1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

It kind of sounds like thors jealous of Sif talking of Harry all the time

2. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Before the banishment Thor was the kinda asshole that would have gotten off on being chased by a hot woman...so ya.

3. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This is kinda the movieverse. So far it draws from the movies for major plot points and character traits, but there are quite a few aspects which are drawn from the comics. The Ancient One, The Nameless One, and the connection with the sorcerer supreme. I wouldn't base any of the characters solely off of the movies.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

True, but since the base is the movieverse there are some things that are from the movie, and Sif in the movies didn't have a kid with Thor or was with him in a relationship.

5. Haze

Haze Second Year

I thought Thor and Sif got together after Jane in the comics as well.

All my knowledge comes from here though:

http://marvel.com/universe/Sif

6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

7. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Disappointing last 2 updates. Harry feels incompetent. The plot feels railroaded.

He had dozens of opportunity to kill Peeves or the Basilisk, but of course, waits until the last minute to do anything, and then Loki gets petrified. And then we jump to harry in prison, with zero explanation of how his wands were taken away, or if he let them be taken away.

He just feels so helpless. Harry is alternately competent and powerful-- see his fights with the Hulk, when he's helping SHIELD-- and then he suddenly loses all sense, just in time for 'plot' to happen. It feels like most of his problems are because he occasionally becomes stupid.

And I also just hate Peeves as an enemy, but that's just me.

Not sure how to feel about this fic anymore.

Edit:

And I really don't get Harry's character sometimes. He is occasionally cowed by Odin and Thor and then occasionally stands firm. He's inconsistent.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I disagree on the helpless bit in particular. What did you want to see, Harry take on an entire halls worth of Asgardians including Odin? That'd be so OP as to ruin the story.

I felt like the reason Harry did so well against the Hulk (a traditionally OP character when he's a ragemonster) is because his skillset just happens to counter the Hulk well. Harry can shield against the Hulk's big hits, which is how the Hulk usually fights. Fighting a trained warrior like Odin or Thor, or someone with magic like Loki's, would be a much harder fight. Add in a few dozen warriors Harry could take on individually and suddenly it's not a fight he's likely to win.

And that's good. Because otherwise he's so OP that it's not as fun.

I think that's just Harry. He's not overly worried about his situation, even if it's a serious one, so he's just being himself. If pushed I expected him to stand firm, but it's going to be when he feels it matters. If it doesn't matter then he's not pushing it. It's refreshing not to have to deal with that overused fanfiction rendition of Harry - you know the one, where Harry is always in everyone's face being a teenager with a chip on his shoulder.

I see what you mean, and you might have a point. But it doesn't bother me, so I think it might be at least in part a personal preference as opposed to an actual issue. Some of both, perhaps.

9. KGB

KGB Headmaster

So let's say you have a point with that. I personally disagree, but whatever. This doesn't mean that he is easily imprisoned and disarmed. With various ways to turn invisible, apparition, confundus etc. there is no way in hell they could take Harry. He can disappear and hide like no ones business.

This actually feels like typical comicbook 'power of character varies based on the needs of plot' bullshit.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Why would he up and vanish and incur their anger when he has no need to?

I'm more annoyed by the way he handled it, or rather 'was handled'.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

But again, why? I mean you're right, if Harry's mentality at the point he arrived had been in 'escape' mode, he could have gotten away. He could disappear, make another portkey, apparate in short hops, or do any number of things.

But why would Harry have been thinking that he had to escape? It's obvious from the story that Harry doesn't really feel that he did anything wrong. But not only that, Harry is a decent sort of person who might have intended to help Loki out anyway.

Not to mention that Odin is one of Harry's only links to the extinct wizard's of this Earth. Harry probably wants to pick his brain, and making an immediate run for it makes Harry look guilty, sabotages future conversations, and above all... serves no point.

Sure, Harry wants to get back to Earth. He wants to check up on Bruce and Tony and deal with anything else that might be going on. But it's not crazy urgent - if it was, I suspect Harry would have made more an effort.

I guess I just don't get your issue with Harry being captured. I don't think he'd have won a fight with ease, and while I do agree that he could have escaped it doesn't (from my POV) seem like it would have a good choice. Especially since Harry doesn't appear worried that they'd actually execute him.

On the other hand I wouldn't mind clarification. Harry letting go of both his wands seems a little too far-fetched without some more thought put into writing why. Speculation is well and good but for characterization it'd be nice to have a better idea of Harry's thought process. He might /not/ be able to escape without them, which changes the dynamics significantly.

So good point there.

12. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Well since he was taken captive and tried there was a need. He could have avoided that, but I guess he acted on his plot precognition and knew it would be alright at the end if he stayed.

13. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Like Cheddar said, the only unbelievable thing about the section was Harry losing his wands. Everything else was fairly reasonable.it wasn't hard to realize that he was going to be a-okay, what with him-
    A.being friends with Sif (who would obviously go out on a limb for him, what with how much she bemoaned returning to Asgard)
    B. Not doing anything wrong

It just seemed like Harry didn't want to rock the boat, and so he was willing to wait it out and plead his case. It seemed less like Harry had suddenly been weakened because of 'plot', and more that he just wasn't being an asshole. I mean, he did manage to block Mjolnir when Thor swung it at him- that's pretty cool, right?

Though my one complaint on this chapter is how annoying Thor is- but that's true to his character pre-Earth.

14. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

He probably should have shown his actual arrest but I see no fault in how Harry handles that situation from his POV and character. What would have been the sense of a violent confrontation there? He didn't know enough about them and what then? He has no clue about Asgard and how to get back. If you forgot he needed the energy of the Basilisk to make the port key work. To Harry it's all a big misunderstanding. Well, with the exception of ruining a nice feast with a large Basilisk.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Odin can see magic. He'd have to be pretty freaking blind to not notice two powerful magical artefacts like Harry's wand and the Deathstick.

16. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Heh, seems people resurrected this thread too while I wasn't looking.

I admit that Harry's character may be somewhat different in this chapter than before, and I'll go over it again to see where it might be changed. More than a year passed between updates, so my particular version of the character might've been flanderized a bit. The Harry in this has always been somewhat more laconic and light-hearted than his canon or usual fanon counterparts, aside from some more distressing moments, so that might have come out a bit more strongly here than intended.

Regarding the concept of breaking out of Asgard and so forth, I don't really see how that would be a reasonable action for Harry to take. There's no reasonable scenario in which he would be fighting his way out of the palace after his little entrance, nor one in which Harry would just get to keep all his toys in order to escape. He's not suicidal. Playing along until he thinks of something, or Sif helps him out, or until he gets a chance to speak his mind - that seems to me a far more reasonable path. Harry already has the advantage of representing a lost ally, so despite his misgivings he must realize he's not gonna get his head chopped off out of nowhere.

I also think that if he ever really did have desperate need of a wand, it might come as easily as Gryffindor's sword. The Elder Wand has been slipping into his fingers quite a bit already...

Thor's character was intentionally abrasive - he was quite the stuck up brat early on in his movie. With canon events basically prevented, he hasn't had a reason yet to pull that stick out of his ass.

17. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

The only thing I disliked and didn't understand was how long it took for Odin to call out Harry for an interrogation. I would have thought it would be done as soon as possible, perhaps after clearing out the Basilisk and having their own people look over Loki.

18. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

They had to let him stew; standard police tactics. Also, Asgardians are really old. Probably didn't seem like a long time to them.

19. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

The latter might be true, but the former I don't really agree with because as far as I understand it's not readily apparent that he has intentionally done something grievous for them to treat him like a criminal, so it would be more important to establish what actually happened as soon as possible, especially with Loki suffering from an unknown malady.

It would be more believable to me if they had a quick exchange in the hall after Odin came in with Loki's body and Harry tried to pass it off as Loki's fault or said something flippant then got sent straight to a cell, but as it is that part really stood out to me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  20. Freed

Freed Squib

I just can't help but wonder, doesn't giving up / having the Elder Wand taken count as Harry forfeiting his right to be its master?