1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Twitter campaign for a black Spider-Man in reboot.

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Red Aviary, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And no, not talking about the black symbiote suit.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/mov...y-actor-to-be-first-non-white-spider-man.html

:eek:

No, no, no, a thousand times no.

Changing the races relatively minor, secondary characters like Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe and the new movies is one thing. Spider-Man is a cultural icon--probably the most recognizable comic book hero ever, besides maybe Superman. He's been around for forty years, and is always identified as being a "nerdy white kid". You don't fucking change that for some dumbfuck PC bullshit. Spider-Man is hallowed ground.

Because he is a white guy. It's like making Batman a Hispanic, Superman an Asian, or even making Luke Cage or Storm white. Could you imagine Harry Potter being played by an Arab or some other race in the movies?

... On the other hand, if this does go through, I'd rather have Danny Glover playing him than anyone else. It could mean they'd actually make Spider-Man a smart-ass, unlike the Sam Raimi movies where he spends every waking moment acting like he has Down's Syndrome.

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Why do we need a reboot?

That's the most important question. It's going to be a teen flick, too, which pisses me off.

3. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Meh. Spiderman sucked when he was a white guy, and I doubt he'd be any different as a black guy. It'd be racial unity through dick guzzling.

4. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Even for PC, this seems pretty retarded. Would it not be better for both the Spider-Man franchise and any cultural-diversity agenda to simply create an original black hero? Blade was pretty fucking awesome, as was the Book of Eli. There are better ways...

5. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I was not happy with the DC diversity reboot.
    Firestorm, The Atom, Blue Beetle, Batwomen were all given new "ethnic" make overs.

I don't see any of them lasting a decade before some writer or editor want's to " go back to the basics"

But what do I know?

I think a well made super hero movie pointing the spotlight on inner city problems could do well, But I think it would have to an indie movie, Some rich guy giving his film student kid a big graduation present or something.

P.S. Has anyone seen the clip for the firefly fan movie?

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

(Iztiak) I felt like punching the idiot who asked why he needed to be white in "this day and age"
    (Iztiak) It's because he IS white, fucker.

Iztiak said it better than I could. This whole 'campaign' is retarded.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Reminds me of this video

Gritty superhero reboot
    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1935552

They ruined the last movie far worse then anything I could of ever imagined. Stupid to reboot him, just change the fucking actor. Toby was horrible in everything but the first movie.

9. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

No. No no no no NO. The third Spider-Man movie was bad enough, do NOT reboot this and damage my childhood any further. There's no fucking reason for this, there never has been, and there never will be. There is NOWHERE in canon where this ever occurred, and the justifications are paltry excuses to pander to bullshit political correctness. Whoever suggested this idea should be shot in the testicles and drowned in liquidified cow.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

10. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Good work, Midknight. Made my day.

As far as 'black Spider-Man' goes....no.

It stinks of PC and pandering.

Part of the Spider-Man mythos and character makeup is that as others have said, he is a nerdy white guy. A black Spider-Man would throw off that dynamic in ways that would be strange at best.

SM 1 was fine, SM2 was...meh, and I never saw SM3. But I know they could have done Venom better.

In fact, the movies never got me going in the same way the FOX Kids Spider-Man cartoon from the 90's did.

Anyone remember that gem? That and the 90's X-Men animated series were kind of the high point for me, although I did like and own the Silver Surfer cartoon.

11. Midknight

Here's your black Spiderman
    [​IMG]

Been there, done that, he shot his web sideways like a gangsta. Can we do something to make the character interesting again? I think the whole series jumped the shark with the whole Clone storyarc, after they made the guy we were following for years turn out to be the clone, and had them switch places, I lost all interest in the books.

Eventually they switched back, fan outrage was epic.

They should of had him find the symbiont in Spidey 3, angst over it controlling him, and in 4 have him get rid of it and introduce Venom. The way they did it was fucked.

12. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Im sorry but fuck this shit a thousand times over this is beyond retarded and stinks of PC bullshit. I know others have said it but fuck it, it bears repeating, this is one of the things I cannot stand when they do is just up and randomly change races of characters and theres not even a reason for it other than to be PC in this case.

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Black Spider-Man? Why not? Now Flash will bull him not because Peter is geek, but because he is black. And fight between Spider-Man and Green Goblin will not be about young boy who discovers that "with great power comes great responsibility" against old man who forget what morality is. No, it will be about poor black boy who fight against rich white guy. I smell Oscar there.

As for reboot, I will give it a chance. Maybe we will see Spidey actioning as smart-ass instead of crying every 5 minutes. Seriously, SM1 and SM2 were good, but when I watched SM3 it was like Tobey was trying to set some kind record of crying scenes in one superhero movie.

14. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Oh come on, they could easily be even more PC.

Spiderwoman.

Wearing a diaphanous, red catsuit and shooting webs out of the tips of her breasts. (Known, otherwise, as nipples.)

On a more serious note, I can see where this is coming from. They must have run out of further ways to make a sequel crappier and must have thought, "reboot!" In order to differentiate it from all the other reboots being made, they're throwing in a couple of gimmicks, like black skin and some assorted 'ghetto' paraphernalia. Uncle Peter will probably die in a knife fight with a local drug load. Mary Jane be the fat assed African Princess in american street garb. His aunt will be Mammy.

15. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm confused, they're re-making Spiderman?

16. BadVoodoo

BadVoodoo Sixth Year

A reboot is the only way to fix this potentially awesome series as the director, writer and everyone involved in the 2nd and more so with the 3rd took a huge dump on one of the most popular comic characters in history and one of his coolest villains (Venom). Fuck them in their asses, I hope they die in a fire.

That said, Spiderman is white...the end.

If I gave enough of a shit to start some sort of petition, it'd be that studios other than Marvel making Marvel films had to stop forever.

Spiderman, X-men 3, Fantastic Four, FF4 Silver Surfer, Hulk, Electra, Daredevil...Need I go on?

Also, if you want a Black superhero, throw some support behind the Luke Cage movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401601/)

17. Silens Cursor

Not gonna lie, that sounds FUCKING AWESOME. As in, this is what SHOULD have been done with Spider-Girl in the Clone Saga.

Besides that point, I've got to wonder what the flying fuck the reason for this reboot actually is. The first three Spider-Man movies were massive money spinners (no pun intended) and although the third one wasn't great by any stretch, they at least had the series finish. Pulling a reboot (a fucking teen-focused reboot, if rumors are to be held true) is unbelievably stupid, considering the primary core of the true fan-base are young adult males between sixteen and twenty-five.

The only conceivable and good reason I could see for a Spider-Man 4 (yes, I said Spider-Man 4, not a reboot - that idea is still fucking retarded) is to prep Spidey for the Avengers. Give the story the same writers and directors that did Iron Man, the Lizard and Carnage as villains, and you've got the potential for a fucking great story. We know Tobey McGuire can act decently (he did in the first Spider-Man movie), Kirsten Dunst is at least tolerable as MJ, and whoever they got to play J.Jonah Jamison was fucking excellent. And for villains, I'd love to see Carnage done by Nicholas Cage or Jim Carrey.

But this reboot is the stupidest idea I've heard since BP claimed that there would be minimal damage to the Mississippi coastline from the oil spill.

---------- Post automerged at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Not gonna lie, that sounds FUCKING AWESOME. As in, this is what SHOULD have been done with Spider-Girl in the Clone Saga.

Besides that point, I've got to wonder what the flying fuck the reason for this reboot actually is. The first three Spider-Man movies were massive money spinners (no pun intended) and although the third one wasn't great by any stretch, they at least had the series finish. Pulling a reboot (a fucking teen-focused reboot, if rumors are to be held true) is unbelievably stupid, considering the primary core of the true fan-base are young adult males between sixteen and twenty-five.

The only conceivable and good reason I could see for a Spider-Man 4 (yes, I said Spider-Man 4, not a reboot - that idea is still fucking retarded) is to prep Spidey for the Avengers. Give the story the same writers and directors that did Iron Man, the Lizard and Carnage as villains, and you've got the potential for a fucking great story. We know Tobey McGuire can act decently (he did in the first Spider-Man movie), Kirsten Dunst is at least tolerable as MJ, and whoever they got to play J.Jonah Jamison was fucking excellent. And for villains, I'd love to see Carnage done by Nicholas Cage or Jim Carrey.

But this reboot is the stupidest idea I've heard since BP claimed that there would be minimal damage to the Mississippi coastline from the oil spill.

18. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Nicholas Cage? In Marvel? Again?

No, Motherfucker couldn't act his way out of his spandex.

19. Silens Cursor

You're referring to Ghost Rider, a character that Nicholas Cage was never suited for. Cage is best when he's acting characters that are borderline insane, like Big Daddy in Kick-Ass and the titular character in Bad Lieutenant. If he plays Carnage anywhere CLOSE to canon (that is, insane serial killer), I think he'd be excellent in the role.

20. Midknight