1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Norgammon

Norgammon Squib

I quite liked it. Not as much as I hoped from hearing other's seeing it, but very much worth the time/money.

2. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

From all upcoming superhero films this is my second most awaited after Infinity War. There is a lot of potential in it to not only be good, but stand out from the others and it appears that Marvel isn't wasting it.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was that Storm I saw at 1:25?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not unless Marvel have both managed to get permission to use her back from Fox and kept it secret throughout filming, no.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Could be another Quicksilver/SW situation though, where they just disregard xmen background.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Possibly, although I think that was only possible due to their long association with the Avengers. Either way, if Storm was going to be in it, I'd have thought we'd have heard something about it by now.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

That's the Black Panther's mother Ramonda.

9. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Gotta say I'm really hyped for this movie ! The cast, the mix of traditional african culture and high-tech, the possible storyline ("hard for a good man to be king"). Everything looks promising.

And damn the MCU is really something. Just five years ago Marvel managed to do what we thought was impossible with the Avengers. Then we got unlikely heroes like Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Strange ! It's quite the feat that they can be so respectful of their source material and translate it so well on screen.

10. ElMarquis

ElMarquis First Year

High Score:
    I am inherently suspicious of anything involving katanas/katanaripoffs/ninjato/ninjatoripoffs.

More interested in seeing the rather more... 'interesting' Wonder Woman. Plus there's a scene in it involving a locomotive I know pretty well, SECR C-Class 592.

Clip from filming.

ElMarquis.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Don't know why critics are shitting all over The Mummy. Like... it wasn't good per se, but it wasn't awful either.

The biggest problem I thought was that it wasn't scary. At all. Not even the 'make you jump' moments were effective because you always knew they were coming.

Also, Sofia Boutella did a lot of sexy pouting. Not that I'm really against an incredibly good-looking woman sexily pouting, but it felt a little out of place, especially in parts when she was supposed to be menacing.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seconded. Not great, but certainly enjoyable.

13. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Black Panther looks exciting. And the soundtrack in the trailer was excellent. I'm pretty hyped.

14. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I also saw The Mummy, and thought it was good. Not great, but solid enough for what it was. In terms of other cinematic universe films, I thought it was better than any of the DCEU movies other than Wonder Woman, and on par with some of middling Marvel movies--not better than Guardians or Avengers, but certainly on par with Ant Man or Doctor Strange or Iron Man 2.

There were occasional tonal issues where it tried to add levity to scenes that shouldn't have had it. I'm thinking the "wrong bathroom" joke, and the "hit her! Kick her arse!" when he confronts her in front of the wrecked ambulance. But those weren't too bad on the whole.

Casting is great. He's a psycho in real life, but I'll watch anything that Tom Cruise is in. Sofia Boutella was good too, and I like Jake Johnson. Russell Crowe I'm less certain of -- he was fine in small doses, but I hope they're not looking to make a full-length Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movie.

All in all, not perfect, but certainly watchable. Despite its poor showing in America, foreign audiences apparently loved it (one of the first times I'm glad that Hollywood pays so much attention to China), so I'd guess Universal's "Dark Universe" thing is still going ahead.

15. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Israeli women. They're killer in so many ways. That's what that accent is, by the way.

Wonder Woman was 7/10 for me. It was great pretty much up until the last twenty minutes or so, as people said. Crucially, it was far, far better than either Man of Steel or BvS. The acting was better by all players, especially Gadot and Pine, the cinematography was better, and the plot was better. This actually makes the DC movies relevant, and now I may actually go see them in the future. Frankly, the only reason I went to see this one is because Gal Gadot is hotter than hell.

Even having Ares involved wasn't the worst bit. The scene in the watchtower with him ghosting around and talking philosophy was pretty interesting and well done. I just think leaving him as an ethereal "yeah I'm here, but you won't find me" thing would have been better.

Also lupine fucking mustache. Jesus Christ, if nothing else ruined Ares as a character, that did.

Seriously, does this look like the god of war?
    [​IMG]

Also stoked as hell for Dunkirk. Excellent piece of history and I've yet to see Nolan go wrong. He's a goddamn genius.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  16. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I was surprised they didn't change his look at all once he went full God of War, and even kept the mustache in the flashback to his defeat by Zeus. His appearance was fine for when Ares was incognito, but once he was revealed...

That said, once her armored up it was much less of an issue. And the armoring up sequence was pretty badass.

17. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

[​IMG]

Yes? Plus I mean, the face of modern warfare shouldn't be Muscle McBeefLarge

18. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just saw the Mummy, and have to agree. It was a good but of amusement, and had a really good cast, but seemed a bit scattershot?

The friend was comic relief in every scene he was in, really. And it seemed like a lot of the scenes couldn't decide whether to be tense or scary or funny? The underwater chase felt like it was supposed to be nerve-wracking, but I was too busy laughing at what seemed like a story straight from /tg/. Then you had a few jumpscares, and some semi-tense moments, then BAM fightscene for no real reason and torture devices on the wall.

19. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Saw Wonder Woman.

Possibly the best live-action superhero film I've seen, up there with Deadpool, so it's probably a 7/10, good movie by normal movie standards.

Gadot and Pine were very good as the leads. Gadot was a wonderful naive but smart Wonder Woman, with idealism that shines through at all times. She had wonderful chemistry with Pine.

Will echo the sentiment that the casting of Ares was terrible. Couldn't find former Lupin intimidating at all.

The plot was cheesy, but no superhero plot isn't, so that's not a real issue.

The action scenes were best in close-quarters. I didn't enjoy the CGI overload at the end.

20. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter