1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unique fanfics?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Xakoro, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Xakoro

Xakoro First Year

Looking for fanfiction with plots and themes that are more or less unique. Preferably HP.
    e.g. The Golden Age -a depressing, ambiguous ending. Emperor- chronicles of a dictatorship in the making. Chunin exam day- fuck if I know. The Sniper- mercenary intrigue.

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

... You don't really seem to have any specifications. I mean, "unique" means nothing.
    Partially Kissed Hero is unique in that it's one of the longest pieces of crap on FFN, but you don't exactly want to read that, do you?

Specify things you want to see in a fic.

3. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Definitely need more specifics. Methods is certainly unique but we all know how good (bad) it is.

Ultimately there is almost nothing that is unique in HP fanfiction anymore. There is just too much of it. Although if you want some truly unique stuff look in the WTF fics thread. (Read at your own risk)

4. Xakoro

Xakoro First Year

I actually read PKH to chapter 52. It was bizarre, but meh. I preferred skysaber's work. When I say unique, it's kind of difficult to quantify. Something that has a different tone to 90% of fanfiction, regardless of quality. Which is why I'd read Chunin Exam Day, but not Time Braid.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The Phoenix and the Serpent

Probably abandoned, sadly, but a unique take on the war with Voldemort. In fact, the entire story is unique, as far as I am concerned. It's one of a kind. Includes the longest trip by foot through Britain ever, Flamel with a bad-ass gun, and the most heart-wrenching back-story that is more detailed than other people's actual stories.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, that's really fucking vague.

Ah, fuck it.

The Apprentice by Deborah Peters - not exactly unique, there are other Time-Travel!Snape fics, but this is the only good one.

Phantom Limb by rbackwards - definitely fics the "unique" label. I can't say anything that isn't a spoiler, so go read it. Give it a chapter or two to see if you like it.

Remus Lupin, PI

Circular Reasoning

Thou Shalt Not Suffer

eh... I feel like I'm listing library fics with a smattering of weirdness.

7. Xakoro

Xakoro First Year

Skimmed the first chapter.
    Faux history Infodump. Endless internal monologues. X, legendary something of Y (not even any proper theme buildup).
    Meh.
    Read the apprentice, RL PI, and couldn't get into thou shalt not suffer. Will check the other two.
    Edit- Phantom Limb is bookmarked, CR starts with authors notes about disclaimers and characterization. Ignored.
    Edit (#2). CR seems interesting, but my hopes are low due to 50+ fics that start out like it and become boring!badass!harry after 10,000 words or so.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  8. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty big mistake to skip out on Circular Reasoning just because of that. It definitely deserves at least a skimming to see if its to your tastes before you X it from your list.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

My story? Dude, it's 340k words long, and only the first plot arch is over. Of course it's not something you can read as a filler between two chapters of your daily FF.net fix. That's like trying to read War and Peace in your lunch break.

This story is exactly what you asked for - unique. If you haven't got the patience to read and the mindset to enjoy different-than-usual stories, then wtf are you wasting forum space with this thread for?

Edit:
    Can someone please ban the retard?

10. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I wanted to mentioned this one too. Strange that this has never influenced anybody. Unique imagination outside the typical HP plot corset, brilliant character work and I couldn't name any story in the HP realm which has such touching emotional drama aspects.

P.S. Sanction has easily the talent to make it professional.

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never read The Phoenix and the Serpent, but I'll give it a go. As for CR, it's personally my favorite story, and while a few DLP members don't like it, it's generally considered a classic. Swim's prose is amazing, ignoring the great characterizations and interesting plot.

12. thebrute7

Dagger and Rose by Perspicacity was pretty unique. Not to mention well-written.
    Wastelands of Time by Jon, but everyone has read or should have read that one.
    Dare I mention Parting the Continents by Big D? I probably shouldn't. Read at risk of your immortal soul.
    Masters of Death or Something Grim This Way Comes by Ruskbyte certainly fall under unique...

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I won't throw my vote in for Circular Reasoning, but I will throw it in for Song of the Trees and Gentlemen Usher of the Scarlet Rod, probably the two most underrated stories on this website, and both pretty damn unique in the fandom.

14. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I dislike you, you ungrateful bastard. I highly regret clicking on this thread.

Nae
  15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:

16. thebrute7

17. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Lol, too fucking vague. This is certainly unique, OP.

On a more serious note, Redemption by silentclock is one of my favourite fics, a oneshot that explores Voldemort's character. Another great oneshot is Across the Universe by mira mirth. And there's Andromalius' These Dark Days of Autumn Rain, which is pretty awesome.

There's probably more that I've forgotten, but I'm already exercising my laziness by procrastinating on continuing a half-finished Death of a Salesman essay due in for tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  18. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

You fucking piece of shit. In one of the stupidest 'searching for's I've ever seen, you asked people to rec you decent fic. Then you shit on it, and them, when you glance at it and close, and come back in to report so.

You want decent fic? Try browsing the easily navigable library and reviews, formulating a decipherable 'searching for', or actually reading what's recommended to you despite the retardation you've exhibited.

Not what you're looking for? That's because you haven't told us what you're looking for :sherlock:

Fucking arrogant students.

19. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Try :office you don't get more unique than that. :p:nyan::nyan:

20. thebrute7

You sir, are a terrible person for mentioning that. Worse than me for mentioning Parting the Continents...