1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

UK General Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Troy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    I can't believe no-one has included Mr Fishfinger yet! [​IMG]

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Be careful about Joke candidates...

The USA made that mistake and look where we are now...

3. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

As someone who's had to live with these guys, they're even worse than you'll find out on a quick google. Their last two leaders have been integrally involved in corruption schemes with public money. They refuse to condemn loyalist paramilitaries. Thoroughly deny climate change and any sort of forward thinking. They're essentially hardline religious fundamentalists. They oppose gay rights, abortion, evolution and all those other sensible issues.

They're schizophrenic on Brexit, having campaigned heavily for it on a general keep those dirty foreigners out basis, then realising that it's pretty terrible for all of their constituents. I think they'll try ensure that there's no hard border with Ireland, but I wouldn't count on them having any other moderating influence.

This article is only partially satirical.

4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Auror

They've had a drop of 13%. Self inflicted really, they bled sufficiently to labour and the libdems because they went too hard on the second referendum shit and alienated their broader left wing support. Meanwhile the unionist vote coalesced.
    I tactically voted for them this time around, but it had little effect.

5. blob

blob Fourth Year

Hoo boy, feels good. Could be better, but I'll take what I can get. So even with DUP (who?) they've got a majority of... 5 people? Good fucking job, May.

I am less opposed to May staying on for now than I thought I'd be. She most likely won't be able to push through most of the insane crazy shit that "as a vicar's daughter" she'd like, and with her at the helm instead of BoJo the Tories will continue to go down in polls over time. BoJo himself is an utterly self-serving buffoon, but compared to May he's oozing charisma and character.

Such 'coalition' lasting 5 years seems... unlikely, especially with the shadow of Brexit in the background. I could see Tories getting BoJo at the helm, then trying again in a few months in another election. I have completely no idea how that would shake out; the ball would be almost entirely in Tories' court (do they actually make an honest attempt at pretending to give a shit about the voters? How does the beginning of Brexit talks look like? etc.), but everyone else would have plenty of ammunition to use against them as well.

It's really difficult to balance my loathing of May and dislike of Tories in general, but I'm happy with this dilemma.

Anyone knows what's up with DUP as part of the 'strong and stable' coalition with regards to EVEL and the fact that the devolved government in NI might not even form, in which case after June 29th it will be London that calls the shots?

What a clusterfuck. A well deserved one, but a clusterfuck nonetheless.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  6. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone who knows anything about them should recognise the extreme hypocrisy of the Tories attacking Corbyn's IRA sympathies, only then to jump in bed with the DUP.

7. vlad

vlad Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    May won't last anywhere near five years.

At best, I'd say it's 50/50 she keeps the job past next month's terror attack.

Happy with Scotland: I have no qualms with Scottish independence but it's shit or get off the pot. As it's clearly not in the cards, blustering for perpetual referendums is idiotic and a return to "national" politics is overall a good thing for the UK, left and right.

And y'all are missing big picture regarding DUP. Who cares what there position is, the idea that bog-trotting mick potatoheads are going to save a government - any government- is a travesty. Anglos everywhere on suicide watch. London has fallen to the eternal paddy. #CromwellDidNothingWrong

8. fire

fire High Inquisitor

Always nice to be governed by the religious fundamentalist, political wing of Ulster unionist terrorism.

Fucking tory hypocrisy - they rightly pointed out the troubling sympathy Corbyn had for physical force Irish republicanism, and now they turn around to give us actual government by terrorists.

9. Meerkats

Meerkats High Inquisitor

Coalition of Chaos with terrorist sympathisers! The Tories were right all along.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yes. There's a clear difference between sympathising with terrorists and actual terrorists, silly. Also, look at that squirrel! Isn't it cute?

[​IMG]

What should be the plan re: Brexit now is some sort of broad consensus that the majority of most parties in parliament can somehow stomach, and yes, this means working the SNP, and telling Tory wannabe-UKIPpers to go screw themselves and pushing them so far to the back of the bench they're actually sitting in the Thames. That would be most lovely. It's also not going to happen.

11. blob

blob Fourth Year

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous this entire situation seems. I've read about DUP and their stances on mostly everything is just cartoonishly bad, like creationism, climate science is a hoax, abortion is premediated murder, all homosexuals are pure evil (and so is the Pope, apparently?) etc. It's like they took every popular bad idea of contemporary politics and support it, especially if Sinn Fein is against. It's a bit like Republicans on steroids, but this shit doesn't fly well in Europe in general. And now they basically hold a gun to the Tories' heads and got a golden ticket to issue any demands they want. There's also the matter that NI is relatively peaceful now because they've been mostly left to their own devices, so if DUP gets their way on something particularly egregious we might see actual combat there in the future. The fact that DUP will be abhorrent to plenty of centrist voters is bad news for Labor in the future, and all the talk of Corbyn being a terrorist sympathizer kind of falls flat when they are in alliance with terrorists themselves. DUP itself was little known in UK outside of NI, and the spotlight focused on them doesn't mean anything good.

And what do they get for it? A tiny majority which has little chance to pass anything on even slightly contentious issues. It's difficult to set a direction for the party when lots of people hate you, so May is neck deep in shit. Ruth Davidson is responsible for quite a few Tory seats in Scotland that were borderline unwinnabke for them, and the deal with DUP is a massive slap to the face for her; she tweeted a link to a same-sex marriage lecture she gave in the past in response to the news about their new alliance. Anna Soubry, one of the senior remainer MPs trash talked May on TV after barely holding onto her seat. Ken Clarke, the longest serving MP isn't all that happy either about Tory mandate and performance. Already there were Tories attacking her on TV, so the "Brexit Mandate" is all but dead and buried. Turns out that her fellow MPs aren't very happy with May leading such an abysmal campaign and seeing some of their friends no longer elected. Sure, Maybot isn't personally responsible for ALL of it, but she's a concenient target that caused the lion's share of failure. It's difficult to argue that Cameron, for all bis failure with Brexit would lead a campaign that lost a lead of 20%. Hell, you could take any random Tory that was slightly charismatic and they would most likely do far better than her. Plenty of infighting to be seen there soon.

Aside from Brexit, there's also the myriad of 'daily' issues, be it education, environment, NHS and the like. UK with their shitty FPTP system seems to rely on one party winning it all and doing whatever they want, and coalitions seem somewhat uncommon. But now they cannot rule by themselves, and every single issue, big or small, they will need the support of their own bible belt on steroids. DUP is hardly one for compromise, though, and they are all but certain to have plenty of 'red line' issues that most of the UK supports. Suppose that Labor introduces legislation that is abhorrent to them, but one that isn't necessarily opposed by UK as a whole, like legalizing abortion or same-sex marriage in NI (which actually passed, but NI sort of vetoed it). Would every single one Tory be whipped to vote against it, when both are fairly popular in NI and UK and would normally pass in Westminster?

If they had five years, they could push unpopular reforms significantly easier. Most people forget fairly quickly, and aside from a few key issues (like if the entire NHS disintegrated) they could do almost anything and few people wojld remember the bad by the time the next election rolled around, especially with Brexit. But now, every deciaion thay make can bite them in the ass weeks from now. Kind of problematic for the party that's so reliant on support by some of the worst rags of journalism on Earth.

The entire situation is incredibly chaotic and I don't see any reasonable way out of it for the Tories. It would be a pretty bad situation in a normal election, but with the two-year Brexit deadline countdown starting in less than two weeks it's anything but. I can't see such a 'coalition' lasting till the end of the year, so you'll most likely get another general election in the middle of Brexit negotiations, which is just about the last thing you want.

Going out drinking as promised, so sorry if there are any typos and the like, no time to re-read what I wrote.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  12. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Kensington flipped Labour. I mean, it's never going to be held come the next election, but still, that's one of the richest constituencies in the country, and it went Labour by 20 votes.

This election has been utter madness from start to finish, except somehow the recipient of said madness has been flipped between then and now.

13. Innomine

Innomine Auror Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I found this article interesting.

14. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I saw somethings somewhat interesting regarding Northern Ireland. For those who don't know anything about Northern Ireland politics, there was a Sinn Fein and DUP coalition government back in January that collapsed and prompted a snap election which lead to no clear majority. The NI government has until 26th of June to figure out some form of coalition and until such time that they figure something out, the UK government is mediating.

But now, the DUP is looking to be part of the UK government (though is this official or just a loose agreement?)

Now the Good Friday Agreement states that the UK should not take sides on matters regarding NI, either the Unionist side or the Nationalist side.

The direct quote from the agreement.

Obviously, forming a coalition government with the DUP is taking a side and is against the GFA. This interview goes into it a little.

15. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. fire

fire High Inquisitor

To sum up: Theresa May is going to put something incomparably valuable (the GFA) at risk, so as to push through a policy (Brexit) which she doesn't even believe in, and all because she wants something (power) which she knows neither how to use, nor what to use it for.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Except she can't push anything, much less Brexit, through with a two vote majority in the Commons. Not if she has to get both DUP and her Scottish MPs to vote for it.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Even better! The English Votes for English Laws Bill that was passed in 2015 means the DUP and Scottish Tories can't actually vote on bills that affect just England.

19. ElMarquis

ElMarquis First Year

High Score:
    I have a personal White Paper on how to rebuild and restructure the Royal Navy. I'm sure nobody will ever read it, but it would seem that nobody gives a flying fuck about defence at the moment.

May could have turned these terror attacks to her advantage, Churchill had 'Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears', 'This was their Finest Hour', 'Never was so much owed, by so many, to so few'. May could have made a speech, something with a defiant backbone and some actual meat to it. Not 'Enough is Enough', which frankly was pathetic. Something like 'We stand in the shadow of terror'. But her failure to do even so much as jamming her head up her own arse condemned her. A terror attack in the near future could be to her advantage if not too many people are killed and the terrorists are slaughtered en-mass by the British Army who she has put onto the streets of Britain's cities.

ElMarquis.

P.S: Does Theresa May look, to any of you, like an incipiently elderly Bellatrix Lestrange, just with short hair and managing to hide her derangement?

20. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's unlikely to really matter, but their majority is effectively 9 votes because the 7 Sinn Fein MPs never take their seats.