1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unspeakables, the Department of Mysteries, and Magical Research

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Gene, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Gene

Gene Third Year

I've scanned the first 15 or so pages of threads in this subforum, and haven't found anything on these topics. I figure that going beyond that might be worthwhile, but there may perhaps be new stories since...oh, 2013, and as such it might be worth starting a new thread.

I was wondering if someone would be willing to recommend some good stories involving whatever is going on in the ministry's basement. I don't particularly care if Harry is an unspeakable, a drooling idiot, or a magnificent deity: I just want to read fun stories about magical research and inventions.

I don't particularly mind crossovers, but if the word "harem" or "godlike" appears in the summary, I'd like it if the story wasn't added to whatever pile of recommendations I happen to receive.

2. Alpaca Queen

Alpaca Queen Fourth Year

The only recent story which comes to mind is Whiskey Time Travel, which does involve Unspeakables playing a big role, but in this fic they're closer to a "men in black" stereotype than a researcher stereotype. Still, if you're looking for a decent time-waster (author's own words) involving that sort of thing, it might be worth a read.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

4. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

If you want magical research, check Arithmancer. Hermione-centric fic where Hermione is a prodigy in Arithmancy who is actually researches things and creates new spells, not just using book knowledge.

5. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, Arithmancer: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10070079/1/The-Arithmancer
    might match your interests - though I skimmed it and didn't like it.

Most fics with a certain focus on the Department of Mysteries actually describe it as some kind of magical secret service rather than a research facility, just because of its secretiveness.

EDIT:

Stunning Shifts: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7534131/1/Stunning-Shifts
    also has a minor focus on magical research.

Summary: During a publicity stunt, Harry and 5 others are sent to another world where a well timed Stupefy made all the difference. As Harry looks for his peers and a way home, another Harry investigates the odd arrival of his doppelganger. (Canon, EWE, dimension travel, AU)

Apparently this worlds Harry, his father (?), and also still living Selene Potter are working either for the DOM or other research facilities. The story isn't that brilliant though, and up to now it doesn't play that much of a role.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  6. Gene

Gene Third Year

I'll check Arithmancer out, though "Character X is a prodigy" isn't the most reassuring of starts. Perhaps I'll skim through to the tech-heavy parts if the character work is too off-putting. I'm, ah, also not a huge fan of non-Harry viewpoint characters, so that's another thing to look out for.

As for the other thing: yeah, I see that. I can't figure out why the magical equivalent of the CIA would have a time room, mind you, but it's easier (not to mention far more accessible and, probably, more widely entertaining) to write a story about magical secret agents than it is to write one about magical labwork.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  7. Blither

Blither Disappeared

High Score:
    I second this, it's both relatively short and amazingly well written.

8. Freed

Freed Squib

It's been a long time since I read this. Nothing about the DoM but I think it is more or less what you're looking for with regards to magical research.

Harry Potter and the Golden Needle
    By: xenocidender Harry has an idea of how to break the rules of Transfiguration, and it actually might work. Maybe. Plenty of other things happen too. No slash and no pairings as yet.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Sci-Fi/Drama - Harry P., S. Vector - Chapters: 20 - Words: 97,849 - Reviews: 567 - Favs: 1,662 - Follows: 2,106 - Updated: Feb 6, 2010 - Published: Jun 21, 2008 - id: 4340385

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  9. Gene

Gene Third Year

It's worth a shot, at least. Thanks! (That also goes to everyone who's suggested anything.)

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a pretty good (for its time) Harry/Tonk fic that features the "Secret Service" type DoM out there. Let me have a look for it.

---------- Post automerged at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

It was actually what got me into Honks.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Summer of Changes is what its called. I'm not sure how well it has aged, it's been a while since I've read it last.

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It has not aged well at all... I do not recommend it

13. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Summer of Changes was pretty awesome when I first read it but I don't want to reread least I tarnish the good memories.

14. Outsider

Outsider Banned

Kaliedoscope of Magic.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

@Outsider ... you bumped three year old thread to misspell a story's title and not linking it.

But that aside, you feel quite fine?