1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Variant Strain by scriviner - T - Prototype/Spiderman

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Panther, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Panther

Panther Third Year

Title: Variant Strain
    Author: scriviner
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Mystery
    Fandom: Prototype/Spiderman
    Summary: For most, adolescence is a time of change and growth. For some, the changes are a bit more drastic than expected.
    Peter struggles with a changing world, an even more changeable body and more questions than he has answers for.
    He tries to understand where his strange new powers come from and the most important question of all... what happened?
    Link: FanFiction.Net

The premise of this story is that Peter Parker gets infected with Blacklight when his uncles house is broken into.
    The author updates almost daily, it has decent grammar and spelling and currently follows the games plot, with Prototype characters replaced by the Spiderman cast.

4/5

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've been reading this too. Fantastic story, characters with personality, plenty of action, and a Spiderman I can stand to read about. Peter Parker's personality is evolving thanks to the Hydra virus, the multiple personalities, and the situations he finds himself in.

Cletus' interjections are sometimes gold.

5/5

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's pretty good, admittedly far better than I was expecting. Peter's characterisation is well done, as is MJ's, and the plot seems to be progressing nicely.

5/5

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just finished it myself. Very good; well written with believable character interaction and some interesting new takes on how certain experiences would change known characters. Best part is that Peter Parker is acting how we would expect someone with his moral code to act. Well worth a read.

5. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

This is easily my favourite fic on SB, as well as my favourite prototype or spiderman fic, it's just so perfect. I love pretty much everything about this fic, and I'm constantly checking it for updates.

Easily a 5/5.

6. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

That just stole a good chunk of my afternoon. Very enjoyable read; Peter's characterisation and the exploration of his abilities, physically and mentally, appeal to me.

Can't think of a reason not to give this 5/5.

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pretty good story, really strong characterization. Really like how Peter goes down that slippery slope.

4/5 so far

8. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Very impressed the way marvel characters are worked into a Prototype setting- the 'commercials with green goblins destroying property if you don't have Oscorp insurance' was a hilarious nod, and there's a bunch of little gems like this throughout the story. Highly recommend if you have an interest in Spiderman.

9. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

updated, and it's a pretty good one. Not to spoil anything, but the ending was suspected. And it's more signs of MJ kind of being batshit.

10. Arrakis

Arrakis First Year

I'm really enjoying this. Looks like a 5/5 to me.

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I am really, really glad that it doesn't seem to be heading towards a stupid love triangle.

12. ninjacom

ninjacom First Year

I'm finding the story to be very enjoyable and would definitely give the story a 5/5. The only thing that's bugging me is that the word "its" does not seem to exist for this author. They literally use "it's" every single time. Other than that minor nitpick, the story is a good read.

13. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Wow, this was surprisingly good for such a strange crossover.
    I probably wouldn't have picked this up without the recommendation here, but now I'm glad I did.

Sometimes the author goes overboard with the description of a scene or situation. I have the image of the scene pretty clearly in my mind after the first one or two paragraphs, but he goes on and on with descriptions and maybe some introspection on Peters part for pages. I just want the story to go on in those moments.

But still... I can't give it less than 5/5.

14. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

I like a lot of what I'm seeing here. I'm just not so sure about the crossover itself. It's like the author has created his own world by blending elements of the two without real regard for the previously established characters involved within the universes. This might just be the fact that it has been years since I have read a marvel comic but I just feel like there could have been more to it.

I'm leaving my rating a 4.5/5 for the moment though despite my gripe. It may be nothing but currently it bothers me enough when I'm reading to annoy me.

15. CrackedMind

I would argue the best part of this story is the blending between the two worlds, Legacy. Rather than forcibly merging the two (SPIDER!mercer, ad nauseum). Rather, the author is seamlessly doing it by blending the two.

16. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I'm only about 10 chapters in, but I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far. The only thing that bugs me is MJ's characterization... she's just a little bit too, I dunno, perfect I guess. I mean, I get that she's kind of supposed to be Peter's perfect girl, but it's more an issue of every response she has is the ideal response, like... their relationship is just too effortless. Kind of minor I guess. It won't stop me from reading. Very quality writing otherwise.

17. Panther

Panther Third Year

Dont worry, MJ is most definitely not perfect.

18. CrackedMind

Its been updated a few times, but this one is by far the best; completely threw me for a loop. I'd put spoilers to discuss it, but I cant seem to manage it on mobile.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I've never played Prototype. Is it necessary to follow this story?

20. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I've never played Prototype and only have knowledge of bits and pieces of the game but I'm not having any problems.