1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

What A Good Intro Looks Like (NEWBIES READ)

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Narf, Jun 25, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Narf

Narf Administrator Admin DLP Supporter

After that new guys thread, Spanker or something, I got an idea. An intro that show the newbs how to properly do an intro. That way, they don't have any excuse when we cuntpunt them for being idiots.

----------------

Hi. Name's Sree. I go by Jolly Rancher on FFnet.

... and also Riku11. ;)

I came by this forum when Zevrillion emailed me after reading my HP story. He had just started this site and needed some mods and admins for the site, so I agreed to join. And I'm glad I did, this site has really taken off since then. And DLP IRC has gotten rid of my boredom for the past 2 years almost.

I started reading fanfiction about 5 years ago. It began with DragonBall Z, then after I got bored with that, moved on to Harry Potter. My first fic was a story by neutral, forgot what it was called. It intrigued me, so I continued to read HP fanfiction. In the beginning, I'm ashamed to say, I read anything and everything. I wasn't picky or choosy, if it had a semi-interesting summary, I was in. I didn't care about cliches or anything. I even read H/G. Humiliating, I know.

Nowadays, I choose what fanfiction I read much more carefully. If I choose the fics myself, the average chapter length has to be 4,000+ words, and good grammar and spelling is a must. I rarely read any stories that are only a few chapters long, unless someone recommends it to me, or if I find it in the DLP library. I will read H/G fics, but they have to be done exceptionally.

My favorite genre right now is Alternate Dimensions, where Harry is thrown into another universe. Not many great stories out for this genre, but meh.

A Stranger in an Unholy Land by Jono has to be my favorite completed story. It has everything I like. My favorite genre, good spelling and grammar, huge chapters, nice plot, and good characterizations. The only problem is that the author takes a while to upload new chapters.

And my favorite story that is still a WIP is Denarius Renegade by Shezza88. And I know that this is probably a ego rush to the chick.

I don't really ship that much, but my favorite pairing has been Harry/Fem!Blaise for quite a while. I wanted to kill JKR when she announced that Blaise was a boy. Other than H/G, the pairing I despise the most is Harry/Daphne. I just think that she's a fucking whore that deserves to die. I abhor Daphne Greengrass. Goddamn bitch.

I hate slash fics. I absolutely hate them. They're taking over every single fandom that I'm in, and it doesn't look like it's going to stop. Fucking 13 year old fangirls. I'm also not a big fan of fics where Harry is the heir of one of the founders, or Merlin, or someone else.

I also hate stories in which Snape is a mentor, father figure, or someshit to Harry. Stupid fangirl cunts just don't realize that Snape hates Harry, and that will never change. The same feeling is directed towards any story in which Harry and Malfoy get along.

It also annoys me when people start bashing on James. We've seen one incident where he bullies Snape. Suddenly Snape is a victim and James is the bad guy. But there was also that one memory in which James tries to hold off Voldemort alone so that his wife and son could perhaps get to safety. And what about the 6 years of Snape bullying Harry? Especially when they have a teacher/student relationship going on. Some people just conveniently forget these facts. I hate authors like that.

And when an author changes Lily's background so she's an orphan pureblood from an extremely powerful family... yeah, I click the back button right away. She's a muggleborn, plain and simple.

I am in the process of writing a new fic, a Azkaban!Harry with a Count of Monte Cristoesque theme to it. It's going very slowly, though. It'll probably be a while till it hits ffnet.

Now some real life info.

I'm from Orange County, in Southern California. And I also hate that show. Currently, though, I'm in India studying medicine. I'll be out in 5 and a half years. Sucks.

I love playing basketball. The best sport ever invented, in my opinion. My favorite team is the Lakers and fuck all you haters. Yeah, that means you, BioBitch. My most hated team is the Suns.

I also like reading, comics, video games, and weed.

Some books I like include: The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, Nightfall by Isaac Asimov and Silverberg, the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov, The Stranger by Albert Camus, and The Great Gatsby. There are many more, but I'm too lazy to list them.

I like all kinds of music (except for country), and will listen to anything with a good beat. Hip-hop/rap is what I usually listen to, but I've also started to listen to some alternative rock recently.

And I think that's it.

Hopefully the newbs will look at this thread and see how to properly do their intro thread. Hopefully.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Standard Response

One can only hate Goku so much. ;)

I've heard this somewhere before, hmmm...

No McFlarry love? :(
    You think that's bad? Try looking for any substantial amount of DBZ fics on MediaMiner that aren't Bulma/Vegita. Mary Sue paradise. -.-

... Lol?

Goku actually did something, actually saved people, in canon DBZ, and you fucking despise him.

James acted like a zergling, and you hate when people bash him? You weird cunt.

3. Narf

One fucking line I had about DBZ and you tie it in with everything I had in there.

4. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

DLP's very own closet Indian....sigh.... :D

5. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

The Great Gatsby is gay.

Ahem.

I have nothing more to say to you.

o*o

6. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Aren't you one eyed? why is your smiley showing two?

7. Murton

o*o == Sree == Indian.

o_x == me.

(note you cannot represent a retina detachment and a cataract in ASCII accurately.)

8. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Ah my mistake.....

9. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

GTFO fag. Rhiana for life!

10. BioPlague

BioPlague MD DLP Supporter

Wait, wtf. Murton is actually one-eyed? Holy shit, Murton just elevated to greatest poster in the history of DLP.

11. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Never knew you were Jolly Rancher, thought that was a female.
    The Tangibility of Magic was a great fic at that time. Too bad, you never finished it.

12. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Moderator

Sree...I am speechless, I can't believe you traveled so far to fulfill a racial stereotype. I mean, really, you could have stayed in California and done IT, opened a 7/11 and Gas Station attached...but you went all the way to India to become a Doctor and then come to America to work. Now that is commitment to tradition.

Bravo!

13. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I give that intro 1/5 for tl;dr

14. Murton

Believe it.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

8D

You wrote a WIP just to bash Goku.

I was amused.

16. World

World Oberstgruppenführer Moderator DLP Supporter

Nice to see you.

Welcome to DLP :)

17. BioPlague

Your avatar sucks.

18. Narf

You skeeted to it, didn't you Bio? And you're made because you broke your vow of celibacy and no skeeting. :(

19. BioPlague

What's she doing with her fingers? Getting ready to call a Yu-Gi-Oh card? I mean, c'mon.

Who is that? The Phoenix? Aren't you a little old to be reading comics?

20. Narf

Yeah, it's the Phoenix. And take a look at what site you're on, faggot. According to you, you're too old to read Harry Potter.

And don't compare the Phoenix to Yu-Gi-Oh. -_-

Not open for further replies.