1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

UK's Investigatory Powers Act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sesc, May 10, 2017.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Since Trump is being Trump and that's getting boring, let's discuss what May will be able to do, without a pesky European Court, and a quadrillion seats majority for the next hundred years.

The Investigatory Powers Act is already law, but in parts curbed by rulings of the ECJ (bulk data collection), and other challenges are pending -- but obviously irrelevant, if the ECJ is no longer recognised. As there are, for instance:
    • Hacking of computers, networks, mobile devices, servers, and just about everything under the sun. (Though that was a regular occurrence before, simply without any legal cover.)
    • Storing just about all records for 12 months -- who, where, what, when.
    • And the entire stuff in real-time as well.

Last week, there were further clarifications:

Which, aside from the ability to abuse it, is every Russian hacker's dream come true -- encryption that is intentionally weakened, for everyone, everywhere.

Making encryption illegal is my personal 21st century equivalent of burning books. So ... good luck, folks?

2. Download

Download Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I can't agree more with that.

I honestly can't fathom why politicians think this is a good idea. Have they asked any computer experts? I also can't believe even the Security Service or GCHQ thinks this is a good idea give how much it would compromise nearly all cyber-security in the UK.

3. Invictus

Invictus Prisoner

Yeah. This is fucking precious. This massive attack just showed why even the best agencies in the world having a backdoor to citizens private electronics is a disaster waiting to happen. Government agencies are not omniscient nor should it aim to be, and that's fine. This isn't 1984. This disaster is exactly the kind of thing g that show why that whole FBI-Apple circus was a sham.

The FBI had no idea what they were doing and the consequences of what they were asking, but they kept plowing on, defending the tolling of fundament rights just to save them a little time.