1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Vampire!Harry

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Harpy Prince, Apr 25, 2006.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Well, my first fic, "Take a Look Through the Masquerade" is a crossover with VTM, although it's not that much of a piece of art, rather crappy. I'm rewriting what I have to clear some plotholes and improve it as much as I can, but my hopes are not that far up.

My point is, anyway, that in my fic, to make things "fair" I made Vampires unable to use wizarding magic, which would even things out, and in fact, is a vital part of the plot.

The only problem using VTM, and the major trouble I faced, was introducing the whole VTM world to the readers and into the story. That freaking thing is huge and has too many details, so you have to be really specific not to leave anything out that later may cause a big plothole.

2. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

*spoilers:*

Beckett initially says that the origin of the Vampire is clouded by myth. Sure, the princes and people like LaCrois are established, along with all the elders, and although the Malkavian psychologist (I forget his name – it's the dungeon with all the phonographs) too comes to believe in Caine and everything, the ending shakes it a little. I mean, you spend all that time playing the game and all you get is a rotten corpse... it's not a vampire at all.

There's no definitive vampire origin. There are myths, and most vampires believe those myths, but they aren't established fact. Consider the Asian vampires, they're completely different from the strains in America and have their own mythology and biology.

I do agree with you, about your other points, but you can always bend things. Just have Harry drink the blood of an older vampire (perhaps by accident, so as to avoid the fact he'd be executed...) to accommodate.

edit:

Really? Ah, I'll have to check this out, even if it's as bad as you claim, I'm sure it's quite good. I doubt you screwed up too badly...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  3. The Mysterious Nobody

Well, you're thinking more in a "Bloodlines" sense than the actual PnP game. In the actual PnP game, vampires do have a canonical, religious and very mystic origin with its own set of prophecies -gehenna- that in the end came to be true.

Religious paraphernalia and lore are a 'must' in VTM, because all the mythos is mixed a little too much into the christian 'culture'.

Even though, all that can be ignored. In fact, you would have to ignore all the concept of both 'Gehenna' and 'the final nights' to make a story crossing it over with HP.

That said, 'Bloodlines' offers a whole lot of amazing characters to use ( Grout, Gary, Smiling Jack or Jeanette).

As for my fic, don't get your hopes too far up. Andromalius seemed to enjoy some of it though.

---

That aside, I would also like to say that if any of you takes the idea of this thread and makes a fic, don't turn Harry as a Student of hogwarts. IMO, Vampires should remain the same all their unlives; they shouldn't be able to grow up or mature (kind of like 'Claudia' in Interview with the Vampire'). If harry was to be turned, to make the story enjoyable and readable, he should be turned some time after Hogwarts or after the DH.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The only reason I think people wouldn't like your story is that much of the Vampires Bloodlines world was explained through exposition rather than the audience learning about the world with Harry. It just takes some creativity.

Speaking of which, how's the rewrite coming along?

5. The Mysterious Nobody

Slowly, but I'm satisfied with how it's going until now. I erased all the clans crap from the first chapter and I have the 2nd chapter and half of the 3rd written. Still correcting some issues though ( like the one you mentioned) I want the crossover to come as naturally as possible. When they're ready, I'll pass them for betareading and then post them in Work by Author.

6. Grautry

Grautry First Year

For an average vampire? Of course it is.

Basically no one ever sees any truly ancient vampires. Methuselahs(vampires 1000+ years old)? Maybe that one rare sighting once per decade. Antideluvians(5k+ gods)? No one ever sees them and if they do they don't know that they're interacting with those. Caine? Maybe a couple thousand years ago.

The point is - there's no confirmation for the myth because there are virtually no vampires that either lived to see Caine or at least talked with someone who has seen him. Historical accuracy of those times is also very sketchy. There's basically no evidence for it.

So all in all, it's fairly reasonable to be a skeptic for in-game characters when talking about Caine. However, from a plot/world viewpoint of V:tM world, Caine myth is the truth.

Actually...

The taxi drivers' voice files are marked as "Caine". There's been no confirmation or denial from either White Wolf or Troika whether that character actually is Caine or whether it's a joke of some kind.

That's because they're an entirely different breed of vampires. Kuei-Jin are basically people who went to hell and got reincarnated back into their bodies. The only thing they have in common with 'vampires' is that most of them drink blood to survive.

That's why I'm saying that you'd have to modify the V:tM mythos pretty heavily to have something that you can work with. :)

And regarding diablerie(the elder-eating thing) - you could just make Harry of the Assamite clan. They're independent of the Camarilla and consider diablerie to be a sacred sacrament of theirs. Or make him Sabbat. Or whatever really. There's lots of ways to play around with this(now mind you, rules-wise diablerie doesn't give you much more than getting stronger generation, however this can be easily changed to give you more of the elder's power).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  7. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

1. Ah, I've read a little bit up on the lore after beating the PC game, but I've never extensively read everything. Interesting... although it's a little lame that they'd go and and state directly, "These myths are true." It's more fun when that sort of thing is ambiguous.

2. I think Harry could be turned prior to becoming an adult, I mean he'd lose his magical ability anyway, so his time at Hogwarts would be wasted regardless.

Yes to no Hogwarts, though. Harry can ocassionally run into his old friends, it'd be fun to write scenes where he stumbles upon them, trying to convince them they have the wrong guy; oozes darkness and drama.

After DH? If we pretend Ginny doesn't exist, maybe, but Voldemort should remain alive I think, it adds a conflict; like Harry has abandoned his "duty". Not that he probably wouldn't be broody enough without another internal conflict...

I'd love to use the characters from Bloodlines, but I doubt I could encorporate them. I mean, first of all, how are vampires supposed to travel large distances over sea? The sun would rise before they could find shelter. Jack, Nines, any of them; I can't foresee needing a reason to leave California either. And Britain, of all places? I guess Harry could go to California, but that's still a bit of a distance...

8. Nemo

Nemo Second Year

"It turns out that the schooner is Russian from Varna, and is called the Demeter. She is almost entirely in ballast of silver sand, with only a small amount of cargo, a number of great wooden boxes filled with mould."

Hey, if it works for the Count...

(I don't think this counts as necro-posting if it's only four topics from the top of the page)