1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Twelve Dark Moons by Sophiax -M

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Ash, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Title: Twelve Dark Moons
    Author: Sophiax
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama
    DLP Category: Dark Arts/Romance?
    Pairing: Luna Lovegood/Lord Voldemort
    Summary: As a captive of Lord Voldemort, Luna Lovegood never thought she would live beyond the first 24 hours. Saved at first by her quick wit, Luna learns the depth of human evil…and becomes the Dark Lord's greatest weakness. Eventually LVLL.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3037156/1/Twelve_Dark_Moons

Warning: There are some graphic points to this story.

This story is not Harry-centric, I must warn you. While he is in the background, this is written from Luna's perspective, and the primary focus is Voldemort. It is set post-Hogwarts, in a world where the war was not finished quickly or easily. Luna is around 20, and is captured on a mission with the Order and taken prisoner.

I was at first wary of posting this for review here, but I truly think that this story merits the Library, and if everyone absolutely hates it, I still think it deserves the Recycling Bin. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's opinion on it.

My thoughts:
    I very nearly did not read past the summary on this one, but I am so glad that I did. It is a compelling, altogether realistic portrayal of Voldemort. Never before did I think that I would root for his victory, but this story accomplished that and more. Luna felt remarkably in character, and the side of the Dark Lord was not justified by the author in any way; it was still evil, and vile, and yet I cared about Voldemort's struggle.

The death of Nagini, and in particular, Luna's growing relationship and fondness of Nagini, made me cry. That was the point that I knew I had to recommend it here.

In short, this was a solid piece of writing, and I rate it a 4.7/5, rounded up to 5/5. I recommend it with all my heart.

Checked by Sorrows: 03/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well now, that is an interesting rec.

I'm interested to see the reaction it gets.

Will edit with review after i've read it.

3. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

I am very skeptical. Anything that has Voldemort falling in love with anyone is a recipe for fail.

I guess I'll try this out since it's on DLP.

4. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Quick note: Voldemort does not fall in love. The author handles his affection for Luna well, and you'll have to read the story to see how surprisingly believable and in character he is.

5. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I believe I read this before, although it's been a few years - and was surprised by how good it actually was. I guess it's possible there's a second complete, relatively lengthy Luna/Voldemort fic out there I could be confusing this with, but it's unlikely.

I'd suggest checking it out despite the fact that it's not Harry-centric, and pushing past the first few chapters. I'm sure some people will immediately rate it down due to the concept, but I urge people not to just 'LOL LV/ANYONE DO NOT WANT 1/5'. It's a refreshing take on Luna, and of surprising quality.

6. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

The story's predictable but very good. 4 stars.

Regarding predictability: Once something or someone (or even some concept) is introduced, you know something will happen. The story doesn't disappoint in that regard. You *know* what is going to happen, and its execution is very good. It would have been nice to have one red herring though...

7. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

I read this a few years ago and had all but forgotten about it, but your review braught back the memory. I re- read it today and it`s still a good story.

4/5

8. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I'm six chapters in and I must say the writing is amazing. Not gripping and it is getting predictable at times, but the characterizations are excellent.

That said, they're not canon. When Lord Voldemort allowed her to live it was a far stretch. That moment was the weakest the entire fic and broke my suspension. The author should have reworked that moment I believe.

Onto the writing style, great as it is, it gets boring at times. I've skimmed some sentences and not lost anything. There are some great one liners, though. "She waved at Nagini, curled in her spot by the fireplace, glad even for the familiarity of the murderous snake." There are a few spikes like that, that capture my interest again.

I think it comes down to a slow pacing and it being very character-driven, which is understandable in this instance, just not exactly to my tastes. However, the situation is great enough, and premise promising, where I will continue it.

tl:dr. Characters great, though, definitely not canon. Pacing is slow and focused a lot on character, with moments of brilliance. Great premise.

4/5 and deserves the library.

EDIT: A@ Eidolonic. Any idiot that rates a story like that on DLP goes against one of the principles of this forum. Intelligence. An intelligent poster will read the story before bashing the premise. Personally, I was skeptical as all hell before I clicked the link and was pleasantly surprised.

EDIT AGAIN: There are 26 LV/LL fics and most involve her being a prisoner. There are two that seem to have started the trend back in 06'. Not relevant obviously, but a fun little factoid.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
    Ash
  9. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Even though this fic goes against Potter Law I, I still gave it a read and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's predictability is the only thing weighing it down for me, but I'm a sucker for good characterization. 4/5

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's nothing in particular about this story that I can point to and say I disliked.

Having said that, my general impression when reading this was... boredom. I just didn't care about the characters or plot.

In short, while there's nothing wrong with it, for me there is nothing right with it either. I suppose I simply find the general premise rather "meh".

3/5