1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Vampire!Harry

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Harpy Prince, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Kenshkrix

Kenshkrix DA Member DLP Supporter

If I could write worth a damn at all, I'd give it a shot. I find the concept of Vampirism interesting. I hate how the authors that write about it completely disregard all the weaknesses. The only time a vampire should have no weaknesses is if, like in Queen of the Damned, it's thousands of years old. Even then they're still weaker in sunlight, they just don't combust.
    If anybody else knows any good Vampire!Harry stories, I'd appreciate links as well.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just about gave up on vampire!Harry stories ages ago, they're all either slash, pathetically written or make vampires out to be the ultimate beings in the world with so many powers they themselves forget half of them.

It would be nice to see a good traditional, Bram Stoker's Dracula vampire!Harry, but that's unlikely. Strange thing though, I'd have thought the fangirls would have latched onto it because of Gary Oldman :p. He was Dracula after all :D.

Aekiel

3. Methene

Methene Auror

I seriously doubt any of the "Oh my gawsh Sirius is like so cool" fangirls know of him playing Count Dracula. And if they knew, we'd probably be treated with Sirius/Snape slash:

Sirius Black and the Curse of the Night
    ''cuz they're like both vampires, and they like luv each other. Suck at summaries, better story inside. Read & Review plz. lol!!!!!!@@

Vampire writers should seriously try to stop making vampires as gods incarnate though. The story would have much more depth if a vampire Harry could not go out during the day. Hell, it would even give them more to write about how he goes to Hogwarts.

I don't know, but in my opinion Vampire!Harry and Hogwarts do not work together.

Why would new immortal Harry Potter want to go back to a castle full of immature, insignificant mortals, anyway?

4. Aekiel

High Score:
    ... I really hate you right now XD.

I've already covered this with the Bram Stokerisms :p.

One point I can clearly find is that if he's anything like canon Harry (i.e. he hasn't been substituted for a Gary Stu upon conversion) then he'll want to go back to Hogwarts. It would be cool to have him unable to go because of sunlight though :D.

Aekiel

5. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I'll be sure to rep you for your prophetic powers when I see a fic with a similar summary in future.

6. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

What about a post-DH vampire story? Harry's no longer stuck in Hogwarts, Voldemort's gone. And you could get rid of Ginny.

It would work if you wanted to exapdn to the world outside of Hogwarts or England.

7. Aekiel

High Score:
    I just got the most wonderful image of Ginny lying on the floor in a pool of blood, her skin an almost white colour, and Harry standing over her with a maniacal grin on his blood-stained face as their children cower and hide under their beds :D. Thanks for that!

Aekiel

8. Methene

Methene Auror

Then he could bleed the kid dry too. It would spare us the horror of all those fics of Albus Severus and little Lupin and the Weasley brats as the nth generation of marauders.

9. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

There, see? Everyone's happy!

10. Methene

Methene Auror

Now all you would have to do is write the story...

Hint, hint :)

11. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

I shall leave that wonderful task to someone else. I think that others would be able to write it much better than I ever could.

12. kraytkiller

kraytkiller Second Year

I read some good ones on harrypotterfanfiction.net by selene or selena something, just search vampire. Creperum is also good...i think anyways, it goes through all the years of hogwarts but hes there as a guard instead of student.

13. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Suggested Potterverse Vampire Characteristics by Mr. Merriman

Note: This is something I wrote up a while back, with a little tweaking. I had planned to use this in a fic, but then lost interest when someone threw a ball of tin foil through a patch of sunlight. It's essentially a conversion of the Buffyverse vampires into Potterverse terms with a dash of Vampire: The Masquerade thrown in. There might be a couple of ideas taken from general Potterverse vampire fandom, but I tried to remain true to what little we’ve seen of vampires in the Potterverse, which fandom rarely does. I also tried to make vampires fairly powerful (which is sorta the point) while maintaining their traditional weaknesses, which are equally powerful.

Powers & Abilities

• Enhanced Physiology: Vampires are extremely strong, fast, agile, durable, and resilient. Vampires are, on average, two to four times as strong and fast as a healthy, adult male, though they always appear in exactly the same physical condition in which they were first “turned.” Vampires are naturally stealthy, and feel a kinship with dark, shadowy places or nocturnal landscapes. Vampires also have heightened senses, especially smell (though not as sensitive as a transformed werewolf), hearing, and sight. Vampires have excellent night-vision, and require very little light to see as well as a normal human during the afternoon hours on a sunny day. They cannot see in true darkness, though; there must be some form of illumination, however faint, present. Vampires also heal extremely quickly, swiftly bouncing back from disabling or crippling wounds. Healing more than superficial wounds is tiring, and requires rest and lots of blood. Vampires are also immune to all muggle diseases, and most magical ones, though they can still spread contagions if they are not careful.
    • Reflections: Vampires do not cast a reflection. Mirrors, polished metal, glass, water, and other reflective surfaces simply picture the area occupied by the vampire as if he was not there. This phenomenon also applies to the vampire’s clothing and personal affects, though not once they are no longer touching the vampire or have left his person. Also, vampires appear with their features obscured (often blurred out) on photographic media, including cameras and video footage.
    • Animal Forms: Vampires have the natural ability to assume two animal shapes, akin to the avian transformation of the veela or the animagus forms of the wizard or witch. No vampire can assume forms other than the wolf or the bat, and every vampire is capable of assuming both. Truly ancient or powerful vampires have sometimes been known to transform into a pack of wolves or swarm of bats, but this is both extremely rare, and extremely difficult. It is also only possible for magical vampires. Vampires in wolf or bat form still register as dead to medical or forensic instruments (or magical instruments designed to simply detect life signs other than animation), and retain the enhanced physical attributes innate to their nature as vampires. Multiple shape-shifts without a break can result in a vampire needing to feed. Vampires can shift directly from any form to any other form. This is not considered to be a variant of the Animagus transformation, but rather an innate ability.
    • Magic: Vampires are limited in regards to magic. They excel at the Dark Arts and related areas of magic, and have the ability to master any magical ability with time and effort, just as a living wizard or witch, but have a few restrictions. Vampires are unable to perform magic that conjures or manipulates fire, heat, or light. No vampire will ever shoot fireballs or dazzle the night sky with brilliant fireworks, although a slightly glowing conjuration (like a Dark Mark) is possible, with effort. Also, certain spells such as the Patronus Charm will not work for vampires. They, as true Dark Creatures, are simply incompatible with such spells.
    • Age: A vampire grows more powerful as it ages. Over time, a vampire’s strength, speed, endurance, and such get more effective and efficient. A vampire over a hundred years old can be five to six times stronger, faster, etc. than an average healthy, adult male. Their innate abilities also get more powerful, allowing them to transform into more than one animal (see above) or to cow even powerful animals with their gaze. They’re voice gains in power and can succeed in truly hypnotizing or inspiring true panic in a victim. Vampires do not physically age, and can, if they are not killed by unnatural means, exist indefinitely. A truly ancient vampire (500-1000 years old) can appear to be a dark god, with herculean strength, almost invulnerable skin, and moving faster than the eye can see. Few vampires survive for more than 200-300 years.
    Weaknesses

• Garlic: Vampires are disgusted and repulsed by the smell of garlic, which renders them nauseous and light-headed.
    • Fire & Sunlight: Vampires are fatally allergic to sunlight, which burns them and can, with enough exposure, induce spontaneous combustion. Upon exposure, vampires will begin to smoke and then burst into flames. Vampires are also very vulnerable to fire, and can be entirely consumed within a short time of being set alight. The more powerful the vampire, the longer it takes for their bodies to be properly destroyed.
    • Religious Paraphernalia: Vampires are also severely allergic to religious paraphernalia including crosses and other holy icons, blessed items, holy water, and other trappings of religion invested with genuine belief. Contact with a holy or blessed item will irritate a vampire’s skin, resulting in a burn, the severity of which is determined by the power of the item (or belief behind it) and the power of the vampire. Even constant exposure to minor religious icons or holy water can result in nothing more than serious inconvenience and pain.
    • Invitation: A vampire cannot enter a private home without an invitation by a resident. Until that invitation is issued (verbally or written, but not implied), the vampire cannot cross the threshold. Buildings considered to be accessible to the public in general, or private buildings without a dominant resident remain open to the vampire. A vampire cannot ever enter a church, even with invitation, unless it has been desecrated.
    • Wooden Stakes & Decapitation: These are the only two methods for killing a vampire aside from fire, sunlight, or prolonged exposure to powerful religious icons. When a wooden stake pierces the heart of a vampire, he immediately dies and collapses into a small cloud of grave dust. The same phenomenon occurs after decapitation.
    • Predator’s Aura: A vampire is rarely molested by natural animals, most of which will flee rather than suffer his presence. The exception is large, aggressive, or powerful predators, like bears. Dogs, on the other hand, will simply refuse to attack the vampire, while cats will hiss and scratch at little to no provocation. Wolves, bats, and rats, on the other hand, often do not even acknowledge vampires, although wolves will often accept a vampire as alpha, or master, in wolf or human form. This sometimes requires sufficiently cowing (or defeating in combat) the current alpha of the pack. A phoenix will not tolerate a vampire and will immediately attack it on sight, attempting to set it alight.
    • Undead: Vampires are not living creatures, nor are they truly dead. They occupy a cursed state between death and life. This is manifested in several aspects of their physiology. Vampires have no pulse, and register on all medical or forensic instruments as corpses. Their body temperature averages at room temperature regardless of their level of activity, unless they have fed in the last eight hours, during which period they are slightly warmer than usual. Vampires do not require breath, though they can breathe voluntarily in order to facilitate functions such as vocalization. A vampire can hold its breath indefinitely, and cannot be drowned or asphyxiated. When feeding or in stressful situations (such as combat) a vampire will undergo a minor physical transformation as the canines elongate into fangs, their fingernails grow and become somewhat claw-like, their eyes glow, and their voice takes on an unusual quality that varies between soothingly hypnotic or icy thunder. The effect his has on prey is minor, but often provides subsidiary support to the vampire’s actions. A vampire’s appearance is determined by its state upon its “First Death.” Hair length, nail length, apparent age/physical appearance/physical fitness: all appear exactly as they did when a vampire was turned. If a vampire cuts his hair or nails, they will remain cut until the vampire enters his daily sleep, whereupon they will revert to their natural state. Tattoos, piercings, and other body modifications will also disappear literally within a day.
    • Soulless: Not all vampires are emotionless killing machines or Machiavellian plotters engaged in intricate games of cat-and-mouse . . . but a lot of them are. Upon turning, a vampire gradually loses his ability to empathize with others, and within a hundred years will see all mortals as prey or playthings. Vampires are naturally cruel, and even the most personable vampire has a wide sadistic streak and unspoken, dark urges. Even fledgling vampires tend to enjoy the suffering of those they dislike, and most will prefer to cause or prolong pain rather than end it, except in the case of friends or close associates.
    • Blood: A vampire requires blood to survive. He must feed at least once per night, draining enough blood from the victim to kill a healthy, adult human male. This effect can be moderated by drawing smaller amounts from multiple sources. If a vampire does not feed at least once a night, he becomes increasingly strained, tense, and aggressive, eventually leading to a berserker trance in which the vampire forcible seeks out and drains the first suitable victim it can find. Vampires can not survive on animal blood; only humans or certain part-humans will suffice. Creatures whose blood is suitable include: humans, centaurs, werewolves, merfolk, and veela. The blood of magical humans provides a brief sense of euphoria and dramatically increases the vampire’s rate of healing. Wizard blood is processed more efficiently, and a vampire can subsist on half the amount of blood as usual when it is taken from a wizard or witch. If a vampire participates in an extended period of physical activity or stressful situations requiring the use of the vampire’s innate abilities, it will often require feeding more often, sometimes two to four times in a single night.

Becoming A Vampire: A vampire is created when another vampire (the sire) drains a victim of blood to the point just before death. At this point, the sire draws blood from him/herself in some manner and places it in the mouth of the victim. A vampire’s blood has an immediately addictive quality that provides incentive for the victim to drink more. When enough blood has been consumed by the victim (generally a pint), the sire drains the rest of the blood of the victim, resulting in the victim’s death. No further actions are required by the sire, although most will then take the victim’s corpse to a safe location. At promptly midnight after the third nightfall since the victim’s death, the victim will rise as a new vampire. The fledgling vampire will rise in a state of animalistic hunger and immediately seek to feed upon the first suitable target it sees.
    • Ghouls: A vampire created from a muggle or squib is known as a ghoul. They inherit all of the weaknesses of the vampire, but gain a more limited arsenal of abilities. They still possess the enhanced physiology and animal forms of the magical vampire, but gain in power much slower (about a 1/3 as fast as a true vampire) and cannot ever use magic. They are looked down upon by “true” vampires, and often exist as servants to more powerful magical vampires.

Ministry Regulations
    • Vampires are not allowed to feed on wizards/witches, and are not allowed to kill muggles. They are not allowed to feed on centaurs, veela, or other magical creatures or part-humans.
    • Vampires are not allowed to sire others of their kind; this is punishable by death. Curiously, there is no restriction on siring Ghouls, although Squibs are protected. However, vampires are still subject to the International Statute of Secrecy and violating this is considered a crime of treason.
    • The preferred Ministry method of vampire execution is Exposure to Sunlight. Any vampire suspected of crimes or Dark activity is sentenced automatically to death without recourse to trial or appeal.
    • Vampires are not allowed to hold jobs where they come into contact with general public.

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

A nice basic outline, but needs work, I shall elaborate when I get off work later.

15. Nemo

Nemo Second Year

I'm kinda curious to hear your ideas, since I'm actually interested in playing with this idea now. Seeing Vampire!Harry having been so badly abused kind of helps. :)

16. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I like those characteristics for a Vampire, but like Vash, I would tweak a bit some of them. I also would detach the Vampire from the religious paraphernalia and all that crap. IMO it would be better if Vampires were just unable to manipulate or deceive people with a strong will or very firm beliefs, even getting a 'mental backlash' from those people. In addition, I would make those 'strong believers' able to 'sense' them (not as Vampires, but as 'something else' and maybe dangerous), sort of able to detect the predator aura you described and react in a suspicious and uncomfortable way towards them.

17. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

It's really rough, and somewhat incomplete, but it hits the high points on what I think of when I think "vampire." Plus, the aversion to religious paraphernalia is, to me, an integral part of the vampire mythos. It also adds another serious drawback for what is, essentially, a curse. And although primarily Christian religious trappings are used in the example above, I figured that the icons and symbols of any religion would work so long as there is genuine belief and faith behind them.

I had some other ideas for a different type of apparition from wizards or house-elves, where they make no sound but create a small mist or cloud of smoke in their place (a la Nightcrawler).

18. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Just use this. Practically the best vampire schematic.

Cliche weaknesses are gone, the only way a Vampire can die is through direct sunlight (cheesy sunlight spells ruin this) or decapitation. Stakes to the heart paralyze, but don't kill. Vampires cast reflections. Vampires do not eat human food. Vampires are not affected by garlic or crosses. Vampires don't run around going "blah blah!". They don't need coffins (although some do use them for the effect). They make servants called Ghouls. A human drinking the same vampire's blood 3 times will make them into a ghoul (further ingestion is required to sustain the effects). Vampires are the mortal enemies of werewolves.

Vampire society is scattered throughout the world. There are baronies with lords of certain places, and a general organization that polices vampires so that they don't go around posing for pictures and giving autographs.

Depending upon the strain the turner is attributed to, Vampires come with different strengths/weaknesses. Some are insane (actually, the Malkavians from Bloodlines are just like Luna, it'd be fun if she were the ghoul of her father, or something). Some can transform into bestial forms. Some cannot feed off of animals/low lives and require blood only from the rich and wealthy well-fed aristocrats. Others are hideous and abominable, with razor teeth and deformaties on their ashen skin.

Vampires, when starved of blood, go into a frenzy. A vampire can live without blood indefinately, but they will go mad with bloodlust. Generally, other vampires take it upon themselves to slay these bestial monsters.

Vampires are usually isolationistic, ambitious and weary. The tendency for a Vampire to have these qualities increase with age. Not all of them are heartless though.

Vampire lore is fantasistical and most of it is bullshit. Nobody knows really how Vampires came to exist, but there are vampires that seek out their history. There are claimed to be supernatural vampires centuries old, though nobody has actually reported any in the modern world, if they do exist.

Vampires do not sire other vampires without explicit permission from those higher up. Even Barons cannot just go around turning people. To do so is immediate execution.

That's about it. All the major ideas (aside from the other vampire factions/strains in Aisa/Africa). I think most of them would work in the HP universe. They're more interesting than the staple Nosferatu/Dracula vampires that most fanfiction use.

Following a similar plot to Bloodlines, one could easily write this story:

Harry is found to be interesting by some vampire. A baron of some place in Britain(A), or just some ambitious lowlife(B).

(B): Harry is turned by this vampire (probably'd be best if the vampire was female and seduced him).

Vampire B is executed for illegally siring Harry. Harry's alone.

Introduce Harry to some faction in Britain, have him get acquainted and then have him be required to prove his worth (since he has no lord, he needs to show himself capable of taking care of himself). He does something, and then the plot begins to unravel. Perhaps there's some plot involving Voldemort, or some other enemy? It depends if the author wants to involve Harry's old friends and if he wants to introduce vampire lore/politics into everything.

Anyway, the conflicts would be Harry overcoming and controlling his bloodlust, retaining his humanity, figuring out what to do with himself, deciding which vampire faction to join, etc. the threat of sunlight and zealous Vampire hunters are more than enough weaknesses for Harry.

But not matter how you'd do it, a cross over with The Masquerade would be awesome.

At very least, the idea of different vampire strains is interesting. Luna = Jeanette/Therese in the making.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  19. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I second removing the religious items, holy water, and entering churches from the list.

20. Grautry

Grautry First Year

It's one of the best. But it doesn't really work when you're going for vampire!Harry story for a couple of reasons.

Remember, humans turned into V:tM vampires lose any and all magical abilities they might have possesed before the embrace. Additionally it takes them ~20ish years to grasp the bare basics of vampiric supernatural powers and centuries to become the type of vampire that could be a threat to a wizard of Voldemort's caliber.

Add to the fact that new vampires are bitches of older ones, uber demigod vampires that make Voldemort look like a little kid and a loooot of other stuff stuff that you have to get rid of or adapt somehow.

Basically, lots of V:tM ideas are pretty good but a lot of it is bad and doesn't fit with HP mythos. You'd have to heavily modifiy it to have a vampire myth that you can use.

You're thinking Vampire: Requiem here. V:tM has a canonically estabilished vampire-origin myth as well as dozens of elders and even more powerful vampires(virtually every prince is a couple hundred years old).