1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading my Vid Card.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cruentus, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

As the title says. I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card. I've got an Nvidia 8500GT Can anybody recommend a good cheap upgrade?

2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

You should wait a little longer. Nvidia will be releasing their new generation, the GTX 900 series, soon (according to rumors it will be sometime this month), so that will bring new GPU's and should also lower the price of the GTX 700 series GPU's.

3. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

What is your current pc setup, and what exactly do you want to do with a new card?

Edit: Tom's Hardware has a good gpu guide that is regularly updated: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
    And slickdeals usually gets all the decent sales:
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?&tagid=6676&f=9
    The GPU guide at Tom's Hardware has a ranking if you want to compare two gpus.

So between those two sites you should be able to find something. But as Sacro mentioned, sales should be better when the Nvidia series is released.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Interesting that you ask that. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 280 that I thought about upgrading. But seeing as I really don't game anymore, I can't justify it.

Though, if I get into making/rendering video in a few months . . .

5. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

With the GTX 900 series out newegg, still has the 760s or at the least the ones Im keeping an eye on still around 250 or so. (mah franken build. It made Tehan recoil in horror.)

Guess its time to still keep waiting.

6. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Yeah, prices in Germany are also not really falling at the moment for most versions (though there are a few that have fallen below 200€, but all of them use the reference cooler and are therefore not really that great). That Nvidia announced that the 770, 780 and 780ti won't be produced anymore probably doesn't help much even though the 760 isn't included in the production stop.

But if you can I would advice you to get a 970 anyways (in a few weeks or so when the prices are more stable and not all over the place). Since the 970 seems to be pretty much on par with the 780ti it would be a far better upgrade than a 760, especially for about $320. It pretty much beats the 760 in price-performance, and the lower power consumption of the 900 series is also pretty nice.