1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Makes A Good Naruto Fic?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Koalas, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Menace's recent announcement got me thinking, on the differences between HP and Naruto fandoms. What I'd consider the great fics of each. So what in your opinion goes into a good Naruto Fic? What grabs you (other then technical writing skill)? A unique power? A grittier setting? Fem!Sasuke? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

2. Russano

Russano Disappeared

A plot that actually makes me give a shit for once.

3. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Ah, good fighting scenes, originality (narutoverse is pretty wide, there is plenty to write about) and especially Naruto's character development. I do like fics where he strives for peace, but I would rather read the ones that actually make him struggle with his ideals. Also, less therapy-no-jutsu and more ass kicking.

Edit: Almost forgot. A plot that actually goes forward is essential, plenty of good fics get stuck in Pre-Shippuden after hundreds of thousands of words. I don't really want to read about a 12 years old cast for that long.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only Naruto fics I really enjoy are those that make me forget it was based on a manga/anime. I dislike the over the top approach to everything that shonen manga take, so a fanfic that brings character quirks down to a believable level is much better than one that doesn't. This includes outright ignoring visual gags like sweatdrops and nosebleeds.

There are other things, but that's the major one for me.

5. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To add onto this, the storytelling style is really important. There's some things that can only happen in a manga due to the visual medium and the suspension of disbelief already present. It's much less existent in written work, even if fanfiction is pretty lenient.

Failing that... Team7shipping. *wolf whistles*

6. Freed

Freed Squib

Battles that don't last for more then 2-3 minutes and fights where characters don't punch someone when they have the opportunity to stab them.

...Seriously, aren't ninja supposed to fight dirty?

7. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

I like the stories where the skills are won through blood, sweat and tears (not cheating by giving the main character Sharingan/Rinnegan or the instant learning through the use of thousands of Shadow Clones).

8. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Good character interaction and world building. For the second, you'll probably have to ignore pretty much everything from part 2, but not necessarily.

Reasonable power levels help a lot, for fights. The last few bits suffered from DBZ syndrome, where everyone could blow up the planet with a twitch of a nipple.

9. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

The vast majority of worldbuilding in Naruto comes from shippuden, what.

10. Styx0444

Exactly, and most of it's retarded. At least, the way Kishimoto told it. It's completely possible to include all of it and still write an interesting world, but the ability to actually do so is fairly rare.

11. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

The best worldbuilding in Naruto comes from shippuden. Keep chugging that fanon kool-aid and whining about sharinhax, friendo.

12. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

A good fic needs a good Jiraiya. If Jiraiya doesn't play much of a role, then there needs to be a good Hiruzen. If that's not possible either, give me a good Kakashi. If those three aren't available in any capacity (and quality) then the story is probably not one I'm going to stick with.

Aside from that I also dislike a weak Sakura.

13. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I miss the time when kishimoto wasn't Indian...

14. Styx0444

I'm actually cool with most of the sharingan's bullshit. Izanagi and Susanoo are kinda dumb, if only because how, but the setting includes bullshit ninja magic and if I couldn't have accepted that I wouldn't have read it.

No, most of my problems come from basically everything involving Kaguya, Zetsu, the Jyubi, Obito, the Rinne Sharingan and the fucking chakra fruit.

15. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The things I'm gonna say are probably a bit biased.

• No Slash or Harem
    • No Naruto/Hinata (I see it as the Naruto equivalent of Harry/Ginny)
    • No Minato Bashing (Seriously, what was the guy supposed to do)
    • No Sharinngan or Rinnegan for Naruto
    • No changing of power levels because of crossovers (E.G Giving Naruto access to only one element in the Avatar Universe).
    • Repeating the Wave Arc almost exactly the same. Make at least 5 different changes if you plan to do it at all. Unfortunately, since it adds a time for bonding fro Team 7 before the Chunin exams, it's usally better to do it.
    • ANBU identities aren't secret. When you have people with unique hair like Yugao and Kakashi, it's a bit hard to maintain secrecy.
    • NEVER EVER use "Kit" or "Precious People".
    That's all for now, I'll probably add mroe later.

16. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    The best Naruto fics are the ones that don't have to be rewritten abandoned rewritten and then abandoned again only to end up being rewritten. But not in that order : ^ )