1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

WANTED: Inspiration for Established Author HI!

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Sisgood, Apr 7, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sisgood

Sisgood Squib

Hi all!

I'm Sisgood a play on my real name which I will not say, and Sara ane on fanfiction.net. Here's the link!
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/24870/sara_ane

I just turned 30, happily married and planning to expand the family soon. :)

My claim to fame is my poor neglected fiction, Taking Care of Myself and I admit, I have not been taking care of my fic! I still like it, want to write it but every time I sit down to write a bit on it, I get distracted by something shiny (my Kindle, otherwise known as, the precious) and my focus goes flying out the window as my inner two-year-old goes, OOOooo What does this button do? (If you did not get that reference, I am not explaining it.)

I have been active in fanfiction since some of you little ones have been alive. I was 10 and wrote a continuation of the Narnia series... that one is never seeing the light of day btw...

I got heavy into fanfiction about 1999 when Gundam Wing hit the airways and I moved on to Harry Potter after reading Goblet of Fire... just in time for the quality train to peak and start going downhill... When I first started reading HP fanfiction, I couldn't find any that were written the way I wanted, so I took it upon myself to write one. Then... well, let's just say my life became horror novel worthy and leave it at that shall we? I continued reading fanfiction during that time and discovered some truly amazing stories. Most of them are on my C2, Exceeds Expectations and the majority of the truly awe inspiring ones remain, sadly, unfinished. I still get a tear in my eye when I remember that Lori's Paradigm Of Uncertainty series will forever remain unfinished.

I don't want to be one of those authors. My story was the first to ever play with the idea of Harry going back in time and raising himself. I don't want to abandon it but I need a good kick in the pants. My life is completely and totally different (all in good ways) from how it was when I started writing it and honestly, when I got engaged everything just got thrown into the air and I think my writing is still up there somewhere, waiting to come down... three years later.

I'm hoping that joining a community such as this will inspire me to pick the story back up. The really sad thing, I have only about a chapter and a half to finish! Pathetic, I know! I just need something to get me out of my slump. So I can post that SeaQuest fic I've been working on in secret. You didn't see that last sentence did you?

Good. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Welcome to DLP.

Okay.

Oh, I don't know about that. The quality train (which is a godawful way of putting it, but hey) hasn't peaked. If anything, quality has become somewhat more refined. Now quantity, on the other hand, that's dwindled, but for the most part that's a good thing.

Vampires invade your quiet, seemingly-idyllic northern Maine town? A psychotic inter-dimensional clown that can morph into the stuff of nightmares start slaughtering your childhood buddies? Yes, horror novel indeed.

Yes, I suppose that story was worth finishing.

No, no it wasn't.

According to your ff.net profile, you posted your story in '07. I recall similar stories from '02 and '03. Still, I guess you could claim that your story was the first ever to play with the idea of Harry going back in time and raising himself... five years after someone else played with the idea of Harry going back in time and raising himself. It has been done before.

Honestly, I don't think DLP is what you're looking for. For one, we're not here to get you out of your slump. Another, I had a glance at your story and it's not quite in line with even the minimal acceptable standards of a 'good' story round here.

I won't go into detail. Post it in 'For Review', if you wish, to get some general feedback. It needs work. If I'm to be honest, it needs to be set on fire.

Still, welcome.

3. Sisgood

Sisgood Squib

Joe, the Quality train referred to was NOT fanfiction... it was Rowling's books. I, personally believe that they peaked with the fourth book, took a slight ride downhill in the fifth book, took a steep drop in the sixth, caught on fire in the seventh and finally crashed and exploded (to my great joy) in the cursed epilogue. If they include that in the movie... I am going to do something extreme.

Lol, if all you have read is the prologue and one or two chapters after... I agree! I have a draft where I tried to shine up the first couple of chapters.

I think I started the story back in '05 or '06. I looked for quite a long time for a similar story before I began to make that claim. I was one of the first. That better?

Thanks for the Lukewarm welcome! :p

And yes, I am haunted by Vampire clowns from an alternate dimension. ROFL!
    Truthfully... it involved an idiot former friend of mine, messing with the occult, summoning a Celtic god (demonic would be the word I would use) and naive younger me thinking I could help him.

Fun times... fun times...

4. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler Prestige

High Score:
    Ugh. I just hate being condescended to. Try working on that and maybe give it another go.

Edit: Also, oddly, you've only posted elsewhere in other people's introduction threads. I don't know why I find that strange, but I do.

5. Sisgood

Sisgood Squib

How am I being condescending? Please explain. I am mostly sarcastic when I write/respond in forums. It's just part of me I guess.

I am ghosting the other forums in here and reading the posts. I am also sleepy and doing my level best to fight off a cold.

I will post Taking Care of Myself in the Authors section sometime tomorrow. I think THAT'S what I need.

Night.

6. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

ಠ_ಠ

Having actually slogged through your story way back when, I can honestly say that the only way that will end is badly. Take your lukewarm welcome as it was intended.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Verbal flatulence
    Much worse than original
    OP, no more posts please.

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Last one was six, derp.
    Most say "Oh-pee," not just "Ahp."
    OP: you're ridic'.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

3AM Haiku
    Poems I cannot write well.
    Intent was quite clear.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Still Gio, You fail
    The black Haiku was intact
    Even if quite gay.

11. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    How so, Seratin,
    Gio's OP was OK,
    The OP was gay.

12. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

13. Teresoul

Teresoul Seventh Year

Looking for motivation on DLP... Some people are downright blind. Or stupid. Or too optimistic for their own good.

14. Palindrome

Palindrome Magma Moderator Moderator DLP Supporter

I disagree.

I've been inspired and motivated to write by DLP more than by anyone or anywhere else: the sheer amount of amazing writers here coupled with no-bullshit feedback and honesty inherent within is singularly the best thing a writer can receive if they want to improve their work.

Sure, if you're looking for mindless praise and adoration as per ff.net then you ought to stay the fuck away. But if you're praised here, you'll know that you damn well deserve it.

15. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Stand aside, bitches
    I can write a haiku, too
    Refrigerator

16. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Endlessly Tilting Windmills

Scorn heaped upon
    the kitchen-damned housewife
    warms DLP's hearts.

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff Prestige DLP Supporter