1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 23: Deathly Hallows, Ch. 9 - 15

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by BTT, Apr 3, 2017.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A feeling. Deus ex Hermione to the rescue is this book's alternate tagline.

Harry's actually really perceptive.

This is the extent of the curses set for Snape? Some basic shit right out of a horror movie? Fucking hell.

Oh, come on.

Bit of an anticlimax, isn't it?

Harry tore into Lupin, goddamn. Best part is that he's completely right.

This plan... on one hand, sure, it works, but there's shitloads that could've gone wrong if not for a lot of quick thinking.

It was at this moment that Hermione knew she had fucked up. Yes, if you have a direct fucking channel into the mind of the enemy you're supposed to beat, that's a bad thing.

Then how about you just... hide the bodies? You can't tell me there isn't anywhere they can shove a couple of immobile bodies.

I forgot Albert Runcorn was a dick. I forgot his whole existence, in fact.

Patronus: reliant on happiness, not Good or Light Magic or whatever.

It's weird that Yaxley is somewhat presented as the Death Eater to beat for most of the book.

Hermione bitches at Ron for not wanting them to say Voldemort's name, but guess the Taboo proved her wrong.

Presumably this is referring to Dudley's diets, but way to throw oil on the fanon fire, Rowling.

Oh come the fuck on.

2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

It would be obvious anyway, Harry. Stop being so stupid, if you don't want to commit murder, at least cut their arms or something. You have the opportunity to disable one of the most notorious Death Eaters, who would later go on to murder your friends.
    Hmmm.
    Considering that Lily is writing about your birthday, I'd say he wasn't, because that was months before Pettigrew told Voldemort their location (and according to PoA, months before they even went into hiding).
    Regulus left Voldemort because he fed poison to a house-elf. A treatment that's pretty normal by house-elf owner standards. Right. It wasn't the murders or anything. He just felt sorry for the poor elf that he volounteered. This is quite stupid.
    So Lupin knows you can't track anyone who apparates, but it took him three days to shake off the Death Eaters tailing him? …right.
    Because the Ministry has gone down the drain, geddit??? How very subtle.
    Yeah, make a known Death Eater the head of Magical Law Enforcement. No one will bat an eyelash lol. Does Rowling really expect us to believe that people didn't notice this coup?
    Come on. COME ON.
    Why a Revulsion Jinx, Hermione? Why not a Stunner? (right, because Rowling needed them to set on a retarded camping trip from hell)
    How hard is it to enter a supermarket under the Invisibility Cloak and take some food? More forced drama.
    So, Gregorovitch never recognized the youngster as probably the most famous wizard in 20th century Europe? And apparently Voldemort didn't do his research as well.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Chapter 9: A Place to Hide

But she didn't think to charm them in place to stop them falling over every time she moves the bag. Also, she's thought to pack an entire library, spare clothes in case they had to leave the wedding in a hurry, but no food? I know that doesn't become an issue for a while, but tinned food lasts for ages. Hey ho.

Tell yourself that in a hundred pages.

So...memory modification is a different spell to wiping someone's memory? Or had Rowling already forgotten what she did to Mr and Mrs Granger?

Chapter 10: Kreacher's Tale

Yes, they're the kind of thing you'd expect Dumbledore to have put on the books of seriously Dark magic that he had just lying around, but again, hey ho.

Naricissa, maybe. I'd put money on Bellatrix not being capable of it.

Chapter 11: The Bribe

Like it makes a difference.

But no mention of other schools in the UK at all.

Chapter 12: Magic is Might

We can perhaps assume that this is why there are so many Death Eaters stood outside Grimmauld Place for so long, but for a spell specifically designed to override protective enchantments, it's interesting to note that the Taboo can't break the Fidelius.

Way to a man's heart and all that. More seriously, Rowling going to extra lengths to highlight Ron's love of food in preparation for the angst of the camping trip, whereas previously his main characteristic about food is that he's a slob about eating.

Shame you apparently don't know how to render things invisible, or the Disillusionment Charm. Seems like something Hermione might have looked up at some point.

Chapter 13: The Muggle-Born Registration Commission

Maybe, maybe not. I'd always sort of assumed that she's not a terribly skilled witch, but in fairness to her most of the magic she does cast is fairly advanced stuff, and just because she didn't teach it doesn't mean she doesn't know it.

Possibly the laziest bit of magic in the series. Something like the quick quotes quill, or one you can enchant to write something while you go and do something more interesting, I can understand, but a spell to make a quill write a letter while you stand there?

Wizards don't have greengrocers?

Chapter 14: The Thief

Because this is the first time we've ever seen it presented as something truly dangerous, rather than inconvenient, potentially Statute threatening, or just painful. For all the difference it would have made, Yaxley could just have fired off a curse as they left. It wouldn't be so out of place if it weren't for the fact that Hermione later Apparates them away from Voldemort and an exploding building without incident.

Some of Harry's magical intuition is rubbing off on him!

Again, why? She has pretty much everything else, just in case.

Chapter 15: The Goblin's Revenge

Back in chapter 6. Blatant contradiction it is, then! (or just assume that Voldemort put extra protections on the locket, or the books were wrong, or something like that - easy enough to explain away, it's just annoying that has to be done)

But they can't go to a supermarket. I know I'm banging on about it, but it's obvious bullshit.

Well, you've lived with him for most of the last six years, so I'd hope you do.