1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete VINCET by nos tres reges - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Skeletaure, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Cas

Cas Slug Club Member

The end of year 2 has been posted. Imo not up to the usual standards and a bit of a crappy end to the year/chapter. The author has admitted that it's now only one of them writing it instead of the three that started it, and tbh I think that you can tell with this last chapter.

It felt like they were forcing the story a bit and trying to cram too much in to the last chapter. Also ended on a very controversial note, which I didn't really find believable.

Overall I was disappointed with how they ended year 2 but will look for year coming out, as I've really been enjoying this so far.

2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm going to have to disagree; while I feel that year 2 was too short overall, the last chapter did what it needed to do. It was different from the rest of the year, but at the same time seemed like a welcome right turn to a new direction.

3. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I liked the end of year two, it built up momentum heading into year three (what's going to happen to Sirius? Will Harry play for England? Will he transfer? How's Riddles soul going to affect him? etc.). My problem with the series is that Harry is acting like an adult, which isn't a bad thing, I hate reading stories where Harry's an immature 12 year old. With that said it would be more plausible if he were at least 15.

4. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I was a little confused by how it ended. How can the people who run the school place blame on Harry when they're the ones responsible for enforcing rules and keeping students safe? They seemed perfectly content to let a monster live in the school and threaten to have Harry arrested when it is inadvertently let loose? I fail to see what law, or even what school rule, Harry broke in this instance, aside from being out of bed after hours.

Also, Dumbledore's willingness to heap blame on Harry seems very out of character. Harry may not be your average twelve-year-old in this fic, but honestly Dumbledore is ridiculous. Especially after Harry came clean to him about the situation and handed over the diary. The fact that he didn't even consider that Harry may have been possessed was a head scratcher.

That being said, I suppose it's not a bad plot development to take Harry out of Hogwarts.

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I think the point of the whole Dumbledore/Harry fight at the end the story was that Dumbledore isn't going to let Harry get away with endangering himself and the entire school by disobeying orders, it was all about discipline.

The law/aurors could easily get involved (knowingly going after a Basilisk and letting him loose qualifies as public endangerment in my opinion).

At the end Dumbledore was blaming Harry for going back on his word and endangering the school. I don't think Dumbledore was overacting at all, he had no reason to suspect that Harry was possessed by Tom Riddle, for fucks sake he handed over Riddle's Horcrux; someone who is possessed just doesn't do that.

6. bugler

bugler Second Year

Some interesting developments in the latest chapter.

On a minor note, the very first paragraph of the chapter seems to imply that Harry wants to hide the extent of his magical ability--that seemed to come out of the blue, and I could see no obvious motivation for it.

The dialogue with Dobby and Harry's approach to freeing him was original, and I enjoyed it. In fact, the dialogue felt almost socratic.

I also liked how the interaction between Tom and Harry's minds was portrayed. For me, it captured the essence of how possession might feel: vague, indistinct, like something between dreams and reality.

Thee argument between Dumbledore and Harry, while realistic enough, seems unlikely to result in Harry actually leaving Hogwarts. I simply doubt the author would undertake the effort required to write such a drastic departure.

7. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I agree with people who felt that the latest chapter was about the right length, given how short the second year's been.

The freeing Dobby - though unusual, felt oversimplified to me. Had it been that simple, someone would have discovered it ages ago. Yes, the whole convincing them is hard but still I don't see how such a simple solution would remain hidden for so long. I know that Malfoys and the Blacks are an extreme representation of elfish abuse, but there is a large group of families like them. And someone before Hermione, has to have felt sympathetic towards them, right?

The entire thing seemed like an overdone exercise in cleverness.

Next, the author himself admitted that he seems to have given Harry a little too many advantages over the course of the story (and he probably intends to change that), and I couldn't agree more. Irrespective of the method choose, a second year Harry being able to dive into Lord Voldemort's mind and figure out a Horcrux seems a little much.

Finally, the method of Harry leaving Hogwarts seems too ridiculous to be true. First off, like Howdy said how in the world did Harry manage to be implicated by the law? Second, Dumbledore just letting him go seems very out of character. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy into the super manipulative Dumbledore fanon either. But this is the man who had a friend live next to Harry's house to watch him (not to mention Order observers) and went to great lengths to accomodate the kid. It seems downright ridiculous that he'd just let Harry go primarily over something so stupid - especially considering his passive-aggressive calculating nature.

Those aside, I do quite like the idea of Harry leaving Hogwarts. It could lead to quite a few interesting plot points, and Harry dealing with issues without the implicit protection of Hogwarts/Dumbledore (i.e., unless he ends up going to another school).

8. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think all of that could have been solved by harry just going
    "Riddle possessed me, I didn't free myself until I was down in the chamber and he summoned the basilisk during the struggle. He's gone now though."

9. Rache

Rache Headmaster

This update was long overdue and man, what an update it was.

Maybe the authors want to write about Beauxbatons Academy of magic.

Is there a discussion thread for The General written by ROB, one of the authors???

10. dragovitch

dragovitch Disappeared

I really wanted to read this fic but to my knowledge either the author himself or the Fanfiction admins took it offline, I've tried looking everywhere for it but no luck. Anyone know where I can find the fic?

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You'll have to find someone who archived it. The authors took the story down. You might find luck messaging the authors and see if they'll send you a copy.

12. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

I have an archive of it. Not sure how old the archive is, but I uploaded it to speedyshare if you want to dll it.

VINCENT

13. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

But . . . WHY? It was such a good story!

14. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No idea. The NTR twitter is gone as well; your best bet at finding out would be stalking Rob's personal twitter and asking him directly, since he'd been doing all of the recent writing. Vlad hasn't been involved in the story since the haitus, afaik, and Klael's been almost completely inactive for the last two years but you might try asking him anyways.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Didn't the first chapter feature a snarky 11 year old Harry with an expansive vocabulary who insulted and was snobby/elitist towards Ron for no reason other than that Ron is an 11 year old boy?

... really?

Also Dursley physical abuse was the first thing shown. Not even hidden within the walls of Number 4, but right there on the tracks of Kings Cross Vernon smacked Harry's head hard enough to make him reel back.

Not to mention a metamorphagus Harry.

This is as bad as An Aunt's Love to me.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, it was good for it's time.

There is very little Fanfiction that stands the test of time.

17. dragovitch

dragovitch Disappeared

Thanks man! I've been looking for this for ages.

---------- Post automerged at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

Huh, from what I had heard, I expected it to be way better than this...

Hell, dlp has pretty strict taste and I haven't been around that long but I expected better to be honest. :(

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Nah, it wasn't even good for its time. I remembered Harry being a snobby, elitist ass before I downloaded the chapter because it was so fucking stupid it stayed in my mind all these years.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Differing opinions I guess?

Myself and many others on DLP loved it when it was first released.

20. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I never liked this story. When it first came it, out took all the common trope ideas, threw a bunch of them into one bucket, and then tried to legitimize them by adding some bullshit flowery prose (in typical DLP fashion - It looks like we've mostly evolved beyond that now). It wasn't good back then, and it certainly hasn't gotten better with age. I'm sure there's a post by a younger me complaining about all that back then.