist.

I'm also of the opinion that the rise of social media in the last 16 years is also a major contributor to this feeling. Even if the actual facts are incorrect, there is a general feeling of awareness of contemporary issues. People are more apt to notice these problems are not being addressed, and they naturally get angry.

Welcome to the Trump brand of populism.

Sorry for any spelling or grammar issues, I'm on my phone.

17. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    My elementary school study of WW2 was ProAmerica. High school saw a transition to more study on the international effects and reasons (Napoleon/German consolidation etc) but college went heavy on the cons of America in world war 2. Current college student

My younger sister got the cons almost from the get go of middle school. Note, we are Deep South schools so that may have a factor

18. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

This was definitely my own experience as well, and I live in a pretty blue state.

19. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Facing the realities of ourselves isn't a problem. Education doesn't exist to function as endless boosterism.

I view this as part and parcel with the long overdue death of the concept of American Exceptionalism.

20. Agayek

Agayek The Chosen One

True, but facing reality doesn't mean "focus on the bad". For all the bad shit, there's an order of magnitude more good shit, for basically every nation and society on Earth. Fixating on the negatives isn't any more "facing reality" than whitewashing everything.