1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

'Turn Coat' sample chapters!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sophie, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The writing's not awesome, but the characters are. Dresden's humor and wanting to see who the black council are as well. Needz moar Ramirez.

2. TwilightAmbition

TwilightAmbition First Year

Yes, I'm familiar with the theory, your point? I don't see how that would make the death of Thomas/Susan at the hands of the council make Harry any less psycho.

3. Ranku

Ranku First Year

Seems like we'll be seeing Cowl and Kumori again in this book; I hadn't noticed it until now, but the Turn Coat cover has two darkly cloaked people standing next to each other behind Harry.

Of course, I could be wrong, but they're the only duo we know of who dresses that way.

I guess it was obvious we might be seeing them again, though, considering how this concerns the "traitor" and the traitor obviously concerns the Black Council, of which it's fairly certain Kumori and Cowl are a part of.

4. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I could have told you we would be seeing them again since White Night. Cowl and Dresden round 4 will be coming soon.

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Things are looking up. We've already got the White Court involved so there will inevitably be more going on than we can see. The likelihood of a Senior Council battle is increasing by the page and if Cowl/Kumori are actually in this we should see an epic battle between them and Harry at the end of it.

I'm suddenly eager to read the whole thing.

7. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Harry/Molly vs Cowl/Kumori? I will still put my money on Cowl wiping the floor with Harry although I think Harry will definitely get a couple good hits in. Harry is more powerful and far more skilled than he was when he last fought Cowl.

So far Im still kinda disappointed. Chapter 3 is better than the first 2 but not up to par with Butchers best work.

8. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I noticed that too, but it doesn't have to be Kumori and Cowl. Those two figures could just be a representation of the "Black Council", as they will certainly be making an appearance in this book.

That amused me, a lot, but I don't get how Harry can get into a movie theater to watch 300. Is it because the projector is at a distance from him?

I'm with with you on the anticipation and excitement part, but I'm also ready for a letdown. As a lot of other people have pointed out, the first couple of chapters aren't up to Butcher's usual quality work. Turn Coat might have a lot of epic fighting, but if it's in a mediocre book,then it will be useless.

Come to think of it, Butcher's last great work was Small Favor. Princeps' Fury was a huge disappointment. I just hope that he can make a comeback, and match Small Favor quality wise. If he does that, I will be a happy boy.

9. Invader.Azula

Invader.Azula Seventh Year

Oh no! I was just going to go buy Princep's Fury. I've recently just started reading the Codex Alera and finished the first 4 books in two weeks. Hell I just may buy it anyway. I have to know what happens with the vord.

But back on topic. I thought that this chapter was much better than the first two, (even though there was no Butters), and I wouldn't mind seeing Justine again. I still call Luccio as the traitor though. :)

10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow. Weird thought just struck me. De/La Fortier was the traitor. Morgan's injuries, his arrest warrant, everything is one large, convulted plan to 'prove' Harry's guilt as a 'second' traitor.

EDIT: Though Morgan joining the Black Council for the greater good does have a certain appeal.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    I'd love to see how they could mangle the truth enough that Morgan would even think about joining people who practice black magic, though to be honest I just don't see it happening. Morgan still has the whole paladin feel to him.

Also, Fidellachius is going to him. I'm 99% certain of it now. I'm expecting this whole book being about him being tested on his faith in the White Council and then emerging stronger because of it (with a brand, spanking new sword to prove it too!).

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Morgan they make too one dimensional. I hated him in nearly every part he's been in, save for his conflicted emotions about killing Molly, but he damned sure was going to do that too.

13. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I'd imagine the distance would allow him to sneak the occasional movie, but he'd probably have to sit near the front. Or he could have seen a movie poster or something.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Okay chapter 4 definitely gets much better than the first 3 and I am no longer disappointed.

Dresden gets fucked up something awful when he opens his sight up. He is absolutely terrified to the point he is counting prime numbers to keep his mind off it.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    WOW. I read that chapter while stoned, and jesus. I don't know if it was just that good, but it was definitely interesting to read.

I wonder if that thing will become the main focus of the book.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why are the chapters so short? Or were they always this short and I simply never noticed because I had the whole book to read?

17. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I think it just looks different as a single block of text instead of having to turn pages. But Taure you might be right they do seem kinda short.

18. Nuhuh

Preview Chapter 4

Well, it looks like it is getting exciting. Only one more free chapter though - I think Butcher said he was putting out five, we have four now.

Considering the kinds of things Dresden has already seen, to be turned into a gibbering mass of fear after just looking at what is after him is pretty kick ass. I hope Butcher delivers on the hype.

Anyone who hasn't read the latest: Preview Chapter 4

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    Any ideas on what it could be? I thought Outsider for a minute since he's never seen one under the Sight, but I'm not sure that Butcher would send out the big hitter this early.

That said, we can rule out vampires and fae since Harry's seen them with the Third Eye and not been turned into that. Likely as not we can rule out ghouls and other similar creatures too since he'll almost certainly have Seen them at some point during the war.

So... if not Outsider, any other ideas?

20. Nuhuh

Maybe...just maybe *stills his aflutter heart* it is Susan! in all her transmorgified glory, having delved into black magic to save her soul, only to have lost everything - and Harry will have to kill her.

*sighs* If only dreams came true...