1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unsung Hero by MeghanReviews - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

Bah. Another Harry is the neglected bitch twin BWL.
    I mean surely there is another way to go about this?

I've been reading "birth of the pheonix", where Harry actually has a terminal disease, but staves it off for a while with the pheonix animagus.. trying to hold on long enough to help his twin pwn voldemort.. that's a strong plot right there... despite being another semi-neglected twin (due to terminal illness), and what the!? it's character bashing free! (except james - he's an ass as usual in this twin-fic genre).
    back on track...
    • snake-lord!harry maintained my interest for a bit - I appreciate Basilisk Animagus, because it is so not half-assed.
    • The whole Horcrux-mind-raping-Hermione bit was just too drawn out and I can't help but feel the author could have tried for a different plot device..still it was somewhat original.
    • Decent sibling rivalry, though it could have used less "Twin is Jame's Bitch" throughout it all.
    • Non-pussy death eaters is always a plus...
    • imo, and only imo, I think this particular Harry would have been better in Slytherin then Ravenclaw as far as character type goes.
    Still it's better then most twin-fics i've read, so 3.5/5

2. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

Fic sounds interesting. Link?

Inb4necrofiesta

3. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

4. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

...its knock of.

The /names/ the same. >.<

5. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

I didn't really like this. The cliche of Ignored!Twin!Harry has been cropping up every once in a while and I find I can't enjoy a fair number of twin fics for this reason. In addition, this particular incarnation has Harry being ignored to the point of absurdity, at least I thought so. 0.5/5 and that only because the author made him fairly capable instead of being a total milquetoast.

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I never liked this story, plus it was Herman/Harry pairing. He's pretty much everyone's bitch. I'd give it a 2 at the most. If he went dark or had a backbone, and ditched the beaver, that'd be nice.

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I skimmed the reviews of the sequel, and someone mentioned it was a redo fic of a fic. Is that true? If it means all the more... stupid developments are erased, I might start following it.

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The first one was decent when it was started but that was a couple years ago wasnt it?

I quit near the end I just couldnt take the H/Hr bs anymore.

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Squib

It seems like most Twin!Harry stories become Ignored!Twin!Harry stories. I hate the concept of Harry having a twin brother, because I feel people take to many liberties with it. The same old everyone hates Harry, yet Harry still manages to get the girl. Also how Harry does all this amazing stuff and then acts pissy when nobody recognizes him for it. THEN TELL SOMEONE YOU DID IT!

Also, it seems like the twin is always evil towards Harry. Seriously, siblings are mean to each other, but not THAT mean. The way Lily and James have always been described makes them seem like loving and caring people, and yet they ignore Harry for the other twin? :confused:

That's my rant. Take it how you will.

10. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

The Story was depressing, but thats what it was trying to portray. Its not a comedy, its an angst. I still enjoyed this story.

11. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I apologize for the necro, but felt like spewing some vitriol all over this fic. If you haven't read it yet, DO NOT START. You'll be sucked in by competent writing and a decent start, only to find yourself bound and raped by the author at the end.

This is the only fic I've ever read (to completion) that I aggressively hate. And the fucking thing has over 6,000 reviews. The ending is the most pathetic cop-out I've ever seen in fiction, fan or otherwise. The author clearly wanted to continue receiving adulation for a fic that left the rails a long time ago, so she decided to murder the main character and start over with a time-travel sequel. I cannot describe how angry that ending made me; hours and hours of reading, much of it decent, only to get the middle finger from an author who has no respect for her readers.

DO. NOT. READ. Burn with fire, but only after urinating on it.

12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Necroposting doesn't apply to the Library, especially when denouncing garbage like this tale.

Every word you said about this story was true--Unsung Hero has, without doubt, the most disappointing ending in all of Harry Potter fanfiction (even worse than that one where muggleborn!alias Harry wins, then becomes ultra-emo and is magically enslaved to Draco and Snape). I followed this story when it was being written and I have to think that the betrayal of the ending was worse when you had to wait for each installment.

In one chapter, the story went from being listed among my favorites (the only "twin who lived" tale I've ever been remotely interested in) to being deleted from my list of "stories that at least made me go 'meh.'"

If I could throw blood on this story and shout it down for its injustice to sensibility, I would. If I could go back in time and catch this story early enough in gestation to have it aborted, I would. It sets the bar for epic suckitude.

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

She writes Twilight fanfiction now. Pretty much sums everything about her writing up.

14. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Why on earth hasn't this been deleted already? its under 3 stars, hardly rescuable.

15. Portus

Portus Heir

I was in the same boat, waiting for each chapter and wondering what was going to happen. I came upon the story when it was about half finished, and was hooked immediately, regardless of the absurd neglectful!Potters premise. I had a "WTF?" moment when Harry was adopted by Flitwick, which should have been my clue that things were swirling the bowl, but I soldiered on, until I saw a comment on how the last chapter played out. I was so pissed when I found out it was true.

Part of me always thought that I was being stupid, getting angry that a fic didn't end the way I wanted. After all, if I know how a story is going to play out, why bother reading it? But I realized that's completely different from devoting time to a story, then having the good guy lose everything and the asshole brother come out smelling like a rose. I had spent hour upon hour reading that story, and to have it end that way was a metaphorical poke in the eye from the author. I vowed I wouldn't even sample the sequel, and I feel better now, hearing that she's moved on to Twilight, where I will never encounter her work again.

16. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Just when I had almost forgotten this ... thing, you guys just had to go and bring it back to the front page. :(

17. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I got on the bandwagon for this story back in its early stages, when it was actually good. There were a decent number of chapters, but it was still very much in its beginnings. I used to be excited when seeing an alert for this, like how I am now for "The Lie I've Lived" or "The Denarian Lord" or "The Prince of the Dark Kingdom." But it just got weirder and weirder, and turned into pure shit. Ugh. This is the worst type of story; you see something that has potential, and it turns into trash while you watch.

18. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

We should have guessed earlier.

And yes, this fic is pathetic.

19. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I don't think it had any potential even when it started. My conclusion is this: Harry was a pussy in the story. That turned me off right from the beginning, and I quit reading it as soon as I saw that it was going to be a Hermione/Harry story. No matter what people say about "don't judge it by the pairing", well, I do because in all honesty, I find Hermione ugly in every aspect of her character, including looks wise. A Harry/Hermione pairing just doesn't work unless her personality isn't Canon!Hermione, and completely change her personality to something else, but even then I'll still find it hard to portray her with any personality other than she's a bully in some ways.

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Uh, no. Judging a story on the pairing alone automatically diminishes your argument. Your preferences =/= valid critique. I fully recognize that there are slash stories out there that are probably good, despite it not being my cup of tea.

On topic: I still think the original author died, and one of her friends of lesser talent took it over.