1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Unforgiven by Grinning Lizard - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Unforgiven
    Author: Grinning Lizard
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: None yet
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 145,911
    Updated: November 1, 2010
    Published: April 23, 2007

Summary: Harry Potter... different. Not an original idea but an original story. AU small change in time makes Harry run from the Dursleys' household. He turns up at Hogwarts a few years later, having survived alone. No set ships no slash. M for Language & Violence

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3504831/1/

Street-rat!Harry, but without the annoying accent and angst and fluffyness. Quite realistic too with how harry would react to the magical world, and he's made an interesting wizarding underground as a backdrop.

Checked by Minion, January 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Holy crap you're back! Good to see you again.

3. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

I think this story might be in the library already.

It's strange, it has many many cliches that usually drive me crazy, but something about the writing makes it enjoyable anyway. We'll see if it stays good once it becomes more Hogwarts-centric.

ETA: The story is not in the library, I had been following it on IP82's C2 and got confused. I remain ambivalent as to whether it will become library worthy.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  4. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Nice read, give it a try.

5. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

You just made Surarrin cream his pants.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I've been following this one for a while. At times it's a bit confusing and too introspective, but the payoff is definitely worth the hassle of plowing through the angsty parts.

7. Klael

Well, it's alright, though the ninja-harry angle is a bit overdone--i'm fairly impressed that the author hasnt had the sword actually be used yet. The so-called cliches aren't that bad, and they're done in newer, more interesting ways. 4/5

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I... liked it. There wasn't a single part I found wrong with it, other than the sometimes confusing fight scenes. The one in the dentists office had me double back to make sure what the fuck was happening. If he worked on that one aspect, it would be perfect.

5/5 for me.

9. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

First chapter is total crap, rush and hard to make sense of. The rest of the story is really enjoyable.

4/5

10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The comments already made reflect my own opinions pretty well; I kept with the story at first due to sheer curiosity, as it was a bit annoying. Even the massive fight in the dark frustrated me a bit, as it just seemed a tad cliched. Once Harry got into the damn Wizarding World, the story really picked up. Now I actually want to find out what happens next.

4/5

-J

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Not bad so far, Harry still landing in Gryffindor and becoming friends with Ron and Hermione is a bit of a negative. I like my AU's to deviate as much from canon as possible.

4/5

12. malaga

malaga Auror

Yeah, that does detract a bit from the story. I prefer politics to fighting anyway, so I don't mind the confusion there. It wins brownie points with me anyway, just for addressing where Harry gets his cigarettes. Every Badass!Harry fic has him smoking at Hogwarts, but noone says where he gets them.

I just realised what a tangent I went off on, so I'll stop now. 3.5/5

13. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

This story is the weirdest ones I'ver read. It wasn't really a good story though. It's mainly an average story in some aspects. 3/5 for me on this one.

Richard.

14. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There have been a couple of things which have bothered me about this story. The smoking angle mostly. I find that the aspect of 'smoking harry' seems to be cloesly related to 'stupid harry.'

There are many reasons not to smoke, first amongst them being you smell and that's another way that you can be detected. I'm mostly against smoking for tactical reasons in this story. (reliance on an external stimuli).

Other then that the martial arts was a bit odd but done well enough. I wouldn't have minded Harry being in a different house.

Overall 4/5 for me.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It's even more stupid when you consider that it's an expensive habit and Harry was so poor he had to conjure his own food and steal to get by. He can't buy food or clothes but he can buy smokes. :chainsaw:

Otherwise, the story isn't too bad. Even cliches like the magic trunk are done from a fresh new perspective and don't detract from the story (unless you're one of those people who are against cliches because they are cliches, regardless of implementation). I like the way his 'art' is handled too.

16. Le

Le Fourth Year

I really liked it. I thought that the cliches were used in ways that were somewhat original. I also thought that the style of writing was very well suited to the plot. 5/5

17. Klael

Smoking didn't really come into the picture until he was used to being in the streets, did it?

Another thing, though: Why doesnt he just conjure cigarettes?

18. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I enjoy it, though it does piss me off that he smokes. I'll give it a 4/5, because I think it belongs in the library, but it isn't totally great.

Also, it as the first few letters as Unsung Hero, this raise my hopes when I get an email alert, only to have them come crashing down.

19. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

I really liked it. Everything was perfect and I can't wait for an update, it belongs in library, no doubt about that.
    4.5/5

20. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Updated.

Some great, hectically written fight scenes in chapter 23.