1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Turnabout Storm by PWaaMLPfim - T - MLP:FiM/ Phoenix Wright

Discussion in 'My Little Pony' started by TMNTurtwig, Jan 23, 2012.

1. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I don't know if this count's, but...

Title: Turnabout Storm
    Author: PWaaMLPfim
    Rating: T
    Genre: Mystery/Adventure
    Fandom: MLP:FiM/ Phoenix Wright
    Pairings: None
    Summary: (None by the Author) Phoeinx Wright gets called to Equestria by Twilight Sparkle to defend Rainbow Dash in court.
    Link: Phoenix Wright / My Little Pony FIM - Turnabout Storm [Part 1/4]

This is actually pretty damn awesome. It's a video fiction done in the style of the Phoenix Wright games. Since it's a 4 part video series you can't just read it, but I think this is worth it. It has voice acting for every character and everyone has pretty solid characterization. I can't write very good of a review since, well, I've never seen anything quite like this before. Parts one and two are up now, about an hour and three quarters of video. Parts 3 and 4 likely won't be up for a while yet because of what they are.

Get's a 4.5 out of 5 from only because I don't know if it will be finished. Something like this is pretty time consuming and probably harder to put together than the average fanfiction. If it does get completed it's easily a 5/5.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can't say I've viewed a "video fiction" before. (Well, I suppose I have on second thought. Not like this though.)

My experience with Phoenix Wright is fairly limited (I've wanted to play the games for some time, haven't yet), but I could follow along easily enough. The story seems solid. It's a court drama, so there are a lot of twists and turns, and plenty of hooks for future twists as well.

The cast is fairly limited at the moment, but considering the resources the author is working with that's not a major complaint. If anything it's a point in the story's favor, as it might get too convoluted if there are too many characters.

The voices aren't that bad. They're close enough, at least, to convey the character. Well, the pony characters. Can't speak for Phoenix Wright or the Judge, at least in relation to their real voices.

What was in those photos of Rainbow Dash? I MUST KNOW.
    I'd give it a solid 4/5 at the moment, though I'd like to withhold full judgment until it's finished.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    On the updates/completion angle, going off the creator's comments on their youtube account, part 3 is well into production (scripts have went out to the voice actors/actresses as soon as part 2 was done). Being limited to four parts will hopefully keep things manageable too.

Overall, it's showing a good combination of humor and drama. Applebloom's testimony in particular was great.

Also, like a good crossover often will, it's made me rather curious to see about giving the Phoenix Wright games a try.

Also, Trixie must die, especially if my budding suspicions that she was somehow involved in the crime in order to frame Twilight's friends are on target.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This was updated today. (It's really damn long, so make sure you have a lot of free time before opening that link.)

The voice actors are pretty good, and there were a lot of references sprinkled around. The mystery remains compelling as well. However, I felt like it went off-track for a while in certain places. Unless they lead up to something later, I'd call that a fault.

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Kinda have to agree on the story going off-track; it seemed like Derpy, Rarity, and Applejack's scenes were really just there to have scenes for those three. Also, the whole "asking Pinkie Pie who attacked him in the forest" plot thread just got dropped, which is a touch aggravating.

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Part Number 4 has been out for a few days and it is just as awesome as the previous ones. Really loving this story, voice acting is is handled really well and especially Trixi's voice seems to be really, really close to the original one. can see that they put a lot of effort into this project.

There is going to be a fifth part, since the story hasn't wrapped up yet.

7. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

The final part is up and it was a rather enjoyable ending. Though at 2.5hours it tended to drag on in a few places. Overall an enjoyable piece and I hope this same group does more in the future.
    4/5