1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 20: Half-Blood Prince, Ch. 16 - 22

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by BTT, Mar 13, 2017.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's fucking mental.

Suppose that's supposed to make Hermione saying the Prince's book was bad news ironic, but that still seems quite a bit more of a dickmove. Or cunt move, I suppose.

No mention of other (non?)existent wizarding nobility, sadly(?).

Why didn't Scrimgeour do some basic research? Hell, why didn't he offer Harry more incentives to give his support? Have him fire Umbridge or something.

Goddamnit Dumbledore, this is just another fanfiction cliché about you that's being -
    Oh, wait. Never mind.

TR senior had a rough life.

So that's canon. Wasn't sure if it was.

Turns out that if you drink a Love potion you instantly know who the one you're supposed to fall in love with is.
    None of that "love potion makes you fall in love with the first person you see" rubbish.

Must've learned that from Big D.

Try as I might, I find it hard to really imagine Tom's face at this point in time.

What a dirty joke.

Wait, what? When did that happen, and why?

Arrested? Couldn't they just dispel the Imperius somehow?

Heh.

So close and yet so far.

2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Something that has still not registered in the minds of fanfiction writers.
    Amazing! How did the Ministry get this stroke of good, logical thinking?
    I wonder when did his classmates realize that Tom Riddle is the notorious Dark Lord? Not like it's common knowledge. Or maybe Dumbledore told them his identity and only then they refused, which is pretty stupid of him.
    And did the Ministry workers not wonder why they got an alarm for underage magic use, when Morfin is an adult? And did they just ignore that besides three Killing Curses, that underaged wizard also used a Stunner, a Memory Charm, and a Horcrux creating spell? Rowling really fucked up things with her stupid Trace – whose only apparent reason to exist was to give Harry a hard time during summers.
    Did you really need Harry for this, Dumbledore? You don't need amazing powers of persuasion to get it from Slughorn. You just need to tell him the truth, that it will help destroy Voldemort, and that nobody will think worse of him for it. Such cheap manufactured drama.
    Hermione is just plain nasty in this book.
    Those are pretty good reflexes.
    [Conspiracy theories intensify]
    So are we, Harry.
    If it's that easy to hex Peeves, why does no one else does it?
    Black suit? No robes?
    Put it down in the record: a lecherous old lady pinched Lord Voldemort's chick.
    Do you expect your hypothetical students to call you Lord Voldemort in class, Tom?

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Technically Ron saw the card with Romilda's name on it. So no you don't fall in love with the first person you see. You fall in love with the person who gives you the potion and or tells you that they gave you the potion.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Chapter 17: A Sluggish Memory

So where's this fanon about Harry always falling out of the Floo come from?

The library which closes early enough for Hermione to have gone to bed at seven o'clock a few chapters ago? Excellent lie, Harry.

Chapter 18: Birthday Surprises

What's that? Wand-waving in a Potions class? Wonder how Snape felt about teaching that...

Ok, why on earth is that a book that would be in a school library, even its restricted section? I mean, research projects, fine, but also research projects.

How does that even work?

So Apparation is basically just wishing really hard to be elsewhere? Then how come I've never vanished from work, or awkward social situations? Explain that one, Rowling!

Chapter 19: Elf Tails

Well, a third, but who's counting?

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!

The poison has obviously affected his divination abilities, but he's not far off.

Well, he does have a bit of Voldemort in his head.

A big thing is made of Harry hitting all the technicalities of meaning here, but he actually doesn't. Technically, contacting Narcissa wouldn't necessarily mean contacting Draco. That's covered in the spirit of Harry's instructions, but that wasn't the problem with Sirius's instructions - the problem there was that Kreacher did follow the letter of them.

Chapter 20: Lord Voldemort's Request

Fucking ouch.

Interesting. How so?

Hah!

Friendly is a stretch, but ok.

Chapter 21: The Unknowable Room

Dude, let people self-identify.

And the Room suddenly turns into the Slytherin dorm.

Chapter 22: After the Burial

I know shes not supposes to be the brightest bulb in the box, but seriously, how has Lavender not taken the hint yet?

How many times has Hagrid sent them letters by owl, even within the school? Why is everyone relying on random students this year?

What's the significance of this, then?