1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

What media are you consuming?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by CareOtters, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Fanfic:
    Rereading my own to make sure I have consistency as I crank up writing on the sequel, does that count? Otherwise, fanfic reading has fallen off in general for me, especially this year.

Books:
    @Joe's stuff. Which reminds me, I need to write a review for Elder Shadow on Amazon. Considering picking up Stormlight #3, but not sure if I want slog through Shallan's pseudo-intellectual annoyance. The more I think about it, the more I'm of the opinion that I like Sanderson's worldbuilding, but not so much his writing.

Shows:
    enduring ads and shitty quality to binge the 8th season of Masterchef because I don't have Hulu. Don't judge me, I fucking love that show. It nails every shitty reality tv cliche trope on the fucking head, complete with manufacting tension by cutting away to ad breaks at specific times, but I can't help it. Gordon Ramsey saying "stunning" or "cooked beautifully" just glues me to the screen. Also Mindhunter on Netflix. That was fun. I saw the season 2 premiere of Designated Survivor and honesly, it left me completely disinterested to keep watching.

I also follow like five different channels that do video essays about movies. Here's a link to one of them. Check out this video of his about the Fast&Furious movies.

Joe
  2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

Books: currently Patrick O' Brian's Master and Commander; also Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series. In terms of non-fiction it's mostly reference material for writing (e.g. medieval jobs in England; water in England), grammar books, a few articles for my uni courses.

TV/Shows: John Oliver, Jim Jefferies, Bill Maher -- that's about it.

Anime: seasonal -- right now Inuyashiki, Ballroom no Yakuso, Shokugeki no Soma; also catching up on Arslan no Senki.

Youtube: music for the most part, a few Colbert clips, and whatever else catches my fancy -- no real M.O. here.

Fanfic: very, very rarely. It's hard to get back into it after reading a lot of great original fiction; the only thing that can pull me back is a fresh premise and good prose -- otherwise I'm not bothering for the most part.

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

Fanfic: Seeing as I finally watched Game of Thrones, I'm giving that section a go. Found a few good ones, few horrid ones, and a lot in between. HP is pretty damned stagnant.

TV: Premier League and MLS matches. Watching all the runs of The Great British Baking Show on netflix - my younger daughter wants to become a baker, so she's all over that. That's about it other than random cooking channel viewing when I'm bored.

Actual books: Just got the third book in the Pillars of the Earth series - A Column of Fire, by Ken Follett. Starting that today, and it'll consume all my free time until it's finished.

Man, that's about it really. I've been hiking a lot on weekends, so my media has been nature.

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's sad. What's some good Original Fiction that you could rec.

Currently just finished Bo Jack Horseman on Netflix. Its pretty much Californication in cartoon form.

On a Mass Effect fic kick, after looking at r/HFY, found some decent Humans Curbstomp the council fics, but then I've read all of them.

Youtube: Got caught up on Binging with Babish

Watching Forged in Fire recently on History channel, thinking about trying to do some blacksmithing.

5. Seyllian

Seyllian Professor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Zombie
    I'll give some of my recs for fantasy. I'd say anything by Ursula Le Guin, Guy Gavriel Kay, and Robin Hobb. If you want to get more adventurous with hard prose there's Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    I'd agree with this, to a point. As much as I love his books, he's not someone I recommend as an example of high quality prose, although there's something to be said for someone who can write well if not spectacularly book after book; lots of other authors can't.

Anyway. I'm on a bit of a Batman kick in terms of fanfic, specifically Batman/Catwoman stuff. Reading Chris Dee's Cat Tales at the moment, which are pretty fun, and I posted Unpretty's Sorrowful and Immaculate Hearts series for review a few weeks ago. Otherwise, not reading much fanfic.

For the first time in my life, I'm actually watching stuff on youtube other than random funny videos and movie trailers. Over the last six months or so, I've really got into Outside Xbox and their sister channel Outside Xtra. They're a mix of let's plays, reviews/discussion shows and lists (five times Batman totally killed someone rather than knocking them unconscious, seven most impractical weapons in gaming, that sort of thing). They'd be the first to admit that - at least by the standards you might expect of videogame journalists - they're not the greatest at gaming, but they're always fun to watch, and they're getting me into games I might not otherwise have looked twice at (or they would be, if I could afford them, but you know what I mean).

Speaking of games, I've about halfway through Dishonoured 2, with Death of the Outsider ready to go afterwards. I've also recently downloaded the Telltale Batman series, not played much yet but what I have was pretty cool. Trying to resist the urge to pick up some newer games, because I've got about twenty games that I've not finished or started, in some cases, but new things...

TV, I've been meaning to start Stranger Things 2, but haven't got round to it yet. Other than that, I've mainly been watching Taskmaster, which is a gameshow comprised of comedians doing stupid things for points. It's ridiculously funny, and can be watched on Dave or UKTV Play.

7. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

I've seen Sanderson state several times that he prefers to write less stylized prose to get his stories across. He usually mentions the window pane metaphor (slightly paraphrased): the window of a writer like Ursula Le Guin is really pretty -- she has stained glass and everything -- but sometimes it's so pretty that it takes the focus away from the story itself; he tends to keep his window clean and simple, so the story and worldbuilding can shine through.

Though he also goes to great lengths to say that none of those styles is inherently superior to the other: both can deliver a good reading experience, just in different ways. I tend to agree there. I liked Elantris and Mistborn -- they were written in pretty simple prose -- but I also liked Le Guin's far more elaborate prose.

8. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

I recently read the first novel from the Earthsea series and I loved it, but I'm a little tepid about reading the rest of the series.

Any specific Mass Effect fics that stood out to you? Currently reading OSABC, as well as the quests Altered Humanity and Terminus Quest on SV.

I read the first Earthsea novel on your recommendation and loved it. Are the sequels just as good? Something about the sample of the 2nd book is offputting to me, not exactly sure what. How far in the series are you and what is your favorite installment so far?

I'm also curious about your original writing escapades. Anything you've posted or willing to share? I loved your Naruto stuff, though I haven't finished the second story because I put off reading it for too long and forgot what happened. Probably going to reread it as soon as I get in a Naruto mood again, though I've got a lot of scifi to get through before that happens.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    @Eilyfe

If Sanderson wants his writing to be as mundane as clear glass, then he nails it. I think you should try to strike a balance. It doesn't have to be between flavorless and purple prose. Otherwise Sanderson should just put all this plots on the Cosmere wiki. If the prose itself isn't interesting, I probably don't want to read unless the story and characters are goddamn amazeballs. He worldbuilds like a boss, but his, it seems, favorite character type, the precocius, socially awkward intellectual woman, (princess whatsherface from Elantris, Vin, Shallan, Janah) is boring as fuck.

10. Zombie

High Score:
    Anomalous Effect and Transcendent Humanity and Humanity's Rebirth. Have all been decent so far. Tried a Deus Ex cross and a Prototype cross but I get tired of reading about Alex Mercer.

I generally am super wary of quest. What about the ones you listed do you find appealing? Is it humans fucking shit up? The thing I like about the three above is that it's Humanity fucking the council, which apparently is a more common trope than I expected, but at the same time there are tons of weakly executed fics with that premise.

Also link to the quest. I'm looking for more ME fics. So I'll give anything a try.

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

To the first: I loved the 3rd book in the series the most, although the 2nd is pretty good, too. I would recommend the second as well though, yes. (For the way she writes, I'd recommend her in general. Even if the story were somewhat weird, her prose is a huge pull.) The second book maintains a clear fantasy vibe and setting, but it is more confined than the first.

As for my original stuff: done with the first novel; it has received some great feedback, but now I need to implement that -- there are some glaring holes that need some fixing. For NaNoWriMo I also started with the second novel; I don't know if it is feasible, but I would like having cranked out this beauty by the time the year is over: I'm aiming for that, at least. Thank you for the interest, though. I appreciate it.

I haven't read enough Sanderson to have noticed that trend among his characters. In terms of prose, sure, no one can accuse him of being too flowery; I just haven't yet found that to be an issue when I read him.

12. Zombie

High Score:
    Reading some Worm/FMA cross, and a Worm/Elderscrolls cross here recently, or well, trying to. They're both dry enough that its taking a considerable effort to get into it.

Also, watching Mindhunter, a show on Netflix. Its rather well done, I guess. I like it better than I thought I would. It reminds me of a prequel to Criminal Minds, in all honesty. Criminal Minds used to also be a decent show at some point, until they started doing the whole monster of the week format. This one is mostly them building a timeline and establishing the role of a serialkiller in criminology. Them building the ground works of what the BSU would become. Some FBI shenanigans. The main character, is to a degree, super fucking annoying. He has some kind of quirks about him that just makes him super fucking awkward to watch.

Overall, good show.

Making alcoholic butter beer due to an episode of Binging with Babish I watched earlier today.

No music to speak of.

13. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

I'm going to do the treacle tart for thanksgiving, because fuck pumpkin pie.

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Treacle tart is delicious. However, the diabetic shock combined with the sugar crash that comes afterwards kind of curbs the enthusiasm.

15. Majube

Majube Seventh Year

High Score:
    What's the LitRPG fic called? I've been on a bit of a kick for that, what with the Wandering Innthis web serial I've been keeping up with since July, thinking about reccing it here actually and this kinda/a bit funny mooderino fic called Bitter.

With fanfiction, a week or two back (I've been busy studying for exams coming up in a week) I was on an epic fic kick, rereading Pedestal and finishing it up, since I hadn't realised it'd been finished since I read it last, read their other pokemon fics and some other long pokemon fics. Then after that, headed over to Coeur Al'Arans fics and caught up on their long RWBY fics, Not this tiime fate was pretty good but I was more interested in the litrpg take on rwby.

Haven't been watching much on youtube really, just stuff like CGP, some cooking vids but I mostly bake, an animation tutorials.

Book-wise I'm out of reach from a library right now so I've actually been looking at free e-books lately, the last time I read fee e-books I used Epubbud but it seems to have finally been shut down so maybe it got sued again, regardless at least I've finally got around to reading classics like Pride & Prejudice off of stuff like project Gutenburg. r/freeEbooks been a help for stuff like that, though I haven't been reading as much fantasy or sci-fi books as I'd like lately.

Haven't had much time for Netflix and don't have a go-to series lately. Going to try and catch up to that Marvel mix but I only watched 1 episode of Iron Fist before I quit that and I heard he's the downside of it.

For music I've still been on a bit of an Alt-rock, punk, and 90's rap/hip-hop kick since summer, though not really 90's rap more just Tupac, Eric B, Rakim, and Biggie. For punk I've been listening to everything from the Ramones to Rancid, and eh what I consider alt-rock is stuff like Oasis but this summer I was on a just in general rock kick from the clash to bon jovi and Guns N Roses to blur an oasis to Royal Blood an Death from above to Arcade fire an Cage the Elephant. Haven't been keeping up with listening to lots of music all that much, since the summer.